trying to adjust body piercings - need help with nifskope

panthercom

I'm using this set of instructions, and can move the nipple rings in nifskope successfully,

but when I open the game they still are in their original locations.

I think perhaps I don't understand the instructions referring to the zero and _1 weight body; it's also

possible I'm simply not saving correctly. I'm loading the mesh for the nipple rings into Nifskope

from the Data/Meshes folder. Should I be extracting something from the BSA instead for this

process?

The source files are from the KAW's jewelry mod.

I'm not using bouncing breasts.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The instructions I'm following:

------ You can use Nifskope to move them in position. You need to know where to move it to so do this.

Open two Nifskope windows One with the piercing and one with the 0 weight body.

Right click on the piercing and click  BLOCK and COPY BRANCH.

Right click one the" 0 NiNode" of the body and BLOCK / PASTE BRANCH (this is only temporary so you can see were to move it to.)

Right click on the piercing you just moved and   TRANSFORM /  EDIT

Use the translation buttons  ( x , y  z )  to move the item closer to the body. You can use small movements like 0.5, 0.2 ect.  You cannot move an item from the chest for example to the leg. Thats too far, because its still weighted to the chest.

Once you have it where you want it, go back to your other window with with the piercing and Right click TRANSFORM / EDIT and input the numbers ( ex. X - 0.5     Y -  1.0      Z -  0.0)

Hit accept and save. Repeat for the _1 weight body. --------

Editing the files inside the Skyrim/Data/Meshes folder is fine, those are the ones that the game uses. Also, no need to extract the BSAs.

The instructions seem fine to me. If you have made any changes to the nif and the changes don't appear then you must either not be saving the changes or editing the wrong files, like you suggested. Make sure to explicitly save your edits in nifSkope (it doesn't save on exit), that the files are definitely in the right directory and that you're editing both the _0 & _1 mesh files of the nipple rings, i.e. adjust the _0 ring to the _0 body and the _1 ring to the _1 body.

I'm attempting to do this for Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas, FWIW.

When I save it's asking if I want to overwrite the original file, so it should be

going into the right folder. I think I don't understand how to tell the difference

between _0 and _1 when it comes to the rings and bodies, I think I'm only working

with the _0 body/rings. Does editing the the _0 and _1 require two different files

to be loaded, or is it accomplished within the same session of NIfskope editing

the same mesh source file. 

Thanks.

I'm attempting to do this for Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas, FWIW.

When I save it's asking if I want to overwrite the original file, so it should be

going into the right folder. I think I don't understand how to tell the difference

between _0 and _1 when it comes to the rings and bodies, I think I'm only working

with the _0 body/rings. Does editing the the _0 and _1 require two different files

to be loaded, or is it accomplished within the same session of NIfskope editing

the same mesh source file. 

Thanks.

My bad, so used to Skyrim modding...

_0 and _1 are two different files. They should be located in the same folder under the same name, just with different numbers at the end. Editing one does not affect the other, so you have to do both separately.

One is for very thin characters and the other for more curvy ones. The game then blends between the two as required to adjust it to the player.

There are no _0 and _1 files in Fallout or New Vegas, that is SKyrim only.

After you make the adjustments in nifskope you must use the transform / apply option in order to get the translations to "stick". You maky also have to update the mesh center after that. The only problem I have found is if the node already has translations on it from original file creator you have to do some other things to fix first before you can adjust further, gets a little technical but I can go into details if you need and really is not that hard to fix once you have done a few times.

They should not move when you hit save, they should move when you adjust the translations numbers, perhaps your movement was too small?

When you right click transform / edit on the original file does it already contain numbers othe than zero? They should all be zero except scale should be 1, if not then they need to be zero before you can adjust pr it does not work from my experience.

You may also need to "re-center" the moved mesh piece after the transform apply, it may do this when you save but in my experiece it did not.

After transform apply, right click on the NiTriStripsData node and select Mesh, Update Center/Radius, you can check the xyz coordinate in the block details to compare before and after update center.

They were all zero to start with, scale was set to 1.

I adjusted both the scale and the x,y,z.

From the references in the tutorial to _0 and _1, I'm wondering if these instructions

are only applicable to Skyrim, even though I found them on a Fallout forum. It was an old

post, and several others were reporting the same problem as me.

Adjusting the X might not work as the rings are linked, move one your moving both. I dont ever mess with the scale in nifskope, I use transform scale verticies instead but if there is lots to adjust I just do it in blender.

Those instructions are for Skyrim, but they are sorta correct for Fallout as far as the translation part. There is no need for the 2 windows of nifskope for what you trying to do.

Try something simple to start, take the original file from KAW, translate the rings on the Z axis +1.0, accept, transform apply. Try in game. Did they move up higher on the body? If yes then adjust one axis at a time till its right. I suggested the large number 1.0 as this woudl be easy to see to start, may be totally to large a move but allows you to see that what you are doing is indeed working.

Once that is working adjust the other axis as needed.

Using tranform scale vertices on the X would allow you to move both rings closer together or farther apart from each other but transform, edit and changing the X axis would move both rings left or right as one piece.

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally solved this problem by the skinning the cat in a very roundabout way.

I basically took a body jewelry mod for Fallout 3, moved the piercings the way

the directions indicated, including the transform and apply step - worked perfectly!,

in Fallout 3.

Then I ported the mod over to New Vegas. The only thing that needs to be done is

to apply the metallic finish to the piercings; I'm guessing I may have to use Blender

for this? Ugh!

Right now the rings show up with a yellow texture; the original mod had multiple finishes

for the various piercings, and I guess the original FO3 esp file must have linked them to

the appropriate textures or bumpmaps?

I certainly appreciate all the help I was given; glad I gave it another attempt :)  

Actually, now that I think about it, I might be able to hack the body jewelry mod for

New Vegas and insert my modified piercings into it, and just steal the names

of some piercings I will never use. Both were done by Kaw, BTW.

Hey glad to hear you got it working, you can edit the texture pathes in nifskope if you want, no blender required. The .esp may use texture sets and in that case you may find only one physical mesh with only one color choice defined in the mesh paths as the others are created from the texture sets being applied to that origianl mesh, they still have unique formids for each variant though.

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/NifSkope/Change_texture

I have hacked many of my custom items into game doing exactly what your proposing, I just used FO3Edit/FNVEdit to create copies of similar items then change the mesh path to point to your new custom path if needed or your could just replace the mesh in game folder with your custom one if tehy are similar items. I have so much custom crap for my characrter I ended up making a trunk in megaton and just keep adding to game that way as I make it. Made for easy testing.

Archived