So if I want a stutter free game. Any mods that alter NPC face is out of the question?

I just start a new FO4 recently and install some mods. I have some sutter at the beginning until I packed my body and face texture mod into Ba2. Now I want to install some NPC replacer mods but from my exprience all of them will cause sutter. I try to install the Exported Facial Geometry file but things not improve. So the only way to not have stutter is to not use any NPC mod?

Lots More Settlers and Enemies

A Bit Prettier Gunners Faces

A Bit Prettier Raider Faces

Edited by assassin394

There are two types of stuttering in Fallout 4, and you can only eliminate one of them.

1. Freezes when you cross cells while the game loads loose file textures

If you have lots and lots of texture mods and worn outfit textures and the like, when you cross a cell boundary you will need to wait while the game loads the textures. However, once that completes you get no stuttering and no freezing at all until you cross to another cell.

2. If you have more textures loaded than your graphics card can handle, the game itself will be smooth, but your breast physics and the like will bounce a lot when you stand still because the game keeps falling behind and catching up making the breasts bounce.

There's no fix for #1 if you want to have a beautifully modded Fallout 4. The only fix to #2 is to either have a strong enough graphics card or to play at smaller resolution (i.e., don't do 4k resolution if your graphics card is a 1080 Ti if you want stable OCBPC).

Edited by Karna5
6 hours ago, Karna5 said:

There are two types of stuttering in Fallout 4, and you can only eliminate one of them.

1. Freezes when you cross cells while the game loads loose file textures

If you have lots and lots of texture mods and worn outfit textures and the like, when you cross a cell boundary you will need to wait while the game loads the textures. However, once that completes you get no stuttering and no freezing at all until you cross to another cell.

2. If you have more textures loaded than your graphics card can handle, the game itself will be smooth, but your breast physics and the like will bounce a lot when you stand still because the game keeps falling behind and catching up making the breasts bounce.

There's no fix for #1 if you want to have a beautifully modded Fallout 4. The only fix to #2 is to either have a strong enough graphics card or to play at smaller resolution (i.e., don't do 4k resolution if your graphics card is a 1080 Ti if you want stable OCBPC).

I see. Is Fallout 4 engine that bad optimized? In Skyrim you can freely mod without worry about break precombines and have many loose file texture as you want without sutter. Unless you run out of vram or hit the draw calls limit that is. Not to mention you don't have to deal with that awful brown face bug.... Ironically happening to me right now because I pack my face texture into BA2 to avoid stutter.

Edited by assassin394

Breasts "physics" same as game "physics" tied to either to FPS or framerate.  The more FPS (or lower framerate, I don't remember for sure)) you have, the less "heavy" non static objects will become, sometimes producing an explosion of world placed non static junk, when you enter an area or after load screen, when FPS goes from 0 to max in a second, hence mods like "high FPS Physics fix". You can also observe interesting phenomenon with breasts while using OCBPC where the lower your FPS is, the more "saggy" tits become. Another example is dead bodies are much "heavier" and harder to drag or move due to low FPS. The key for soft bounce is constantly stable FPS (or lower framerate), which is unachievable with Creation Engine. You'll have small stutters here or there sooner or later no matter what you do.

Edited by serealm
17 hours ago, assassin394 said:

I see. Is Fallout 4 engine that bad optimized? In Skyrim you can freely mod without worry about break precombines and have many loose file texture as you want without sutter. Unless you run out of vram or hit the draw calls limit that is. Not to mention you don't have to deal with that awful brown face bug.... Ironically happening to me right now because I pack my face texture into BA2 to avoid stutter.

I personally see Fallout 4's freedom to mod as the opposite. I like that we can break optimization as much as we want.

I play with 8k body and 2k face textures and also use OCBPC (physics with collision). I also play at 4k resolution with all-ultra.

When I had a 1080 Ti graphics card I also played at that resolution, but I had the sagging and bouncing breasts mentioned above and had to try to tweak gravity settings to compensate for the fact I was pushing my game beyond my graphics card capabilities.

I now have an Nvidia 3080 graphics card and have stable OCBPC and no issues with 4k.

On a related note, my Fallout 4 is so heavily modded it has 363 active plugins, 791 active mods plus many more hundreds of mods merged into personal plugins.

My game on hard drive is currently 513,411,776,066 bytes (basically half a terabyte) and 117,423 files with 13,589 directories. And it continues to grow constantly. You mentioned that Skyrim has no issues no matter how many loose files you have, but I suspect that means either you did not push Skyrim as hard as I push Fallout 4 or that Skyrim is simply a smaller game with fewer cell boundaries. Fallout 4 is a 2015 game whose engine is so well done it can be modded to a level where it competes toe to toe with games made and released in 2023, and that's pretty amazing in my book :)

If you'd like to see an example of Fallout 4 physics when played with a graphics card capable of matching the mod level to which it's been pushed, I have this film as an example. I recorded it at 4k resolution but reduced the final film to 1080p for internet.

52735004907_77c8a5b3dc_o.jpgFright by Guglielmo Earthbound, on Flickr

post script: I picked that clip because it actually shows two things: a) stable breasts when the character is still, and b) natural movement when she's not.

Edited by Karna5