What should I learn to prepare to mod Starfield?

Hi everyone!

I am not new here, but this is my first time posting. I have been playing Skyrim using mods including the mods on this site for maybe 5 years. I am currently playing Starfield and loving it! I have recently had a lot more time open up, and I would like to contribute to the community.

We have maybe 3-6 months before the creation kit is released for Starfield, and I would like to prepare now. Assuming let’s say I start from basically zero knowledge, what things would you suggest I practice and study to be best ready to help create mods when the time comes?

Thanks!

Edited by Zarkinator
  • Zarkinator changed the title to What should I learn to prepare to mod Starfield?

Really I think that depends on what kind of mods you want to create.

For example, there's no point in learning scripting if you're going to create armor mods; but if you're looking to create quest mods then you can probably skip learning to make meshes and textures and you'd want to learn scripting.

No matter what, you'll probably be using XEdit at some point, and I heard Elminster was already at work on creating a version for Starfield.  Some very simple mods can be created using just that.

Thank you for your reply! I am not a very good artist, so more likely I would be creating quest and feature mods I think. 

If I were to spend time learning to mod Skyrim, would a lot of that knowledge transfer over based on what we know about how Starfield was programmed? I appreciate any help from you all in helping me have a direction to go!

#1 creation kit # 2papyrus.   chat gpt  can help with scripting but it is good to know a little bit , #3 xedit  your best friends are going to be google and YouTube.  would a lot of that knowledge transfer? yes and no .  i am two years in as far as learning.  take notes on what you learn so you can go back and review   i have learned a lot form these two youtubers fall out 4 creation is twins with Skyrim slight differences but over all the same and starfield will be slightly more different    here is a good starting point 

On 9/7/2023 at 8:35 AM, Zarkinator said:

Hi everyone!

I am not new here, but this is my first time posting. I have been playing Skyrim using mods including the mods on this site for maybe 5 years. I am currently playing Starfield and loving it! I have recently had a lot more time open up, and I would like to contribute to the community.

We have maybe 3-6 months before the creation kit is released for Starfield, and I would like to prepare now. Assuming let’s say I start from basically zero knowledge, what things would you suggest I practice and study to be best ready to help create mods when the time comes?

Thanks!

Start modding Skyrim. Learn the scripting language, learn the kit. There will be a lot of differences between the two, but Starfield is still Creation Engine and will still (I assume) use Papyrus. If you have access to Fallout 4, mod that a bit as well because much of the way guns and equipment modding work in Starfield built upon what Fallout 4 had. By doing that, you won't be completely lost in Starfield's kit. It's going to take a while to get Starfield tutorials made so going in with some prior knowledge will help drastically.

Am 07.09.2023 um 15:00 Uhr sagte Zarkinator:

Danke für Ihre Antwort! Ich bin kein sehr guter Künstler, daher würde ich meiner Meinung nach eher Quest- und Feature-Mods erstellen.

Wenn ich Zeit damit verbringen würde, das Modifizieren von Skyrim zu erlernen, würde sich dann ein großer Teil dieses Wissens auf die Grundlage dessen übertragen, was wir über die Programmierung von Starfield wissen? Ich freue mich über jede Hilfe von Ihnen allen, die mir hilft, eine Richtung zu finden, in die ich gehen kann!

Quest mods in particular are an absolutely high art of creating mods.

It's not for nothing that the really good mods ... I'll mention "Laura's Bondage Shop" ... many years until they reach their current level.

So solo fighters usually won't get very far with these complex things - unless they invest thousands and thousands of hours of their free time.

---

Do something very simple - but which might help all pilots -> Cover EVERY moon and EVERY planet with a coordinate system - like our old earth globe has ... and the earth moon ... and Mars ... and Mercury

And just as for at least 400 years the position at sea has been indicated to the arc-second ... one should be able to expect the same in an SFI world.

19 hours ago, Lablover85742 said:

You should learn that any mods that go against transexualism will be banned on NexusMods.com, and your account will be banned.

Is this a bot account?  Or did you actually make a new account just to post some bullshit that has nothing to do with the post topic?