Diablo 4 nude modding

I can confirm 100% all nudity in this game got censored, I only noticed because an area of Scosglen seemed very familiar. If you watch the demo gameplay from Blizzcon 2019, there's a mission which sends the player to the Drowning Caverns, which is now called Mariner's Refuge. Outside of the dungeon in the demo were a bunch of naked male and female corpses along with naked statues with luscious boobies, both of which have now been altered to add some clothing. The corpses are all even lying in the same positions. It's just so bizarre that this game features so much detailed gore but zero nudity, and that someone's spilled guts are just fine but you can't even have a statue with its tits out. Apparently in Sanctuary you might get tortured by a demon but they will at least keep your lil brown underwear on to maintain your decency, that's the one line they will never cross.

19 hours ago, _DingleBerry_ said:

I can confirm 100% all nudity in this game got censored, I only noticed because an area of Scosglen seemed very familiar. If you watch the demo gameplay from Blizzcon 2019, there's a mission which sends the player to the Drowning Caverns, which is now called Mariner's Refuge. Outside of the dungeon in the demo were a bunch of naked male and female corpses along with naked statues with luscious boobies, both of which have now been altered to add some clothing. The corpses are all even lying in the same positions. It's just so bizarre that this game features so much detailed gore but zero nudity, and that someone's spilled guts are just fine but you can't even have a statue with its tits out. Apparently in Sanctuary you might get tortured by a demon but they will at least keep your lil brown underwear on to maintain your decency, that's the one line they will never cross.

Indeed, almost comical when you impale someone (but with their clothes on!)

d4gpr.png.36d71ebbe0bcf7d27f957b8906a90dd6.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 7:19 AM, _DingleBerry_ said:

They did similar changes to D2R. It's so stupid, honestly. It's an adult game with highly detailed gore in a demonic world, but we can't have nude bodies. Even our lust demons need to be decent. It makes me kinda feel belittled, as if I were to be a child. There should be a whole decensor modpack for this.

People's reaction to this is funny honestly, like, you expected a huge name company to take that kind of risk, can you imagine the excessive outcry there would be over even just a single set of tits? I mean really, there's no chance in Hell Acti-Bliz would've gone through with that. They've been toning back WoW models for years for the more front and center characters typically.

I agree, it is ridiculous that nudity is so offensive and yet gore is so accepted in comparison, though there's plenty who hate the gore too. Honestly fans almost always make the best nude mods anyway though. Just look at Conan Exiles, decent nudity support from that, but modders made it even better.

I don't expect that we'll see widely accepted nudity in any media form for many years honestly, and comparing nudity to gore is kinda silly anyway. One is sexy and attractive, the other I'd say is the complete opposite.

3 hours ago, Slyan said:

People's reaction to this is funny honestly, like, you expected a huge name company to take that kind of risk, can you imagine the excessive outcry there would be over even just a single set of tits? I mean really, there's no chance in Hell Acti-Bliz would've gone through with that. They've been toning back WoW models for years for the more front and center characters typically.

I agree, it is ridiculous that nudity is so offensive and yet gore is so accepted in comparison, though there's plenty who hate the gore too. Honestly fans almost always make the best nude mods anyway though. Just look at Conan Exiles, decent nudity support from that, but modders made it even better.

I don't expect that we'll see widely accepted nudity in any media form for many years honestly, and comparing nudity to gore is kinda silly anyway. One is sexy and attractive, the other I'd say is the complete opposite.

Yes I do expect a huge company to take that kind of risk because it's not really a risk at all and even if there was a controversy they would be pretty well insulated from it given how much money they make and how many people still buy their games. As if there already isn't a ton of outcry over what Blizzard does on a nearly daily basis, that's never stopped them from making money hand over fist because people can't help themselves and still buy their sub-par games.

Most people do not care about nudity and even seemingly welcome it in the right context, I remember the first week Conan Exiles came out people were absolutely enamored with the dick physics, there was no negative backlash to the nudity. The problem is the majority who are okay with nudity do not complain when it get censored, and the people who are likely to complain are very vocal, and as always the squeaky wheel gets the grease. In reality I don't think this is even the issue, because I think even the activist types who are terminally online and complain about everything would be mostly okay with the nudity as long as there is parity among genders and it's not overly sexual. Nudity and sexuality are not the same thing and one does not preclude the other. I think the impetus behind the censoring is a combination of HR lady ideology, being overly cautious because of Blizzard's recent controversies, and a means to appease the Chinese Communist overlords. I seem to recall a developer interview on how a darker tone that includes both gore and nudity was the essence of what they were going for to get a grittier Diablo 2 feeling. Clearly this was intended by the devs, but the higher ups likely got more reluctant as time went on. I know there was also some staff changes that I think even included an art director so that could have also played a role.

But the case you made that gore is unattractive and nudity is the opposite would be an argument in favor of the latter's inclusion. And even if its not about attractiveness, if people are fine with seeing something that disgusts them because it fits the tone of the game, nudity should be no different.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2023 at 7:03 PM, Slyan said:

First of all, there is actually still some nude breasts in the game. Secondly, there are commercial adult games that do offer nudity. And thirdly, the comparison to gore is there because both are adult themes for adult people but somehow one is treated worse than the other, even though gore is arguably worse than sexual themes. And in case of hellish themes like Diablo I would expect both to be present.

