Remove wigs from decapitated NPCs

Hi so I've been trying to overhaul my NPCs on my SSE and I came over, in my opinion, an excellent mod, which gives all female NPCs KS hairdos with physics. The mod in question is called High Poly NPC Overhaul, installing which requires its own resources that includes a patch to give HDT KS hairdos to all female NPCs. Now I also use Maximum Carnage which also includes some decapitation kills, the problem is the hairs applied by said overhaul are wigs, so everyone i decapitated are lying there with hair(wig) floating without the head mesh since the head is gone already.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this? Now I have been a skyrim mod user for years but I don't create my own mod, but the best solution I can guess is to hide the wigs as soon as an NPC is flagged as decapitated or convert the wigs into actual hair. Both of which i have no knowledge how to do lol. Any help or suggestion is appreciated.

2 hours ago, bnub345 said:

Actual physics hair will crash your game like crazy.

No, they wont. Stop spewing nonsense.

3 hours ago, pandaemonia said:

Is there anything I can do to remedy this?

Open up the CK or TESVedit and assign the wigs to the "hair" slot. sometimes they are assigned to helmet or circlet slot for reasons.

6 minutes ago, Pamatronic said:

That was certainly my experience when I tried giving NPCs HDT hair instead of the wigs. HDT hair worked fine for the PC but I had a lot of CTDs trying to add it to facegen nifs. Maybe that isn't the correct way to go about it, I don't know.

34 minutes ago, Pamatronic said:

Ah right, I am actually kinda puzzled by the first reply since i went into an entire town with women flaunting hair with physics and my game ran just fine. Was curious whether assigning wigs to hair slot actually crashes the game. Also to bnub you could maybe try the mod too, I am actually baffled that my game ran well with it installed since I used to hear people saying applying hair physics to every NPC will crash the game or something like that.

34 minutes ago, Pamatronic said:

Open up the CK or TESVedit and assign the wigs to the "hair" slot. sometimes they are assigned to helmet or circlet slot for reasons.

does this mean i have to scour each edited character and change the assigned slot one by one in tesvedit? I really have no experience tinkering with mods ?. Is there any guide on how to do this? I'll maybe also start looking this up myself

Edited by pandaemonia
2 minutes ago, pandaemonia said:

does this mean i have to scour each edited character and change the assigned slot one by one in tesvedit

You have to do it for Every wig.

4 minutes ago, pandaemonia said:

Is there any guide on how to do this?

The CK wiki is my personal choice when looking stuff up.

https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Armor

Should be rather easy to do with TESVedit as well. I rarely work with armors, so im not entirely sure how this entry would look like, but you will probably find it somehow.
If not, google is your friend here. There are countless guides and videos out there on how to use TESVedit.

One more thing, is there any other mod that gives female NPCs hair with physics for skyrim special edition aside from the one i mentioned in my original post? I'd really rather not go through the trouble to do my own edits if I could, but if tesvedit-ing my current mod is the only way then I'll try it somehow.

Edited by pandaemonia

1. Load your mod esp in xedit (tesvedit)

2. Expand Armor node of your esp by clicking on + next to armor

3. Select the item you want to change slot number

4. Right hand side BOD2 section

5. Right click existing slot number and choose edit

6. Check slots you want to use uncheck existing

7. Ctrl LeftClick associated AA (Armor Addon)

8. This will jump you to the AA entry for that item

9. Repeat same as Step 4 BOD2 section change slot to match Armor slot

image.png.ab611f8fa8ee8f3277e8e79b062b33e2.png

Edited by Imperfection
53 minutes ago, Imperfection said:

1. Load your mod esp in xedit (tesvedit)

2. Expand Armor node of your esp by clicking on + next to armor

3. Select the item you want to change slot number.....

Thank you for the instructions, im kinda at a loss from step 5 onward but i'll keep on trying and mess around anyway :)

1 hour ago, pandaemonia said:

Thank you for the instructions, im kinda at a loss from step 5 onward but i'll keep on trying and mess around anyway :)

In my image the left is the item you are editing - Right hand side is the data for that item

Every armor item is made up of 2 entries "Armor" and "Armor Add On" you need to edit both.

If you right click on "31-Hair" to the right of "First Person Flags (sorted)", this is the existing slot number of the item, a menu will pop up (choose "edit" as shown in original image) and a window will open that allows you to edit the slot number. Choose the slot you need in your case it was suggested to change to slot 31. Your existing item may have a different value like 42, in my image it just happens to already be 31.

To edit the items "Armor Addon" data, Hold down CTRL and left click Armor Add on object like in my picture (red box with ctrl-leftclick next to it), This is section called "Armature" to the right of "MODL" is the link to Armor Add-On table. You could manually expand "Armor Addon" section of esp just like you did Armor in the beginning steps and search for item but why when you can just jump to it.

image.png.8b24f85ebed560de2e74a8b479a74f99.png

Slot Selection Window

Once you have edited both exit xedit and it should prompt to save, otherwise CTRL-S to save before exiting.

Edited by Imperfection

Thank you for the help imperfection, your instructions are crystal clear. Turns out I got stumped because all the assigned wigs/hairs are already on slot 31, so I really have no idea what else to edit. Guess I'll wait until the mod author does something about it or until i find other mods that does the same thing, speaking of which I'd appreciate if someone does have a suggestion for a mod which does that, replacing female NPC hair with HDT physics hairs.