Explaination for an annoyance in Blender

I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this or not, but whenever I have tried to use subdivide with auto smooth or a bevel modifier on the mesh in this image this (see screenshot) happens and I have no idea why. It's not my mesh, so I'm not really sure what could be going on with it and all I was trying to do with it is make a few of the corners less sharp and maybe add a few polys to smooth things out a bit, but being a complete noob in Blender I really have no idea what is going on with this thing.

Subdevide_Annoyance.thumb.png.c8907b03dea92b3a8b65aa5f7b7a91ef.png

37 minutes ago, Z0mBieP00Nani said:

being a complete noob in Blender I really have no idea what is going on with this thing

You answered your own question. There are loads of tutorials about learning to use Blender, just google it and take the time to LEARN.

1 hour ago, Yinkle said:

You answered your own question. There are loads of tutorials about learning to use Blender, just google it and take the time to LEARN.

The first thing I did was hit the internet to try and figure out what could be causing that, obviously I have not been successful.

I don't know how many tutorials I need to watch or random forum posts I need to read through on subdividing/smoothing/beveling just to end up exactly where I am now, which is nowhere.

Edit mode

Select all

"m" -> Merge by Distance

Object mode

Context menu (left click or "w" depending on if you use r or l click select)

Auto smooth

Bethesda disconnects faces to create hard shading. I don't think the engine supports normal weights. When you bring something back in to engine add an edge split modifier first to achieve the same effect.

Edited by XyRiz
20 hours ago, XyRiz said:

Edit mode

Select all

"m" -> Merge by Distance

Object mode

Context menu (left click or "w" depending on if you use r or l click select)

Auto smooth

Bethesda disconnects faces to create hard shading. I don't think the engine supports normal weights. When you bring something back in to engine add an edge split modifier first to achieve the same effect.

Thanks. I will try this when I get home today.

Edit: FINALLY! progress!.. I'm still figuring things out, but at least I can move on from here and do what I want with the mesh. Thanks again.

Edited by Z0mBieP00Nani