7 hours ago, Dark Thoughts said:

First of all, there is actually still some nude breasts in the game. Secondly, there are commercial adult games that do offer nudity. And thirdly, the comparison to gore is there because both are adult themes for adult people but somehow one is treated worse than the other, even though gore is arguably worse than sexual themes. And in case of hellish themes like Diablo I would expect both to be present.

puritan american conservatism has always treated nudity/sex as something infinitely worse than violence and gore.

19 hours ago, zb123thecat said:

puritan american conservatism has always treated nudity/sex as something infinitely worse than violence and gore.

This is a strange perception to have considering everything going on today. I can definitely forgive you if you're not American, but obviously politics are not static and things have changed a lot in the past 20-30 years. The Evangelical conservatives of the 80's are pretty much all but gone at this point, or at least they hold no institutional power. Today progressives are the ones who have adopted puritanism and find themselves more ideologically opposed to nudity and sex because of their commonly held belief it has a negative impact on how society treats women. Although women aren't exactly a minority they are treated as an oppressed class and are higher on the progressive stack than men, therefore male nudity is more acceptable or not even a problem at all. This is also why you don't see traditionally attractive female characters any more, because progressives believe it creates beauty standards that hurt women. If they do allow for nudity it has to be "safe horny," meaning it in some way dismantles traditional views on sex or beauty standards. That usually means it promotes kink, female domination, male submissiveness, or queerness in some way. And obviously it's a bit ridiculous to think Blizzard is a "conservative" company. Not only are most mega-corps run by progressives, the video game industry has never really been culturally conservative to begin with, and the leftward lurch is accelerating faster and faster so it's actually never been further from it.

22 hours ago, zb123thecat said:

The first ever issue the mainstream conservative class had in games was the Mortal Kombat fiasco which resulted in the ESRB, wasn't over nudity or sex but instead excessive violence.

21 hours ago, Blehbreh said:

The first ever issue the mainstream conservative class had in games was the Mortal Kombat fiasco which resulted in the ESRB, wasn't over nudity or sex but instead excessive violence.

I'm pretty sure that as soon as that story started to fizzle out there was a quick attempt to resurrect the puritanical outrage with stories of 'scantily clad Sonya Blade'.

The good old 'green blood' Nintendo days...

5 hours ago, flanneldude said:

I'm pretty sure that as soon as that story started to fizzle out there was a quick attempt to resurrect the puritanical outrage with stories of 'scantily clad Sonya Blade'.

The good old 'green blood' Nintendo days...

I don't remember Sonya's outfit being an outrage at that time, but I wasn't particularly paying attention. I do remember there being a fuss over the romance options in one of the Mass Effect games though. Violence has been a repeating thing throughout gaming with GTA, Manhunt, Doom and the like. It's only been taking a backseat recently as the outrage has been directed at the traditional standards of beauty in women, and how they are presented by corporate developers. Meanwhile games with nearly 1/1 depictions of violence and gore such as the second MK Reboot are completely overlooked.

That being said, I'm aware that people are watching this thread with hopes of a Diablo 4 mod. I will stop posting about the history of gaming outrages, sorry for the inconvenience.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2023 at 3:12 PM, Dark Thoughts said:

Yeah after I posted that I looked into it and admit I was wrong, I didn't expect that there was actually nude breasts and of course there are other adult games with nudity, I mean I've played Conan Exiles, and saw the MMO one as well. But Merica is so anal about nudity vs gore its legit completely bonkers (as an American myself, its something that has baffled the fuck out of me for many years)

On 6/29/2023 at 3:50 PM, _DingleBerry_ said:

Yes I do expect a huge company to take that kind of risk because it's not really a risk at all and even if there was a controversy they would be pretty well insulated from it given how much money they make and how many people still buy their games. As if there already isn't a ton of outcry over what Blizzard does on a nearly daily basis, that's never stopped them from making money hand over fist because people can't help themselves and still buy their sub-par games.

Most people do not care about nudity and even seemingly welcome it in the right context, I remember the first week Conan Exiles came out people were absolutely enamored with the dick physics, there was no negative backlash to the nudity. The problem is the majority who are okay with nudity do not complain when it get censored, and the people who are likely to complain are very vocal, and as always the squeaky wheel gets the grease. In reality I don't think this is even the issue, because I think even the activist types who are terminally online and complain about everything would be mostly okay with the nudity as long as there is parity among genders and it's not overly sexual. Nudity and sexuality are not the same thing and one does not preclude the other. I think the impetus behind the censoring is a combination of HR lady ideology, being overly cautious because of Blizzard's recent controversies, and a means to appease the Chinese Communist overlords. I seem to recall a developer interview on how a darker tone that includes both gore and nudity was the essence of what they were going for to get a grittier Diablo 2 feeling. Clearly this was intended by the devs, but the higher ups likely got more reluctant as time went on. I know there was also some staff changes that I think even included an art director so that could have also played a role.

