Outdated or missing "SexLabUtil" SKSE plugin detected - Yet, I've done everything correctly

Greetings 

I have come across the following message: 

Outdated or missing "SexLabUtil" SKSE plugin detected (...). Reinstall your SexLab using all the latest files and ensure the "SexLabutill.dll" file is properly located (...)

Needles to say I followed all the due steps and yet encountered this issue. I downloaded the v1.65 Framework from the proper link:

I firstly tried installing it by dropping the file to Vortex, and it did not work, since I got that message. After that I deleted every file and installed again manually. The file is properly located inside the specific folder, everything has been done as said, and it is not working. 

I did not install any other aditional LoversLab mod nor any other mod which required sexlab, I do also have the most recent version of SKSE 64. FNIS is not throwing any Warning nor any error. Sexlab is being properly detected in FNIS and, again, it's not working. Needles to say I do have the proper version of FNIS for SE and working perfectly. 

SexLab menu does indeed appear in Mod Configuration, but when I click on "update" nothing happens and no warning nor check does appear on the left side of the MCM window.

Finally, I also tried creating a new game, loading older games, using a "skip Helgen" mod in order to be able to use third person camera, since I read this might be necessary for the SexLab framework to be properly installed, and yet, it didn't work.

I would really appreciate any help you may give me to address this problem and fix it. 

I also attached two screeshots of the issue. I shall also add the list of mods I do currently run with Vortex to make sure I do not have any conflicting mod:

Achievements Mods Enables
Unnoficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch
Unread books Glow
XP32 Maximum Skeleton Special Extended
Caliente's beautiful Bodies
Fore New Idles in Skyrim SE
Sexy Idle Animation
SkyUI
FNIS Sexy Move
RaceMenu
SKSE64
Vanilla Gelgen Cave Exit

SexLabFrameworkSE

Edit: I also made sure to check "Skeleton arm fix" patch in FNIS. I also reinstalled Vortex, installed all mods again, created a new game, load older games. Nothing worked. 

Thanks in advance! 

20230218031835_1.jpg

20230218031802_1.jpg

Edited by kyrioi

Ok but do you have Address Library for your game version?

And you're 100% sure you have the SL 165 file? because that screenshot shows the install page for 163.

And which executable version do you have? (this is the product version of your SkyrimSE.exe file) 165=1.6.640 (latest patch you get from Steam), 163=1.5.97 (the one you get if you downgrade or if you haven't updated since 2021). You also need a matching version of SKSE depending on which executable you have.

Edited by Just Don't
3 hours ago, Just Don't said:

Indeed. Since I have SE edition, I use All in One (Special Edition) library, because otherwise I get a dll error before executing SKSE

And you're 100% sure you have the SL 165 file? because that screenshot shows the install page for 163.

I'm sure I'm using 1.63, as shown in the screenshot, since 1.65 is for AE and I only have SE, and as it is stated in the link I shared on my post, SE users have to download 1.63

And which executable version do you have? (this is the product version of your SkyrimSE.exe file)

Currently my Exe file version is 1.6.640. Due to your suggestion I downloaded 1.65 SL version, just in case it worked, but it didn't. It threw me papyrus and sexlab dll error before even being able to execute SKSE. 

You also need a matching version of SKSE depending on which executable you have.

I currently have the latest version of SKSE (2.2.3), since I downloaded it directly from Nexus Mods with Vortex.

EDIT: Now, taking into consideration everything you said I just read the full post again, just in case, and I realised that it says

"For Skyrim Special Edition (1.6.640, aka AE) use SexLabFrameworkAE_v165.7z"

Which is kind of confusing, since as far as I'm concerned, Special Edition (SE) and Aniversary Edition (AE) are different editions. But since you said that 1.6.640 Exe files have to use 1.65 SL, and it didn't work for me, now I'm thinking it could be due to I'm using SE All in one library, and not AE All in one library. I'm going to try to download AE library and then install 1.65 SL, which at first makes no sense at all to me, but it's something I haven't tried so far. I'll let you know the results.  

Thanks for your answer anyways, I hope we can find a solution!

Edited by kyrioi
3 hours ago, Just Don't said:

And which executable version do you have? (this is the product version of your SkyrimSE.exe file) 165=1.6.640 (latest patch you get from Steam), 163=1.5.97 (the one you get if you downgrade or if you haven't updated since 2021). You also need a matching version of SKSE depending on which executable you have.

14 minutes ago, kyrioi said:

Indeed. Since I have SE edition, I use All in One (Special Edition) library, because otherwise I get a dll error before executing SKSE

I'm sure I'm using 1.63, as shown in the screenshot, since 1.65 is for AE and I only have SE, and as it is stated in the link I shared on my post, SE users have to download 1.63

Currently my Exe file version is 1.6.640. Due to your suggestion I downloaded 1.65 SL version, just in case it worked, but it didn't. It threw me papyrus and sexlab dll error before even being able to execute SKSE. 

