Bonded Warehouses: A Non-Cheaty Storage Solution

I'm forever staggering from New Atlantis Spaceport to the Lodge and back again carrying half a ton of cargo on my back. And it's ridiculous: there's loads of warehouse space around the port. Why can't I just hire some of it?

So: Bonded Warehouses. At a starport, talk to ship services or the Trade Authority rep. For a one-time, non-trivial fee, (maybe 50k Cr?) they'll give you a long lease on a bonded warehouse at the port. You can't go there physically, but you can transfer stuff there from your ship and the warehouse has infinite capacity.

For a further 100kCr, the Trade Authority will agree to make all your warehoused goods available on all planets where you've paid the fee. If you want Zero Wire on The Den and you have a ton of the stuff in New Atlantis, the TA will make the Zero Wire available to you in your  current location, subtracting it from your stock in New Atlantis. The effect is that all TA backed warehouses share the same container and their goods are available from any starport where you have paid for such warehousing.

This still doesn't transport your goods to the new outpost you're building, but it does give you somewhere to dump your current cargo and load up just what you expect you'll need. It also doesn't link the warehouse stock with any crafting stations, but if you have a workshop on your ship, you can load what you need from the warehouse.

Intended to be useful, without being too useful.

Edited by DocClox

You sir, are a glutton for punishment! Whilst your idea is commendably well thought out, I'm afraid I'm lazier than that. Ye old Bag of Holding has always been one of my favorite mods in any moddable game. The movie "Ultraviolet" brought the idea into the future with a little pocket dimension that holds nearly infinite amounts of stuff. That's what I would like. Something like that but linked to my person so I can sell, craft, research or build without actually having to manage and move around all the stuff necessary for those activities.

Yeah, it's cheaty, but I don't want a simulator so much as a sandbox. To me, inventory management has always been simply a necessary evil until someone comes out with a BOH mod.

4 hours ago, buzzbombr said:

Yeah, it's cheaty, but I don't want a simulator so much as a sandbox. To me, inventory management has always been simply a necessary evil until someone comes out with a BOH mod.

Entirely fair. Me, I feel like I'm pushing my luck when I load Bandolier in Skyrim. (I mean it lets me haul around 500 weight on Survival mode, so ...)

On 10/5/2023 at 10:21 AM, DocClox said:

I'm forever staggering from New Atlantis Spaceport to the Lodge and back again carrying half a ton of cargo on my back. And it's ridiculous: there's loads of warehouse space around the port. Why can't I just hire some of it?

I like the idea. I think it can go further as well - have a TA Cargo Link available for Outposts, pay the fee, have that cargo link available everywhere as well.

Also wouldn't mind a place you can dump loads of stuff and the TA buys up 5000Cr a day worth of it (possible at a worst cost than what you'd get doing it manually). This idea brought to you after the discovery that my ships cargo was mostly over 200 identical Maelstrons and 170 Grendls, plus a further 300 weapons. Opps.

Saying that, I'll probably do a Bag of Holding mod (Pocket Quantum Dimension?) since that is the first (and unreleased) mod I made for Skyrim (just a couple of months ago, yes, I'm sure there are hundreds out there. But woo, I mod now.)

As for hauling 5000kilos (or what ever unit of weight they use) of cargo across New Atlantis, did you know that if you are in orbit over New Atlantis, you can click The Lodge as a landing point, and will be placed just outside, regardless of how much you are carrying. This being a helpful hint I wish I knew in the first 100 hours of play.