Having a huge stutter every few seconds that results in rought 25-50% FPS loss. Guessing its a computer problem but dont know how to fix or where to start.

I have a crazily modded Skyrim and I noticed the FPS drop was happening. So I disabled half of my mods and then half again until I got all the way to pure vanilla skyrim (and Alternate start mod to help speed up the testing process) and still every 5 seconds or so my game drops from 60 FPS to 40. I do have the ENB binary installed but that alone shouldnt set it down in one chunk. For reference the fps drop lasts less than a second. Seems like a computer problem to me but I have no idea how to go about troubleshooting it.

EDIT: Computer Specs are

-I7-8700 16GBs of RAM GTX 1070

Edit 2 - Running vanilla skyrim seems to max out my GPU. it says 100% utilization and the temperature is around 82C. every time the fps drops it shows a drop in GPU Utilization from 100 to between 85 and 95.

Edit 3 - I loaded up my extensive mod load order that has a lot of optimization and such and in the exterior of White run im stitting at around 40-45 FPS (which in it of itself is great considering all the mods I have installed) then when the stutters hit it drops usually down to about 30 sometimes down to 15 or 18 FPS then instantly back up. The GPU says its utilization is hovering around 60-65%, the Memory is staying solid at 12 GBs which is 75% (perhaps the memory is locked at 12?) and the CPU is sitting at 60%.

Well, assuming a few things:

1. You don't have a virus, or other unwanted software/bloatware.
  2. Windows 10/11 isn't doing something stupid, like it usually is.
  3. You don't have a preset installed for ENB and you're only using it for something like ENBoost.
  4. You're not running on a laptop which is failing to switch into performance mode (yes, still a thing after 20 years of "fixes").

I would try:

1. Checking for driver updates for everything.
  2. If drivers are already up to date, maybe that's the issue. New drivers, old game, not always a working combo.
  3. Making sure your graphics card is actually running on an nVidia driver. Microsoft has a tendency to swap out the gpu driver for their own drivers occasionally.
  4. While unlikely, make sure you're not running out of ram memory.

Task Manager is actually not a reliable place to check for ram usage. One reliable and easy way is to check the HDD light. When you truly run out, windows starts to use a file as extended ram memory. This tanks performance massively (rarely in 5 second intervals, hence why I said it's unlikely) and makes the HDD light burn constantly.

1 hour ago, traison said:

Task Manager is actually not a reliable place to check for ram usage. One reliable and easy way is to check the HDD light. When you truly run out, windows starts to use a file as extended ram memory. This tanks performance massively (rarely in 5 second intervals, hence why I said it's unlikely) and makes the HDD light burn constantly.

My HDD light comes on and off and seems relatively normal.

54 minutes ago, Tlam99 said:

Can be skeleton issue, e.g. followers using an outdated own skeleton.

Test without followers in an empty room.

Then get followers into this room. Next check which environment causes it

to narrow it down 

Happens with and without followers.

Edit 4 - I updated SPID, Papyrus Extender, SSE Display Tweaks, Vanilla Script micro Optimizations, and installed Papyrus Tweaks NG but still getting the stutters. I also ran PUBG and I think they happened in it as well but it was much less frequent I think. Also having a problem where it says in the top left that "The Lady Stone was Added" over and over again every minute or so.

15 hours ago, poiuy96 said:

Running vanilla skyrim seems to max out my GPU. it says 100% utilization and the temperature is around 82C.

10 hours ago, poiuy96 said:

I updated SPID, Papyrus Extender, SSE Display Tweaks, ...

These 2 contradict eachother. Vanilla skyrim does not have SPID etc. If you have mods installed, your problem is in the mods you have installed.

13 hours ago, traison said:

These 2 contradict eachother. Vanilla skyrim does not have SPID etc. If you have mods installed, your problem is in the mods you have installed.

I can see how the way I worded this is confusing. I ran tests with Vanilla Skyrim and then went back to my modded Skyrim to compare. I saw that some people said updating SKSE mods could have a good effect so I did. Two separate instances of testing the game out. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by poiuy96