Determining RAM type.

kurisu7885

So, I'm trying to determine the type of RAM I have.

I've narrowed it down to Crucial Ballistix Sport, so I got the brand and possible type, and that was by visual inspection. Thing is I've run across a couple different serial numbers and am trying to determine that part of it.

Make sure your board supports how much you're putting in.  The maximum amount in the specs isn't just software side support, it's also physical circuits.  If you put in more than the supported amount, you run the risk of frying your board due to exceeding the transfer capabilities.

Hopefully you aren't using an older intel board 2007-10ish. I made the mistake of buying one; some boards have a thing for high/low density ram and they are really picky about it. It may have the same speed, form factor as what it already has, but the firmware causes it to reject it. Update your bios before you put in new ram. Two boards had this problem and they were from different companies; my solution is that I will never buy intel boards or cpus again.

Hopefully you aren't using an older intel board 2007-10ish. I made the mistake of buying one; some boards have a thing for high/low density ram and they are really picky about it. It may have the same speed, form factor as what it already has, but the firmware causes it to reject it. Update your bios before you put in new ram. Two boards had this problem and they were from different companies; my solution is that I will never buy intel boards or cpus again.

I'm not, at least I sure as hell hope not as this PC is less than a year old.

Make sure your board supports how much you're putting in.  The maximum amount in the specs isn't just software side support, it's also physical circuits.  If you put in more than the supported amount, you run the risk of frying your board due to exceeding the transfer capabilities.

And what would I look for to find out the max capacity of my mainboard?

If you have a brand name PC, look up the model number of your motherboard, usually found on the specs page of the brand site.  There's a few pieces of software that'll yield the information as well, including dxdiag, which already comes with most (I say most, because some versions of windows don't come with it) versions of windows.

If you have a brand name PC, look up the model number of your motherboard, usually found on the specs page of the brand site.  There's a few pieces of software that'll yield the information as well, including dxdiag, which already comes with most (I say most, because some versions of windows don't come with it) versions of windows.

It's definitely not name brand, I know my mainboard is MSI.

Archived