I currently have the latest version of SKSE (2.2.3), since I downloaded it directly from Nexus Mods with Vortex.

EDIT: Now, taking into consideration everything you said I just read the full post again, just in case, and I realised that it says

"For Skyrim Special Edition (1.6.640, aka AE) use SexLabFrameworkAE_v165.7z"

Which is kind of confusing, since as far as I'm concerned, Special Edition (SE) and Aniversary Edition (AE) are different editions. But since you said that 1.6.640 Exe files have to use 1.65 SL, and it didn't work for me, now I'm thinking it could be due to I'm using SE All in one library, and not AE All in one library. I'm going to try to download AE library and then install 1.65 SL, which at first makes no sense at all to me, but it's something I haven't tried so far. I'll let you know the results.  

Thanks for your answer anyways, I hope we can find a solution!

Well, it actually worked.

Thanks a lot, to be honest the "label" thing got me completely lost. 

If I check Skyrim Aniversary Edition in Steam Store it's available to purchase, which indicates that it's not on my library, but since All in One (Aniversary Edition) and SexLabFrameworkAE_v165 clearly states "AE" I would have never imagined that those would be the files I needed. 

Neither would I ever have come to the conclusion that I should check exe version to make sure that, despite not being AE, it does not really matter since all that matters is the exe version. Perhaps it's more obvious than it was to me, but anyway...

I really appreciate your help, this was mindbreaking!

Have a nice day

8 hours ago, kyrioi said:

Because SE and AE are terrible ways to distinguish which mods you really need. AE is not a separate edition, it was a regular Steam update and a paid DLC. Even if you don't buy the DLC your executable version was updated (thus yours being 1.6.640), so you need to use mods compatible with that executable version. That's why most mods with a dll (the only ones that bitch about different exe/SKSE versions) explicitly mention those versions in the file info or mod descriptions. You're not alone here though, plenty of people have had the exact same issue since 2021.

6 hours ago, lfmtfmp said:

same problem 

According to your last Vortex screenshot you have Address Library (Special Edition). Try with Address Library (Anniversary Edition). Check the Address Library description and you'll see a similar message to the SL framework note about different downloads (it's even in red letters too). Keep this info into consideration for future mod installs. Any mod with a dll will have to be compatible with your executable version or the matching SKSE version (because if you don't know this already, you can't simply use whatever SKSE version you want, you need to get the one specifically made for the executable version you have).

If there's a new Steam update and your SkyrimSE.exe changes version (it will) your SKSE and any mod depending on SKSE won't work. That's why it's also recommended to avoid automatic updates, at least for games you're modding. To do this open your Steam library, find "Skyrim Special Edition", right click and select Properties, go to the "Updates" tab and set the following settings:

image.png.fb0ddc34fdc478214a47714b955f5d8f.png

Now you need to launch the game with the skse executable as usual. If you try to launch the game from Steam (this is using the default executables, without SKSE) you'll trigger any pending updates.

7 hours ago, lfmtfmp said:
  • same problem 

Yes, this was also mindbreaking for me, but fortunately @Just Don't made everything clearer.

You don't have to look for SE/AE mods, which is a label that will bring much confussion. You only have to pay attention to your Skyrim version and apply only the mods that work with that version. That is why, despite having the Skyrim Special Edition on Steam, you'll need to download AE All in One Library in order to SL 1.65 to work. Otherwise you'll end up having the same error message over and over.

So my solution, in terms of dll and version compatibilities issues, with mods was:

Install SKSE 2.2.3

Install AE All in One Library (Aniversary Edition, despite having the Special Edition on Steam)

Install SexLab 1.65 

After that, and after installing FNIS and everything required for the mod to work, execute the game, go to MCM and install SL from there. It worked smoothly for me. 

Hope you find this helpful!

Found another potential source of the problem after a long headache. If you're using Wabbajack mod lists such as SME or TPF as a base to install more mods, you'll get this error with SexLab because it turns out they run specifically on an older version of Skyrim AE and SKSE as they have not been updated. I'm not seeing that mentioned in the readmes/FAQs/whatever of those lists so it's a really sneaky problem.

• 4 months later...
On 7/3/2023 at 6:06 AM, faez123188 said:

Same.. my game version is 1.6.323

My sex lab is 1.63

Skse  that work  2.01.03

SL 163 is not for 1.6.323. In fact I don't know any SL version released for that specific version. The current one (165) is for 1.6.640, 163 is for 1.5.97. So you have to either update to current version and get 165 or downgrade, get all your mods for 1.5.97 and keep using SL 163.