SKSE CTD problems

Elizinator

the problem is very straightforward. if i have ANY mod .dlls in my SKSE/plugin folder, the game will not start. period. ANY .dll at all other than "nioverride.dll.

this makes running a modded game VERY difficult. ive tried re-installing, and now i cant think of what else to do. once i remove the offending .dlls, the game starts fine from the SKSE_loader. but with the HDT physics dlls, or community uncapper, for example, it jsut wont start.

wtf is going on? and more importantly, how do i FIx it?

its fairly moot at this point.

i encountered another . . . something. intermittently, my game will slow to 3-4fps. sometimes in combat, sometimes not. presence or absence of NPCs doesnt matter, location or environment doesnt matter, actions dont matter. i uninstalled every SINGLE mod i had installed since before i had the problem, and it did nothing. having only 6 or so mods left, i uninstalled them also, and then Skyrim itself. i had installed it only 8 hours prior.

i was debating whether or not to try to return to this tragically incomplete and unstable game. this sort of problem does not entice me. even with hyper-vigilance and scrupulous reading, there is apparently no way to avoid game-breaking problems from creeping in - even with a dozen mods and less than an hour of playtime.

try to look in skse.log/skseloader.log if there is a problem with your skse, did your plugins loaded correctly?

If you already reinstall and remove all mod, then maybe there is something wrong with your .ini file.
try to replace anything inside document>games>skyrim to temporary place (like desktop,etc) and try to play it without any mod, and a new game of course...

nope, never got around to installing anything like that. i was literally only partway through installing my normal mod run. i had SkyUI, CBBE body, apachiihair, covergirl, BBP skeletons, FNIS, ACE talent balance stuff , and the sexlab stuff, plus one or two other magic mods. in the game, i hadnt even been out of helgen yet.i tried the community uncapper of course, and that caused . . . alot of headache.

i dont really have much in the way of anti-virus, precisely because they get in the way so much. but i did have windows defender on for some reason, so ill try without that stupid feature when i re-install tomorrow.

i decided it definitely wouldnt hurt to get steam out of ProgramFiles, and i was uninstalling Skyrim anyways i tried running as admin; didnt do squat. and yeah, its win7

skse version?

I have Fuz Ro D'oh.dll; nioverride.dll; nitpick.dll; showracemenu_precachekiller.dll; SKSE_Elys_Uncapper.dll; zz EstrusUtil.dll inside skse>plugins.

Never had any problem with it.

try my advice above, replace anything inside document>game>skyrim folder.

EDIT: solution discovered. alot of mods install to data/SKSE/plugins. despite doing this automatically - and ive caught Uncapper AND SKyUI doing it - it is wrong. SKSE has to be in the Skyrim folder, not the Data folder. so my game no longer crashes!

however, that new FPS problem, which came out of NOWHERE, is getting worse.

i tried stripping down the game. loading it with NO mods, and without even SKSE does not avert the problem. my game will simply intermittently drop to 3-4fps, sometimes for a prolonged period, sometimes not. yesterday, it did not do this. not once. now, it does it a few times a minute.

as i said, ive stripped skyrim down to the base game, and this still happens, so its outside skyrim, outside my .ini, outside everything. it must be some other kind of interference.

SKSE runtime: initialize (version = 1.6.16 09200000 01CEBA865F357F0C, os = 6.1 (7601))
imagebase = 00400000
runtime root = C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\
config path = C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\skse.ini
plugin directory = C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\
checking plugin C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\\CFM_extensions.dll
plugin C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\\CFM_extensions.dll (00000001 skse_categorized_favorites_menu 00000003) loaded correctly
checking plugin C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\\Fuz Ro D'oh.dll
plugin C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\\Fuz Ro D'oh.dll (00000001 Fuz Ro D'oh 06018195) loaded correctly
checking plugin C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\\hdtPhysicsExtensions.dll
plugin C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\\hdtPhysicsExtensions.dll (00000001 hdtPhysicsExtensions 00000001) loaded correctly
checking plugin C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\\nioverride.dll
plugin C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\\nioverride.dll (00000001 nioverride 00000002) loaded correctly
checking plugin C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\\showRaceMenu_preCacheKiller.dll
plugin C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\\showRaceMenu_preCacheKiller.dll (00000001 ShowRaceMenu preCacheKiller plugin 00000001) loaded correctly
checking plugin C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\\SKSE_Elys_Uncapper.dll

