CTD when trying to enter Goodneighbor

Hi everyone,

I had a previous install of Fallout 4 that was glitched to hell and back because I used it to randomly test a bunch of dubious mods. I finally got sick of it, uninstalled everything and started from scratch with a clean install. I modded that one as well of course, but cleanly and reasonably (or so I thought).

Everything ran smoothly until today.
Now I'm in my modded player house (Goodneighbor Condo), and whenever I try to go out in the streets of Goodneighbor I get a long loading screen followed by a CTD.
Note that the Condo has a door that goes directly to the Third Rail, and this I can do: the game runs fine inside the Condo and lets me enter the Third Rail and play there too, but when I want to go out in the streets of Goodneighbor, be it from the Third Rail or the Condo... long loading screen and CTD.

I have the Better Goodneighbor mod installed, but that too used to run just fine before now, thanks to a patch allowing Better Goodneighbor and the Goodneighbor Condo to be used together.

Anyway, I attached the crash log to this post.
All my love to anyone who will help me fix that, and I mean it.

I spent sooo much time redoing a clean install, it drives me mad seeing it crash again when I didn't go overboard with dumb mods this time.

crash-2022-07-12-12-51-20.log

Hi,

You can use the Crash Log Auto-Scanner to scan your crash log for known issues.

Here is the scanned crash log:

crash-2022-07-12-12-51-20-AUTOSCAN.md

You can use xEdit to check the Form ID's to see what they are.  Your raw log is showing this:

image.png.e919c2aa8cc070c7e7797b6a28ccf55f.png

and mentions this mod quite often.  That means the 2 Form ID's that the crash scan mentions starting with 97 are from this mod.  My best guess from looking at this is that this mod is conflicting with records from other mods.

One easy test is as follows:

If you use Mod Organizer, make a new test profile by copying the current profile.  Disable Crimetown.  Start a new game.  Use this command (you don't even need to go through the vault)

If you use vortex, simply disable the mod for now.

Open the console in a new game ~ and type:

coc goodneighborext

That should warp you to the door in front of Goodneighbor, try and go through it.

If goodneighbor loads, then exit the game and enable crimetown and try the same test.  If you can't get in that time, then that mod definitely has conflicts

You can then open all your mods in xEdit and maybe see where the issue is.  Look for records highlighted in red in the crimetown mod

Maybe you can make your own patch for it.  Or maybe someone already did.

That's as far as I can take it now.  Maybe it helps.

Edited by Sgt. Marge

Thank you so much for that detailled answer!
I will definitely try that. I don't know when I'll have the time, I can't play (or mess with) Fallout every day, but I'll definitely will and I'll tell you how it went.

The one thing I neglected to mention is that recently there have been some crash issues with the male body mod called "BodyTalk3".  If you don't use Bodytalk, but use Atomic Muscle instead, you can ignore this part:

Yesterday a new version of BodyTalk3 was released to address the crashing with the new clothing.  If you have the June2022 or June2022R1 versions, you should update to June2022R2 and see if that solves the crash.  We saw the crashing happen when interacting with the crib in pre-war, or using start me up to skip to the pod, or even when first loading into Diamond City so it could potentially happen when loading into other places also. 

A tell-tale sign that this crash is related to the BT3 issue is if Buffout would normally give you a crash log, and does not give you one for this crash.  (Most of the time this was the case.  Other times, Buffout would give a crash log with skeleton/physics listed as culprit)

But again if you are using an older version of Bodytalk or Atomic Muscle, the above message doesn't apply.

Edited by Sgt. Marge
more info
2 hours ago, EgoBallistic said:

Just posting a followup here.  The problem turned out to be caused by Rusty Face Fix.  Once OP removed that the problem stopped.

Interesting, I've never heard of rusty face fix causing a crash entering zones.  Wonder if it was a bad interaction between that and something else then.  Thanks for the update!

5 hours ago, JohPoub said:

Interesting.
I'm the OP, and I confirm Rusty Face was causing the problem.
Thing is, I'm also using BodyTalk and I don't think it ever caused any problem, should I still update to the new version you linked?

If your BodyTalk is working then don't touch it.

The June2022 releases of BodyTalk have been causing crash issues for folks when installed with the pre-built clothing.  The first 2 versions, June2022 and June2022R1, the crash could be replicated in the pre-war sequence at Shaun's crib.  With the release of June2022R2 it was thought that the crash was addressed.  But recently we are seeing more reports of crashing when loading into zones like Diamond City.  And again reinstalling BodyTalk without the clothing is the work around.  But if that wasn't the case for you, perhaps you are using the version of BodyTalk from 2021 or chose not to install that clothing already with the recent releases.

Edited by Sgt. Marge