Hi there,

I've recently come across a weird glitch where my player after reaching the health threshold of 0 would just spring back up again with the (I'm bleeding out) prompt on the top left of the screen. Is there a way to remove the essential tag via fallrim or some save editor software?

This glitch does not happen with my previous save so something must've trigged it somehow. 

loadorder.txt

• 2 years later...
8 minutes ago, Andarus said:

Same bug. I tried setessential 7 0 and checked xEdit. Its some mod that makes the player essential via script. When I start a new Game its not like that.

Better hope its done with a script, as finding that is going to be considerably easier than finding a quest with an alias that sets the referece to essential - and the player being assigned to this alias.

...well actually, the latter can maybe be found with an xEdit script now that I think of it. 🤔

5 hours ago, traison said:

Better hope its done with a script, as finding that is going to be considerably easier than finding a quest with an alias that sets the referece to essential - and the player being assigned to this alias.

...well actually, the latter can maybe be found with an xEdit script now that I think of it. 🤔

Well both is pretty hard. I just gave up and accept that I'm immortal. I'm not trial and error 1400 Mods.

22 hours ago, Andarus said:

Well both is pretty hard. I just gave up and accept that I'm immortal. I'm not trial and error 1400 Mods.

Edit: Before doing any of this, it would be useful to know if you're actually essential or just protected. Both may act in a similar way but are 2 entirely different things. You may need to write a Papyrus script to find out. There may also already be a mod on the Nexus to check this - seems like a simple yet somewhat common thing.

Script:

Get Notepad++. Use it to search through all pex files in all mods for "SetEssential" and/or "SetProtected". Note that these act on the actorbase, so you wouldn't be looking for a reference to 0x14 but rather 0x7.

xEdit:

1. Copy the code below into notepad, save it with the pas extension in xEdit's "Edit Scripts" directory.
  2. Start xEdit, load your entire loadorder as-is, do not change the selection at startup.
  3. Right click any plugin and select Apply Script.
  4. Find the script file you saved.
  5. The result will be in the Messages tab after ~5 mins.
  6. Start by going through the aliases that were added by mods. Use the ShowQuestAliases console command in-game to locate the one that has a reference to the player. ReSaver may work as well, not sure. To potentially automate this step a bit, consider editing the output from my xEdit script and turning it into a bat file that you can run in-game (see the spoiler below).

{
  Find all aliases that set their reference to essential.
  Use "ShowQuestAliases [QuestID]" to inspect references in-game.
  ReSaver may show references as well?
}
unit UserScript;

function Initialize: integer;
var
  i: integer;
  j: integer;
  f: IInterface;
  e: IInterface;
  sig: string;
begin
  // iterate over loaded plugins
  for i := 0 to Pred(FileCount) do begin
    f := FileByIndex(i);

for j := 0 to Pred(RecordCount(f)) do begin
        e := RecordByIndex(f, j);
        sig := Signature(e);
        if sig = 'QUST' then SearchQuest(e);
    end;
  end;
end;

procedure SearchQuest(e: IInterface);
var
    m, name: string;
    i: integer;
    aliases, alias, flags: IInterface;
begin
    aliases := ElementByName(e, 'Aliases');

for i := 0 to Pred(ElementCount(aliases)) do begin
        alias := ElementByIndex(aliases, i);
        name := GetElementEditValues(alias, 'ALID - Alias Name');
        flags := ElementByName(alias, 'FNAM - Alias Flags');

if ElementExists(flags, 'Flags\Essential') then begin
            AddMessage('Essential -> Quest:' + IntToHex(GetLoadOrderFormID(e), 8) + ', Alias:' + name);
        end;

if ElementExists(flags, 'Flags\Protected') then begin
            AddMessage('Protected -> Quest:' + IntToHex(GetLoadOrderFormID(e), 8) + ', Alias:' + name);
        end;
    end;
end;

end.

Spoiler

Essential -> Quest:000880EB, Alias:Opponent
Essential -> Quest:00093807, Alias:MS06FalkFirebeard
Essential -> Quest:00093807, Alias:MS06Styrr
Essential -> Quest:000AF269, Alias:Helgird
Essential -> Quest:000AF269, Alias:Calixto
Essential -> Quest:000AF269, Alias:Silda
Essential -> Quest:000AF269, Alias:Jorleif
Essential -> Quest:000AF269, Alias:Susanna
Essential -> Quest:000AF269, Alias:Wuunferth
Essential -> Quest:000AF269, Alias:Viola
Essential -> Quest:000E3145, Alias:QuestGiver
Essential -> Quest:000E3145, Alias:QuestgiverEssentialized

After the duplicates are removed (Notepad++  can do this automatically), this gets turned into:

ShowQuestAliases 000880EB
ShowQuestAliases 00093807
ShowQuestAliases 000AF269
ShowQuestAliases 000E3145

Save as a file with the bat extension in the game root folder - same place where SkyrimSE.exe is. Run it in game with the bat command.

Edit: If you have a lot of suspects, split them up into multiple bat scripts, otherwise the output in the in-game console will flow out of the buffer and data will be lost.

Edited by traison

Hey, thanks a lot for the help. Sadly nothing came up. All Player = None.

There is a a "isessential <baseID>" command and if I use "isessential 7" I get a 1.

setessential 7 0 does not work however.

Something went wrong in my Playthrough somewhere.

The setessential true on player will not cause this bug (player springs up with full health).

The player would remain in bleedout for ever.

Mentioned effect is very likely caused by a resethealthandlimbs command in a script.

Vampire mods e.g. do this. I use it in a mod together with setessential (but as toggle and well conditioned with single update aplied and removed).