theres the log. the same log i get every time i even try to start the game with the Elys_Uncapper.dll in the folder. skyrim nominally starts, but never opens. it merely sits there. if i open task manager i can see it, using a little memory, and shrinking. however ong i wait, it will never progress.

if i put HDTphysicsextensions.dll in there, and not Ely's the game straight-up crashes the same instant it starts. doesnt even get to loading screen.

sent these logs, and a description of my problem to the SKSE team. see that they can do about it =/

other than these two mods, everything about SKSE works fine. it loads, and dependant plugins and mods work without fail. my game is the most stable it has ever been. i just cannot use HDT physics, or Ely's uncapper. and that second one is intolerable . . . 

EDIT:

log from htdPhysicsExtensions.log is only this:

hdtPhysicsExtensions
[09/26/13 04:37:36]INFO: Queue OK
[09/26/13 04:37:36]INFO: Havok simulated world created.
[09/26/13 04:37:36]INFO: SKSEPlugin_Load
[09/26/13 04:37:44]INFO: Suspending ... Mist Menu
[09/26/13 04:37:44]WARNING: Physics delta time > 0.2, lose time

thats the entirety of it.

have you tired a completely clean uninstall - then reinstall, update completely, download and update CK and then adding Steve40's Script fixes? Do all of that, and see if it remedies your situation.

I just can't fathom at this point why people have so many problems... in fact, I think i'll copy/paste this from another topic:

"

Honesty, looking at my steam profile right now... I have 775 hours played of Skyrim. Thats right -- almsot 800 hours. Guess what my highest level character is?

Level 1.

I don't know how "new" you are to Bethsoft games, and I don't want to "insult your intelligence," but I have been playing since Morrowind and I know full well of the HUGE scale of bugs, glitches and errors these games come with. I have DELETED COUNTLESS saves with over a HUNDRED HOURS on them. Poof. Gone. I feel nothing .. because it's to be expected.

I am HUGELY anal about the payrus log, and you should be too. Whenever I start a new game, or add any new mods, I turn on the payrus logging and check for errors. If I see anything out of wack, or the shit is constantly spamming, I remove the mod and I *NEVER* save.

Also it looks like you have some sex mods in there .. and you're wondering about erros and CTDs...? Firstly, never save your game with any of that shit. I have some myself I play around with, but I never save; and when I want to return to normal playing, I restart the game and disable those mods. You realize half of them are ALPAH/BETA, right?

If you want a beautiful skyrim experience like I have (8KB Payrus log -- WOOT thats fucking BEAUTIFULLY small) and a nearly 95% Crash free and smooth-as-silk game, here is what you do:

1.) Uninstall E V E R Y T H I N G. DELETE EVERYTHING. Poof gone.

2.) Download Skyrim from steam (dont be a jagmo and pirate) and fully update EVERYTHING.

3.) Download the Creation Kit and let it update everything.

4.) Set both Skyrim and CK to "do not automatically update this game" only after fully updating

5.) Install all unofficial patches

6.) Install Steve40's script fixes (all but the dunbluepalace one as I believe USKP fixed that without error)

7.) use TES5edit and clean Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm, Hearthfiles.esm and Dragonborn.esm

8.) Install latest SKSE files and make sure NMM is using "Launch SKSE" and not "Launch Skyrim."

9.) Slowly start adding mods. Turn on papyrus logging when installing some "newly" made mods and check for errors. Don't forget to turn back off

10.) Edit your .INI files and tweak everything as needed. Do not add legacy/Oblivion .ini entries as they're junk and won't do anything

11.) Enjoy a beautiful experience!!

