3DS Max to .nif export error. Help needed

azmodan22

Hi,

I have found a very strange error while exoprting a figure from 3ds max to .nif, that has not happened to me yet, and besides it does not make any sense whatsoever, well I dont know how to fix it.

I have 2 figures imported into max, seperately.

The First has the following:

Figure             Hair              Total

Polys          142,200         94,640          236,840

Triang.       142,200         94,640          236,840

Vert.            74,837          50,343          125,182

If I try to export this figure to a nif. Everything works like a charm. It even works with two or 3 figures like that one in the same nif.

The export options are the following:

post-96019-0-42560400-1375644071_thumb.jpg

Now to the second figure:

Figure              Hair1            Hair2            Total

Polys       140,206           42,202         6,072            10,579

Triang.    140,206           42,202         6,072            10,579

Vert.        72,836             33,909         4,956            114,739

Now this figure has less of Everything compared with the first, but when I try to export it, I get a message saying "Invalid Triangle Count: must be between 0 and 65535"

post-96019-0-81580200-1375644302_thumb.jpg

Obviously this :limit has nothing to with it cus the first figure worked. 

Can anyone please give me a clue how to fix this?

Thnx

Does your second figure have smoothing groups? They can mess with your polycount when applied on an exported nif since they cause duplicate vertices at their borders. If the second one does have a lot of smoothing groups this could result in additional geometry information.
Throw a smoothing group modifier on top of your second model, assign everything the same smoothing group and try it again.
If this doesn't work then collapse your mesh beforehand. That helps sometimes for export errors that are caused by modifiers, if you're using any.

I did try both your solutions and they did not work. I was expecting that though.

I forgot to mention that both figures are imported into max directly by another program, thus they have exactly the same settings, smoothing groups etc. they only difference between the the figures are the poly groups. 

I did do some research and I found that the problem is not in the number of triagles of the figure. The problem is actualy in the number of triagles in a single element. If an element in 3dsmax has more than 65535 triangles, it will not export. In the second figure the entire body is one element. 

Now can someone direct me, how can I brake this element to ,saay, 3 different ones. legs, hands, torso? That will solve the problem

Edit*

solved it by changing the materials in the program I extract from to 3ds

Archived