But the case you made that gore is unattractive and nudity is the opposite would be an argument in favor of the latter's inclusion. And even if its not about attractiveness, if people are fine with seeing something that disgusts them because it fits the tone of the game, nudity should be no different.

Yeah I admit I was wrong about it, I looked into it not long after I posted that, and was surprised how much boobs there was in other Diablo games, and sure you'd think that it would make sense that if people are okay with unattractive gore in games in the right context that they'd be fine with nudity in the reverse, but for some stupid bizarre reason, it doesn't tend to be the case. I don't see it very often, but it is nice when its something people aren't having to fight for.

I'm fine with gore and nudity otherwise I wouldn't be playing Diablo games at all in relation to gore, or conan exiles in relation to nudity. I like some gore, the glorious SMASH and splatter of a big hammer breaking apart demons in Diablo is just fantastic after all xD and well, CE has its own gore too, but honestly I could do without it personally, its a bit less enjoyable when its so visually in your face, and combined with nudity makes it less appealing to me personally. But not enough that I'd go out of my way asking for its removal. I just accept it, or if I really dont like it I'd find a mod to fix the problem for me like I do for nude mods~ :3

I didn't really reply to everything since theres not much I disagree with in your response either, just admitting I was wrong, I mean I still find it funny, the peoples responses regardless but am admittedly wrong about past nudity!

On 7/8/2023 at 11:12 PM, Dark Thoughts said:

True, there's nudity in Cyberpunk, Witcher series and Mass Effect Andromeda... It's more acceptable now than in the earlier era.

1 hour ago, LeiFangBaby said:

True, there's nudity in Cyberpunk, Witcher series and Mass Effect Andromeda... It's more acceptable now than in the earlier era.

Do you mean compared to the time where there was nudity in the Elder Scrolls, in Master of Magic, Leisure suit Larry, Bermuda Syndrome, Dreamweb, or the time of God of War, Indigo Prophecy, Afro Samurai, Saboteur, Heavy Rain, Dantes Inferno...

On 7/27/2023 at 10:04 AM, Vechernyaya said:

Do you mean compared to the time where there was nudity in the Elder Scrolls, in Master of Magic, Leisure suit Larry, Bermuda Syndrome, Dreamweb, or the time of God of War, Indigo Prophecy, Afro Samurai, Saboteur, Heavy Rain, Dantes Inferno...

Half of these are very old games were made in the wild West of gaming, but as some point we got Hot Coffee scandal and Tomb Raider recalled because some random NPC texture had a nipple on it... God of War was, like, the exception to the rule by using mythology clause.

It's nowhere near as bad now as in the 2000s and early 2010s. Also LSL was a mature game series about sex so it doesn't count... if anything, I found them too tame after playing actual hentai quests. If we're talking about mainstream non-indie games, women had bras implanted onto them.

Pepperidge farm remembers Mass Effect 2 having bras on during SHOWER scenes because they were so afraid after Fox News tried to destroy Bioware for having a sideboob.

Again, we can compare casual topless women in Assassin's Creed Origins and, well, rest of the franchise. But it isn't new anymore I wonder how next games will be.

44 minutes ago, LeiFangBaby said:

Half of these are very old games were made in the wild West of gaming, but as some point we got Hot Coffee scandal and Tomb Raider recalled because some random NPC texture had a nipple on it... God of War was, like, the exception to the rule by using mythology clause.

It's nowhere near as bad now as in the 2000s and early 2010s. Also LSL was a mature game series about sex so it doesn't count... if anything, I found them too tame after playing actual hentai quests. If we're talking about mainstream non-indie games, women had bras implanted onto them.

Pepperidge farm remembers Mass Effect 2 having bras on during SHOWER scenes because they were so afraid after Fox News tried to destroy Bioware for having a sideboob.

Again, we can compare casual topless women in Assassin's Creed Origins and, well, rest of the franchise. But it isn't new anymore I wonder how next games will be.

Well, I completely disagree, recently, Terminator Resistance was censored, as well as GRIS for nipples on a statue ?, Gamedec renouced to have any nudity and was self-censored before launch, Othercide depict nude women with a barbie doll anatomy, Pathfinder Wrath of the righteous have orgies and succubus brothel with people in their underwear, Haven follow a couple in their intimacy but always clothed in their love nest, and making love in their underwear.

Even Cyberpunk 2077 only have nudity in the game menu or on specific scripted events, everything else is censored, you can't get naked in the game world and there's no nudity in red districts and stripper clubs.

So yeah, I agree, Bioware got more daring, and soon we'll have Baldur's Gate 3 that will have some softcore porn scenes, but that's an exception and I personaly think that the world is becoming more puritan than ever, that's very visible in Europe where topless women where common on summer beaches but are quickly disappearing, in my country, France, there are even seaside resort where you get fined if you wander in your swimwear or topless, even for the guys, outside of the beach. This was unthinkable a few years ago.

Edited by Vechernyaya