Also know Skyrim has a hard memory cap of 3.1GB no matter what you do or tweak. And of course do not pass your own vRAM limit (NOT RAM -- VIDEO RAM on your VIDEO CARD. My Titan has 6GB vRAM and my laptop card here in Japan has 2GB vRAM) -- so adding a bunch of 4096 textures or shadows is going to destory you.

"

EDIT: solution discovered. alot of mods install to data/SKSE/plugins. despite doing this automatically - and ive caught Uncapper AND SKyUI doing it - it is wrong. SKSE has to be in the Skyrim folder, not the Data folder. so my game no longer crashes!

It is normal for Uncapper and SkyUI to install infotmation to the Data/SKSE/Plugins folder. I have those mods working correctly and that is where they have stored information to, I have a number of mods that have installed info there and all of them work properly (including Uncapper and SkyUI). HDT was a real pain to get running and caused more problems for me than anything else but Uncapper worked with no issues (I only made adjustments to the rates at which things level).

It is normal for Uncapper and SkyUI to install infotmation to the Data/SKSE/Plugins folder. I have those mods working correctly and that is where they have stored information to, I have a number of mods that have installed info there and all of them work properly (including Uncapper and SkyUI). HDT was a real pain to get running and caused more problems for me than anything else but Uncapper worked with no issues (I only made adjustments to the rates at which things level).

it is pretty obvious that the last two posters havent been reading.

im happy, both of you that your game works like it should. MINE DOES NOT.

ill reiterate. Ely's Uncaper consists in its entirety of two files: a .dll, and a .ini. it is hard to misplace those. if i place those two files in DATA/SKSE/plugins, the game does not start. period. all OTHER SKSE plugins work fine. other than this problem, my game is the most stable i have ever known it.

i dont care if this is abnormal. problems of this sort are by definition. teling me so doesnt do any good. berating me for my bad luck doesnt do any good. i am describing the problem, and its single symptom.

i received an email response from the SKSE devs. they said that it sounds like an antivirus program getting in the way.

i agree, it does so seem. except i have none installed, according to the massive problems they produce. so what now?

EDIT: tried to generate crash dumps for SKSE. failed, as Skyrim does not actually crash.

ill describe this in detail: when i click the SKSE load AND uncapper is installed, the SKSE window flashes, but the skyrim render window never opens. if i open the task manager, Skyrim does not appear under Applications, but it does under Processes, running between 30k-40k. if left for an hour, its mem use will decline slowly, but it will never actually open.

if i remove the uncapper files, leaving behind the .dlls for my other plugins, SKSE starts as normal, and my many dependent mods operate without error.

i ran an AVG remover, just in case something of that program lingered. it didnt help.

First of all, i'd suggest an os setup where only windows is on c:. I've been doing this for years, having only windows, drivers and 'core functionality' (certain apps, drivers, control panels) installed to c:. That partition is only 100gb and is nowhwere near it's limit. The benefit is that when I want to reload, I don't have to blow away everything... c for windows, d for optical drive, e for apps, f for "other crap", g for games. 

Just a suggestion... not for NOW of course, just consider it for the future.

What follows is a pretty narrow path for setup. It's not a whole lot different than what most people do for a 'clean install' but there are some differences. Even if you don't follow this step by step, please read the whole thing.

I probably don't have to say it, but i'm going to just in case . . . If you stray from the path and install something that you think is inconsequential, even if it's just a pretty face texture, well just don't. We're keeping it simple here in a technical, troubleshooting mindset, not a "i'm setting up to play" mindset. That comes later, at all, if this seems to work. 

So first some setup:

When you reinstall skyrim, get it installed, and playable vanilla (not hard, just dl and play) with zero changes period. None. not even enb or skse.

