Creating Game in UE5, Wanting advice on animation

Morning all, First of all Thank you in advance for any and all advice I get.

So, here goes, I desided after a good few year of having a story for a game plot in my head that i would jump right in and try to develop it myself, Tried different engine, First i tried Renpy to make a visualRPG, didnt go well, Then i tried unity, that wasnt too bad but some of the things i wish to add to the game where not possible with this engine so lastly i tried Unreal 5.2, So far its going well but i need help and advice on animations both Standard and NSFW, I dont mind paying for them as long as they work with unreal 5.2.

Thanks again Denver25

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Corysia said:

I've been working with Unreal for a few years now and can probably point you at a number of resources for tutorials, classes, and assets.  And for goodness sake, be sure you nab all the Free for the Month assets Epic gives away each first Tuesday.

Yer iv done that this week lol, and all  help will be much apperacated, iv never really used unreal engine to create a game, and after having this game in my head for almost 10 years i desided that it was about time to try and do something about it, And due to my mental health issues its helping me but taking my mind to a completle different place where i can forget about everything but my games design and story, i even started a patreon page aswell although its free for everyone im not doing it for the money just my own piece of mind :)

55 minutes ago, denver25 said:

Yer iv done that this week lol, and all  help will be much apperacated, iv never really used unreal engine to create a game, and after having this game in my head for almost 10 years i desided that it was about time to try and do something about it, And due to my mental health issues its helping me but taking my mind to a completle different place where i can forget about everything but my games design and story, i even started a patreon page aswell although its free for everyone im not doing it for the money just my own piece of mind :)

I think I should offer you some advice on this, tho, as someone who's a lot further along the same path.  If you've never written a game before, don't try to make your dream game first.  Gamedev is much like writing.  To quote Earnest Hemmingway: "The first draft of anything is shit. That's very, very true.  We stumble and fall a lot as we learn this.  Always work TOWARD your game, but don't try to actually make it until you've two or three much smaller games completed.

Maybe part of your game has a certain mechanic.  Let's say it's jumping.  Write a game that is entirely based on jumping.  Make a start screen, end screen.  Have a goal the player has to reach.  Then maybe your next game has another core mechanic from the game you ultimately want to write.  Maybe that's multiplayer.  Now your next game might have competative jumping against another real player in a simple lan-based game.  Or maybe it's Steam.

I don't know where you're coming from or how far along you are.  I'm making several assumptions because of my experience of helping others in Discord, both in UE and Unity, to make VR games.  You can see some of my own earlier experiments on my YouTube channel.

On 9/13/2023 at 1:09 AM, Corysia said:

I think I should offer you some advice on this, tho, as someone who's a lot further along the same path.  If you've never written a game before, don't try to make your dream game first.  Gamedev is much like writing.  To quote Earnest Hemmingway: "The first draft of anything is shit. That's very, very true.  We stumble and fall a lot as we learn this.  Always work TOWARD your game, but don't try to actually make it until you've two or three much smaller games completed.

Maybe part of your game has a certain mechanic.  Let's say it's jumping.  Write a game that is entirely based on jumping.  Make a start screen, end screen.  Have a goal the player has to reach.  Then maybe your next game has another core mechanic from the game you ultimately want to write.  Maybe that's multiplayer.  Now your next game might have competative jumping against another real player in a simple lan-based game.  Or maybe it's Steam.

I don't know where you're coming from or how far along you are.  I'm making several assumptions because of my experience of helping others in Discord, both in UE and Unity, to make VR games.  You can see some of my own earlier experiments on my YouTube channel.

Yer, I can understand that, I have started my main game itself, But only really the basic's like the main menu and options menu with a few other things, been wacthing alot of youtube vids on other things i would like to add to the game itself, but desided that i would make little side project b4 i add them to the main game itself, I.e im working on a skills tree system and an inventory and stats system at the moment, taking my time with it though to make sure i know what im doing when it somes to adding it to the main game itself :)

5 hours ago, denver25 said:

im working on a skills tree system and an inventory and stats system at the moment, taking my time with it though to make sure i know what im doing when it somes to adding it to the main game itself :)

Are you doing C++ or Blueprint?  For C++, Stephen Ulibarri will be releasing a GAS (Game Ability System) class soon.  For Blueprint, you may want to look in to SmartPoly's SurvivalCraft course.

Are you doing C++ or Blueprint?  For C++, Stephen Ulibarri will be releasing a GAS (Game Ability System) class soon.  For Blueprint, you may want to look in to SmartPoly's SurvivalCraft course.

To be honest, Im trying both to see witch i can figure out the easiest, But so far iv found that the blueprints seem to be easier for me to get my headround, But that being said i havent really got anything like these you have just mentioned, I have just done it all myself with help from youtube lol, and some of them vids are abit of a pain to figure out lol. I was watching 1 about making a 3D main menu, and the person didnt talk and he was so fast at doing everything that i had to watch it 5/6 times and then gave up as i just couldnt figure it out lol, So im no watching another one that does the same thing but seems to be alot easier to see what he's doing and he talk you through it too(win win) but yer i think i need to look into some of the assets like what you have said :)

Here's some YouTube channels to look at:

https://www.youtube.com/@MakeGamesWithKatie Great beginner tutorials.  Sadly, she only made a few.
https://www.youtube.com/@MathewWadsteinTutorials - THE place to go for How to Use... and WTF is...?  He now works for Epic.
https://www.youtube.com/@MattAspland
https://www.youtube.com/@RyanLaley

Thank you so much, I will take a look at the now, Im not sure if i have said this already but i do have a patreon page for the game, Not much on it at the moment, Just a few of the main characters and profile with a little backstory to them and some screenshots from the market place of assets for them that im thinking of using but not sure at the moment, Link to the page is below and its free, no need to sub to the page,

https://www.patreon.com/CorruptionofMagic

Please take a look and see what you think of the characters i have put up so far and let me know what you think :)

6 minutes ago, Corysia said:

Paragon assets.  :blush:

yer, But im now thinking i want something different, so i may change them yet but goddess rannia will stay the same as i really like her in the gold armor with black and red hair, dragoness taimera and tianor will stay the same too, but others im thinking i want something different

• 3 weeks later...

Unreal Sensei - YouTube Has great free content, and his paid class is EXCELLENT! My son and I both used his class to learn gamedev in UE. 

TC Mabe - YouTube - Great content

Werewolven - YouTube - Unreal Engine Tutorials section - great Daz3d to UE and adding jiggle physics to characters

I own a lot of Daz3d content with interactive licenses so I use the Daz3d to UE plugin a lot, and Daz3d -> Character Creator -> UE. 

Edited by Ravensthorn