Resident evil 2 and 3 remake update seems to have brokem mods :(

On 6/14/2022 at 7:06 AM, jackrider53 said:

Will there be a fix for this?

since Capcom made it possible to roll the game back i dont think anyone will bother with updating their mods. the RT Update is kind of a joke imo. Raytracing is underwhelming in RE games since Lighting is already really good to begin with.

9 hours ago, 201193 said:

Capcom's excellent decision track record continue it seems!

They are absolutely notorious for this shit. Same thing is probably going to happen with Sunbreak. They did it with Iceborne, I'm sure it will happen again. I honestly think Capcom does this stuff on purpose now. To break all mods for a game to challenge the community. If the community responds, modding continues under the grey area. Otherwise, if the community says fuck it, they won the battle. It's one of those "we won't sue everyone into oblivion, but we absolutely refuse to cater to you degenerates and account for this community when making updates. Figure it out yourself." When modding ON PC, has directly correlated to increased sales. Hell, Doom 95 is an absolutely shining example of that. Oldschool ID and Build engine games still have active communities today, because the developers didn't hinder or obfuscate their work. And I'm using the oldest examples of gaming. Skyrim, Fallout, take your pick. I'm sure EVERY single person reading this post can say "I bought X game simply because it had a modding community."

That's why people REALLY need to get used to keeping a pirated backup. Learn the piracy scene, find reputable sources for games. As I can guarantee Capcom won't placate for long. They'll do a stealth removal of the "mod branch" soon enough. Once the news cycle turns. That's why I hate when mod tool creators (Fluffy, Eternity (Xenoverse 2), alphaZomega, etc. have the mindset of "Eh, there's a downgrade option. Use it." Or fuck off altogether. Well you see how that worked for Tomb Raider 2013, and Rise until someone stepped up. And Rise still isn't QUITE there yet on 1027. As Orangy doesn't have tool writing experience. He's using hex edits. Which isn't practical for really, anyone. That's why his 1027 Jiggly mod hasn't taken off and sprouted creators porting their mods to the latest version. Most modders can model, texture, and use basic tools to get their mods running in game. Not many know how to do beyond that. (Talking actual coding/game file manipulation.)

Honestly, these tool creators need to REALLY start open sourcing their tools. Or hell, put the source behind a paywall. Charge $10 for it. That way when they screw off or decide to stick to one version of a game instead of updating it, someone else can step in. There's other programmers who'd take up the challenge in a heart beat. These creators, whether intentionally and maliciously, or unintentionally are creating gate keeps for modding communities that spring up around their tools. They have to be the one to update the tool. The tool isn't updated, the community has to settle.

I mean hell, Fluffy already said "too much work, won't bother. Use the downgraded branch" I'm sorry this is not an acceptable answer. If it's too much of an issue, CHARGE FOR YOUR TIME. Guaranteed you'll get people to fund you to ensure compatibility. Mod creators will update all their old mods as well. If enough demand is there. Don't settle. Most of the RE 2/3 community is paywalled. The tool can be as well if you need to ensure your time is properly compensated. Does it suck? Absolutely. But it doesn't segment the community to such an extent, a developer could yank the "modded" version of the game at any time then the game you paid for becomes useless. Resulting in you having to decide between the latest version of the game, and mod support through a pirated copy.

Edited by Hakufu1021

https://steamcommunity.com/app/883710/eventcomments/4932019131674286427 

Hello Resident Evil fans,

Due to overwhelming community response, we've reactivated the previous version that does not include ray tracing and enhanced 3D audio. Both enhanced and previous versions will be made available going forward.

Please follow the steps below if you wish to roll back to the previous version.

1. Click LIBRARY in Steam client.
2. Right-click the game and select ""Properties...""
3. In the pop-up menu, select ""BETAS""
4. From the pull-down menu, select ""dx11_non-rt"" (Note: password not required)
5. Close the pop-up menu and let the Steam client auto-update the game
6. You should be able to launch the game normally once the update completes
7. Please note some of the in-game option settings will be reset as a result of the rollback process.

If you would like to update the game to the new version again, simply select ""None"" from the pull-down menu in Step 4 above.

Resident Evil Team

6 hours ago, Hakufu1021 said:

They are absolutely notorious for this shit. Same thing is probably going to happen with Sunbreak. They did it with Iceborne, I'm sure it will happen again. I honestly think Capcom does this stuff on purpose now. To break all mods for a game to challenge the community. If the community responds, modding continues under the grey area. Otherwise, if the community says fuck it, they won the battle. It's one of those "we won't sue everyone into oblivion, but we absolutely refuse to cater to you degenerates and account for this community when making updates. Figure it out yourself." When modding ON PC, has directly correlated to increased sales. Hell, Doom 95 is an absolutely shining example of that. Oldschool ID and Build engine games still have active communities today, because the developers didn't hinder or obfuscate their work. And I'm using the oldest examples of gaming. Skyrim, Fallout, take your pick. I'm sure EVERY single person reading this post can say "I bought X game simply because it had a modding community."

I'm even further than that, I won't buy any game unless there are mods for it ? Bethesda clearly understood that having a modding community keeps their games alive for years, even decades, so they do what they can to encourage it. Capcom just needs to learn that lesson

16 hours ago, Pickle86 said:

you can just roll back to the previous version using the beta in steam.

And the point entirely went over your head.

The crux of the issue is, that branch can be taken away whenever Capcom decides to do it. Thus destroying the entire mod community! UNLESS, Tool creators update to the latest version. (I mentioned that above.) Or they release the source code of their tools so people can do what they need to with them.

@pennywise57 - I'm getting to that point to. Unless it's a release I don't particularly mind not having mods for, I usually come here first and see if any modders have interest before I buy the game.

Edited by Hakufu1021

I think capcom knows people are pissed now. So hopefully with resident evil village gold edition they will leave mod support in. It caused enough of an uproar that they had to put in the ability to role back. Mods breathe new life into games, Im always replaying old favorites just because of a mod i enjoy, Its just fun. If the functionality is already there whats the point of taking it away?

• 3 weeks later...

I rarely update my games, even over a year I played with the version that has my mods & trainers worked.  There's a trick that force Steam to launch the game, by passing the Update Required.

I also backup the game's folder to another drive.