1. DL, install
  2. start the game
  3. At the logo screen, do not load a game... open the console and do this: coc whiterun

This will put you on the bridge right next to Honningbrew Meadery as the Default Dovakiin guy that was in all the promotional shit... full set of iron armor, with the classic horned iron helmet and that's all. The benfit of doing this is that the game is in a kinda Zero State. No missions running, no variables stored, no relationships, nothing. It's as clean a game as you can get. 

open the console again, do this: save pristine

This of course saves the game in this state. You can run around if you want, checking things out, seeing how it works. Then quit the game.

Now do this:

1. go to the dir where skyrim is installed... for me it's g:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\
  2. duplicate the skyrim dir right there and name it something with /skyrim at the very beginning of the name. I personally have /skyrim and /skyrim.clean
  3. change the properties of the folder to READ ONLY. This prevents accidents.

This will save you from having to re-download the shit when you want to wipe. (iieewww) Yes it will become stale over time, but when you copy it into play, steam will throw the update at you which of course is what you want. However, it's still pristine and you still have your pristene install that's stale (so what).

Now look where you are: you have a pristine install, verified working, with a backup of said install. From there it's dog ass simple to blow things away and start over.

Setup complete.

I would suggest that at this point you take it one mod at a time, from most invasive to least, narrowed down the path where you think the problems are, running the game from the pristine install after every change.

Like this:

• Skse > run
  • HDT Skse plugin > run
  • What is it... uncapper? > run

you've got nothing in the game that uses these plugins at the moment, so if you start having problems, you've got it narrowed down. If you have no problems, like I said, stick to the path, most invasive to least. which would mean continue installing like this: 

• skeleton that you use for HDT > run
  • body mesh that you use for HDT > run

At this point, i'd be curious to hear what your results are before going any further as this pits against each other the 2 items that you suspect. 

i received an email response from the SKSE devs. they said that it sounds like an antivirus program getting in the way.

i agree, it does so seem. except i have none installed, according to the massive problems they produce. so what now?

EDIT: tried to generate crash dumps for SKSE. failed, as Skyrim does not actually crash.

ill describe this in detail: when i click the SKSE load AND uncapper is installed, the SKSE window flashes, but the skyrim render window never opens. if i open the task manager, Skyrim does not appear under Applications, but it does under Processes, running between 30k-40k. if left for an hour, its mem use will decline slowly, but it will never actually open.

if i remove the uncapper files, leaving behind the .dlls for my other plugins, SKSE starts as normal, and my many dependent mods operate without error.

i ran an AVG remover, just in case something of that program lingered. it didnt help.

AVG is pretty crappy nowadays. and very hard to remove completely.

If there are still left overs then this will cause major problems later on.

since your using windows 7 there can be more things interfering during the install. like windows defender and some other tools working in the background. make sure none of it are working in the background when using SKSE. and try again.

Also try clean boot click on the windows icon and on run tab type msconfig. and switch to clean boot. This will make sure no other things are interfering when you try to run skyrim with skse

Even if my setup post doesn't work, what youv'e done is create an environment that's so clean that teams can't push the blame onto something else.

From my suggested setup point, if you install skse > community uncapper, there's nothing else to blame. you can then tell the skse team and the uncapper author exactly this and hopefully they'll help you beyond the boilerplate "sorry can't help you" response.

The only other thing I could suggest is at the os level... create a new profile and run the game from there. This will take out a certain level of program from the mix, but not certain system things... AV being one of them. but it could be enough to let the game run.

Of course the ultimate is a separate install of windows which is a giant pita and is guaranteed to work UNLESS there's a problem with the hardware somewhere. . . but at least you'll have a fix. I had to do this when HalfLife 2 came out. I couldn't get it to work at all. After I installed a dual boot with win2k in addition to my xp install, it worked on win2k.

First of all, i'd suggest an os setup where only windows is on c:. I've been doing this for years, having only windows, drivers and 'core functionality' (certain apps, drivers, control panels) installed to c:. That partition is only 100gb and is nowhwere near it's limit. The benefit is that when I want to reload, I don't have to blow away everything... c for windows, d for optical drive, e for apps, f for "other crap", g for games. 

