Mod Request/Discuss: Starfield Character Creation Mods

I got early access to starfield yesterday and I was already let down by the default Bethesda character creator.  Its not the worst, but we have been spoiled by what the modding community has done with Skyrim and Fallout 4.  I know it will be a while before we get an equivalent of Bodyslide or Looksmenu, but has anyone who knows what they are doing peaked at the game files yet? How hard will it be modify what is there or insert new assets?

Before we have the creation kit or a new framework like Looksmenu, would it possible to make these changes:

1. New hair colors.  The base ones are worse than Skyrim's textures, but a straight texture swap should be pretty easy.

2. Adding new assets into CC.  Basically increasing the number of hair textures or tattoos.

3. Increasing the slider limits.  I assume adding new morphs will take some time, but increasing the slider limits should help get a little more customization.

4 Adding new hairstyles.  I assume it just adding a model with collision physics, but I have no idea how hard that will be without the mod tools.

What do you all think about Starfield's character creation?  What would you like to see added?  Any thoughts on how difficult it will be to mod until we get better mod tools?

9 hours ago, t.ara said:

1 is there an engine editor available???

2 did you open that?

3 what can you see there???

4 do you have access to the body-files inside of the game content???

5 you need an overview of the game-structure at all...is that build like known from older bethesda games???

6 different body shapes will cause clipping of clothing and of weapon/asset use...for the gameplay I would not change that

7 is there a serious cam directory for the character cam???----very important!!!

8 as long there´s no serious access to the skeleton and the file structure of the game, you can forget that all

9 if the hair of starfield is not well looking, you maybe have not a perfect picture of the game-the hair is quite a serious progress of bethesda´s creations of the past (skyrim´s hairpacks mostly come from the sims2/3 gameplay)-i have not a problem with starfield´s hairs, I have a problem with all those stupid looking faces there...

10 i think that there will be missing tons of suiting tools for any sort of acces to the game-it will take some years to have some few acces, which is serious...and I do not see the same pleasure and fun, creating all this for starfield for a dedicated reason in compare with older games, which alow this access and which have a deep editing possibility at least to their animation systems

11 maybe in some years this is looking different

12 good luck and hope you find a good planet to live on...

Hi t.ara,  thanks for the reply and I really appreciate the work that you have done in the past.  I am NOT an expert in modding and my skills are limited to simple texture swaps or editing stats in with the Creation Kit.  I know we still have a lot of open questions and will need new tools made before we can come close to the type of mod support that Skyrim and F04 enjoy.

I started this topic for 2 reasons, first to see what type of mods for character creation are possible now (without modding tools), and second to start the discussion about what people would like to see in the future.  Getting input from experienced modders like yourself is really important.  I don't know enough to understand what limits are created by the new game engine or what mods are impossible without first getting modding tools in place.

As to actual content, I know everyone wants to change the body and outfit shape, but I think that's probably not likely until there is a framework built like Bodyslide and most likely a custom skeleton.

My complaint about the hair is purely aesthetic.  The physics on the hair models in game make them look really good and are a huge step up from vanilla Skyrim or Fallout.  My biggest complaint is with the textures.  Most of the hair textures look like they were pulled directly from skyrim and seem to be just a little washed out. I'd like the natural hair colors to be a little more vibrant and there to be few more options for the dyed colors.  As to the hairstyles, most are just boring.  This is the future, not everyone is an asteroid minor or has their hair cut in their mom's kitchen.  A few more futuristic styles would be nice, especially on the more prosperous planets.

Texture-swapping shouldn't be that difficult, but my real unknown is how difficult is it going to edit the Character menu with mod tools?  Can we add new textures or items to the existing menu sliders?  Can we increase the range on the morph sliders?  Is it possible to add entirely new sliders to the menu?

My hopes are pretty tempered for what mods will be possible right now, but I think its still good to have a discussion about what type of mods people want to see for the character editor and what are the limitations until we have a Creation Kit, script extender, or bodyslide framework.

Save and load presets would be nice as well, there are tons of people who have the time, inclination and creativity to create some truly stunning pc's, most of us however do not, allowing the exporting and importing of presets, assuming the game does not already do so would be a great boon.

8 hours ago, Varithina said:

Save and load presets would be nice as well, there are tons of people who have the time, inclination and creativity to create some truly stunning pc's, most of us however do not, allowing the exporting and importing of presets, assuming the game does not already do so would be a great boon.

it does not. it will have to be added when this games versions of racemenu/looksmen gets added.

Apart from the obvious (and necessary) appearance mods I think the game really needs more combat and QoL mods.

The initial combat experience was very frustrating. Heck, it's space age, and no one invented VATS already? (Granted, that was alternate history and all, but still.)

The gastronomy part was surprisingly elaborate yet unsurprisingly mediocre when it comes to actual gameplay benefits. About time percentage healing was default in foods too.

• 2 weeks later...

While I would not mind having a boob slider/triangle for females (which might be a cock slider/triangle for males), I am hoping for some updates on hair and on additional animation set choices. All of these are "big problems" so I am not sure how far we can get any time soon.

For hair:

I like giving my characters some (typically minor) imperfections which I then conceal. And most of the hair options in starfield have receding hairlines, which makes them useless for my purposes.

For animations: 

Basically, I can choose to walk like a dork or I can choose to walk like a different dork. And, perhaps there's a certain kind of poetic justice there - perhaps I am a dork and this is just karma. But... still... my character is supposed to be a competent athlete, capable of physical feats beyond my current capabilities, if I understand the game setting. Anyways, it would be great if my character could move like an athlete, or whatever.

Anyways...

All of these break down into several kinds of problems: 

There's the content problem, where we're waiting for people to figure out what's going on and we're waiting for tools and so on.

And, there's the problem of updating the interface. And, surprisingly, this seems like a largely solved problem. So... this probably turns into a coordination issue (do I have to give up feature a to get feature b because the modders were not working together)?

• 2 weeks later...