I wanted to solicit peoples opinions about Starfield partnership with AMD.

To me, this does not look good for NVIDIA support.

As someone who just invested in a new NVIDIA GPU for this game for better performance, I am not thrilled.

Anyone else with facts, figures, or opinions?

Let's see, FSR 2 is an open-source technology that is available in the vast majority of GPUs available on the market for AMD, Nvidia, and Intel; therefore, it is not as exclusive as if it were only used with DLSS.

The other thing that is seen is that it begins to appear that the problems of basing an entire GPU line only on one technology that is not standard, such as DLSS 3. Just look at the fact that the best GPU based on price-to-performance ratio is the RTX 4090, which is insane because the 4070 and 4060 are nearly identical to the previous generation in the best scenario except for DLSS 3, but at a more inflated price.

And finally and most important is that the developer is Bethesda Game Studios so we have to expect that it contains a lot of bugs until it appear a kind soul that make the Unofficial Starfield Patch. In other words i am more worried that it runs well that if it have support for DLSS or FSR.

Bethesda....Bethesda never changes ?

Anyone hear whether or not they cleaned house with Bethesda after the buyout?

Also, ID Software supports Vulkan. All games should be Vulkan, fuck windows, fuck Microsoft. Windows itself is a trojan, not even a joke, literally allows backdooring from anyone with the keys. AMD openly embraces open software and hardware. I think it's more of a marketing campaign for them, seeing as they can't compete on the proprietary side, but still, Nvidia has a bad wrap for being authoritarian in all of their products, hence EVGA leaving the GPU market. Also, RTX is overhyped. Most games I played with RTX looked pretty good with baked lighting, some even better. Most games don't even have RTX.

Honestly I don't know why anyone beside the niche people like me, who need to do video editng, AI work, 3d model rendering, and other production work even bother with NVidia. Honestly, if I could, I would never buy NVidia again... but alas, AMD can't compete in the production field.

If Starfield did Vulkan and optimized itself for AMD, all the much better.

14 hours ago, Kif_kroker said:

would i be correct to assume that the single important thing for a bethesda game with 1000 mods in it is vram ?

Yes.

Also you would need a lot of system RAM.

Though I have noticed that in example Skyrim SE and Fallout 4 will preallocate less system RAM on higher end system.

That said about 32 gigs of total system RAM has been the magic number, although some particular those in the industry have said its better to have upwards of 64 gigs!

For graphics settings, well I have noticed Skyrim SE and Fallout 4 will preallocate ~16 gigs of VRAM modded.

What about Starfield?

Have no idea gotta wait to tell you those numbers, probably will be similar to what I just said though for 4K.

The upgrade not to ignore will be NVME drive probably best to get a generation 3 right now they are affordable.

Do NVME texture stream?

Not quite the same way they are doing on console but the data transfer is quite fast compared to solid state drives on SATA lanes, far faster than HDD drives (record player drives with platters).

For the most part,

1080p ~2060-2080 that is the min to max

1440p ~imagine 3060-3080, 4060-4070ti

2160p ~3080ti, 3090/ti, 4070ti (possibly), 4080, 4090

As far as AMD partnership....All it means to me right now is that Starfield will not support DLSS out of the box without being a "mod".

I have not seen anything claim that Starfield uses ray tracing, so if it does not we wont likely need DLSS or FSR in the first place.

Edited by Gameplayer

At this point I'm not terribly worried about DLSS, for two reasons:

1) The game is likely to be heavily CPU-bound, so DLSS (or any upscaler for that matter, including FSR) will make little difference in performance (maybe 10% instead of the 50+% we're used to seeing). The only one that conceivably could make a difference would be DLSS3's frame generation, since it operates independently of the CPU. But that's limited only to the 40xx series cards, which are still an extreme minority.

2) AMD has caught a HUGE amount of flak just in the last week for this. The cat's out of the bag, so to speak. The Starfield announcement couldn't have been made at a worse time. It's highly probable that, if such an exclusivity clause exists in the contract, that AMD will quietly remove it, allow Bethesda to ship the game with DLSS/XeSS support, and then claim afterwards that they never tried to restrict or exclude anything and that the whole thing was blown out of proportion, just to try to save face.