What follows is a pretty narrow path for setup. It's not a whole lot different than what most people do for a 'clean install' but there are some differences. Even if you don't follow this step by step, please read the whole thing.

I probably don't have to say it, but i'm going to just in case . . . If you stray from the path and install something that you think is inconsequential, even if it's just a pretty face texture, well just don't. We're keeping it simple here in a technical, troubleshooting mindset, not a "i'm setting up to play" mindset. That comes later, at all, if this seems to work. 

So first some setup:

When you reinstall skyrim, get it installed, and playable vanilla (not hard, just dl and play) with zero changes period. None. not even enb or skse.

1. DL, install
  2. start the game
  3. At the logo screen, do not load a game... open the console and do this: coc whiterun

This will put you on the bridge right next to Honningbrew Meadery as the Default Dovakiin guy that was in all the promotional shit... full set of iron armor, with the classic horned iron helmet and that's all. The benfit of doing this is that the game is in a kinda Zero State. No missions running, no variables stored, no relationships, nothing. It's as clean a game as you can get. 

This of course saves the game in this state. You can run around if you want, checking things out, seeing how it works. Then quit the game.

Now do this:

1. go to the dir where skyrim is installed... for me it's g:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\
  2. duplicate the skyrim dir right there and name it something with /skyrim at the very beginning of the name. I personally have /skyrim and /skyrim.clean

This will save you from having to re-download the shit when you want to wipe. (iieewww) Yes it will become stale over time, but when you copy it into play, steam will throw the update at you which of course is what you want. However, it's still pristine and you still have your pristene install that's stale (so what).

Now look where you are: you have a pristine install, verified working, with a backup of said install. From there it's dog ass simple to blow things away and start over.

Setup complete.

I would suggest that at this point you take it one mod at a time, from most invasive to least, narrowed down the path where you think the problems are, running the game from the pristine install after every change.

Like this:

• Skse > run
  • HDT Skse plugin > run

you've got nothing in the game that uses these plugins at the moment, so if you start having problems, you've got it narrowed down. If you have no problems, like I said, stick to the path, most invasive to least. which would mean continue installing like this: 

At this point, i'd be curious to hear what your results are before going any further as this pits against each other the 2 items that you suspect. 

once again, done that.

there is no narrowing. i know exactly what the problem is. Ely's Community Uncapper. i have done a clean install, with NOTHING but that and SKSE installed and i have this problem still.

i cannot run scripts from the console because i cannot enter the game with the .dll in the folder. even if it is the only non-vanilla file in the entire skyrim directory.

So first some setup:

1. DL, install
  2. start the game

Now do this:

Setup complete.

Like this:

• Skse > run
  • HDT Skse plugin > run

once again, done that.

there is no narrowing. i know exactly what the problem is. Ely's Community Uncapper. i have done a clean install, with NOTHING but that and SKSE installed and i have this problem still.

i cannot run scripts from the console because i cannot enter the game with the .dll in the folder. even if it is the only non-vanilla file in the entire skyrim directory.

Well then you're down to os. Clearly something in the os is in the way.

I don't know if there's enough info from the game to show an error in the windows Event Log, but the Event Viewer might show you something. Then there's Process Explorer... you could see if there's something that's hooked the uncapper and it's still in memory which would probably prevent it from starting a 2nd time. Using Process Explorer you could search Handles for the name of the dll and if it's still up, kill the parent task.0

Then you could try creating a new windows profile and run the game.

If that doesn't work, go to safe mode with networking . . . you may have to finagle with video drivers and the like to up the game if steam doesn't barf. 

If that doesn't work, and If you have the capability and the lack of fear of installing a dual boot, try that. 

Or... just not run the uncapper.

ready for this?

FIXED.

the problem was identified by the SKSE team. MSI afterburner was interfering somehow with THAT .dll. so i disabled that, got EVGA precision, and now it all works. i get the splash screen and everything. now, i attempt the HTD physics.

thanks for your help. this was a weird and complicated one.

Archived