DirectX problem when loading game

oa19

Can someone pls provide some help in resolving the attached error message.  I'm running VX version with latest update 10r, and paid H5. Running on win 10 and  DirectX12, also downloaded the directx redistributable june 2010 pkg, msvc2012x86 redistributable, and the dxwebset up file ( however last one doesnt load because it says latest version is already installed.  Game runs fine in GL. Thanks

Screenshot 2022-11-29 185007.png

Yeah, you can't use the newer "websetup" app. MS removed the individual packages b/c they were "obsolete" and opted for a "web installer" that only downloads the parts it thinks you need. ?

Use the standalone installers instead for DX9c (the "June" package you already have") and the standalone installer for "DotNet 3.5" (231MB).

Edited by OysterMug

Actually i downloaded the 231 MB .NET file and the game still doesn't load in DirectX.  One thing I find odd though is that as soon as I hit the start button I get the above error msg almost instantly ie no processing time at all....virus?

22 hours ago, oa19 said:

so as it turns out, when i load the game, it starts to load but then get this error msg

Need info about your setup.

Desktop PC? Laptop? Graphics card? Monitor max resolution? I assume Win10 with at least 4GB of ram (and the 4gb patch.)

13 hours ago, oa19 said:

yes, ASUS laptop, Intel(R) Iris (R) Xe Graphics.  Win 10  with 16 G RAM, Txs

Hmm. The new Xe graphics chipset is still a big unknown. Dunno if it even supports old DX9 (check Google to see if Xe will run old DX9 games to confirm.)

Laptops have always had additional trouble simply for using onboard graphics instead of a card. Could be the same issue.

Don't worry about installing those old Win7 redistributables on Win10. They're harmless. They don't replace anything. Different files with different names.

1 hour ago, OysterMug said:

The new Xe graphics chipset is still a big unknown. Dunno if it even supports old DX9...

Not that I don't believe it possible; but it would be a definite logistical error to abandon DX9 support this early in SkyNet's evolution!

Anyhow, I think that's up to the video card driver, no? He might want to go look in device manager and see that it shows an Intel Graphics driver, and not the generic windows display driver. Or failing that, one installed by Intel(R), and not Windows Update.

On 12/2/2022 at 7:23 PM, dragonmaster3222 said:

Hook 4 is better

Not even close, of course hook 5 is better in any way, problem is that people don´t have the time/patience to read some guides/info when installing and that causes problem. Everything in hook 5 is a major upgrade to hook 4. So much more nice stuff in hook 5 but you have to get some knowledge how to use it correct, if you can´t spare 1-2 hours to do that you will get problems.

Edited by pes1972

That's an interesting bit of info (on Intel Arc and DX9).

The story does confirm (first line) that Arc cards "have a history of struggling with older DX9 games", and because of that, released a custom driver to boost performance "for select games"... of which I HIGHLY DOUBT tk17 is among them. ?

But "struggling" only means "low frame rates", not incompatibility, so it should work.

If you successfully installed the DX9c package and DotNet-3.5.x (both using the stand-alone installers, not web-installers), then all of the requisite files should be installed to support VX with Hook5 under Win10.

How are you confirming H5 is not running? Best way to know for sure is to use the old Free version of Hook5. It needs no additional custom DLL's to work, and when it's installed, displays "BASIC VERSION" in bright red letters in the upper left of the screen.

Edited by OysterMug

H5 shouldn't have a problem on that chip anyway, as it's DirectX11. The vanilla game is only DirectX8; and if it will run at all in DX mode, then I'd suspect he's just missing some files.

Oh, and "poor performance" on this chip is still probably 5x better than when the game was first released... So. there's that.