Healing Collar (Locked & "Glowing" variant)

Healing Collar (Locked & "Glowing" variant)

View File

UPDATE 2022-01-07 - I have decided to upload a new version of this mod based upon user feedback. As always, thank you for your feedback. I have not deleted the prior version; It is still available should you decide to download that one as well. They are virtually the same, file structure wise and, if you are mod-proficient, the only change is in the .ESP file itself. The script is identical. However, you may only choose one to use (again, unless you are mod-proficient and want to change the .ESP file name).

The changes are as follows: I've increased the healing rate a bit but, at the same time, I've also increased the radiation a tiny, tiny bit as well. The net result, though, is more healing for the radiation. I don't necessarily think that it's overpowered but, again, to each their own. The big change is in HOW you get radiated; If you stand still, you won't be irradiated. This should resolve a bunch of playstyle concerns that were expressed. If you're moving, you get irradiated. You will still "heal" your radiation by crouching and not moving. And, of course, the collar is still unlockable.

Another significant change is in the environmental storytelling; In brief, the note is more visible (hopefully) and a few aspects of the story are a bit more ambiguous (because we all love happy endings).

As always, constructive feedback is always welcome. Thank you and I hope that you enjoy the mod.

UPDATE - 2021-12-31 - The original version of this mod likely contained an incorrect script, causing the collar not to lock once it was equipped. Please download this new version of the mod. All that has been changed is the script itself; All other aspects of the mod has remained the same. Thank you.

OVERVIEW - This file contains a collar that, once worn by the player, can not be removed unless you use console commands ("player.unequipitem xx001066", the 'xx' being the order number that the mod is loaded). The collar has healing properties but emits a tiny bit of radiation (with one exception, being that you must be crouched & motionless). I do not consider this collar overpowered (nor do I consider the amount of radiation damage debilitating) but, to alter a phrase, "overpowered" is in the eye of the beholder. I certainly wouldn't depend upon this collar alone to save me in a combat situation. On the other hand, you could wear the collar for awhile in a radiation-free zone without the urgent need for a constant supply of Radaway.

The mod does contain a script; The script is how the collar locks to the player.

There is a tiny bit of "physical storytelling" included in order to make the mod lore-friendly.

The collar can not be constructed and there is only one of them. The location of the collar is, as always, a bit spoiler-ish. Here is that location:

Spoiler

It is located inside of a house in Concord (not an interior cell).

The non-spoilerish hint for the location would be - If you go past the Museum of Freedom, you've gone too far.

Installing / Uninstalling - I have used 7-zip to compress the file. You may install this mod manually or through a mod manager. It ought to work regardless of that method. As with all mods with scripts, it is not recommended to continue using a save file that depended upon a mod with a script based upon how Fallout 4 creates saved games. The mod does require that the player has the Nuka-World DLC (although this should not be a huge detriment as most players have the Fallout 4 GOTY edition or it's equivalent by now) because the collar comes from that DLC.

Please do not distribute this mod to NexusMods. I do not hate them; I merely want to monitor the progress of this mod from one central location and have complete control over whether to modify or completely remove it. NexusMods now has a policy whereby a creator does not retain complete control over their mod and so I do not want to be answering questions about possible earlier versions of mods that I create, nor do I have the time to provide support for those possible earlier versions of mods.

I hope that you enjoy this mod; Having collars that irreversibly lock and had a bit of a "price" to them for what they provided in abilities were requested features for this collar and I hope that I've implemented those features successfully. If not, please provide constructive feedback as rates of healing and radiation may always be adjusted. Also, I just realized that the tiny bit of story-telling involved may be misconstrued. No ill intent was ever intended and it was just myself trying to give creative (and, hopefully, amusing) credit to others while also learning a few things about the Creation Kit. Nobody, and no mod, is perfect. Thank you.

Edited by Victor15
There is a new version of the mod.

Do you just pick up the collar and put it on, or is there some other way it is equipped, or auto-equipped. Such as enemies, proximity equipping, Synth Dog equipping it to you, etc...

Possible Auto-Equipping ideas...

1. Enemies... Enemies equip it on you, during Violate Scene, if Violate mod is used.

2. Proximity Auto-Equipping... Get too close, and it automatically snaps onto your neck.

3. Synth Dogs... Attacked by Synth Dogs, you end up Dog Collared.

4. Cryo Start... New start, you exit the Cryo Chamber, to find a collar on yourself. It won't come off...

5. Kill Someone... You shoot someone, and it seeks out a new victim. Auto-Equips to you...

Just some possible Auto-Equipping ideas, unless it already does that. Just ignore this post, if you don't like the ideas... :)

Hello Fancycuckoo & Krazyone. I apologize for the delay in replying to you.

To Fancycuckoo, thank you for bringing this situation to my attention. It is likely that the wrong script was packed for the mod. Please download the mod again and attempt to use the collar. If you are proficient in modding, you don't even need to install the entire mod; Just take the script in this new version of the mod and use it with the existing portion of the mod. Please see if that combination works. Again, thank you very much for bringing this issue to my attention.

To Krazyone, yes, you pick up the collar and put it on as you would any other piece of clothing. Once it is equipped, it can not be unequipped (unless you use console commands as described in the file description).

Again, thank you both for your feedback. Right now, the Internet for me is very slow and I do not want to write anymore. I will, though, continue to see if this problem persists with others. Thank you.

13 minutes ago, fancycuckoo said:

Mod works now. Thanks. Are you planning on making a set of items?

First, thank you for re-testing the mod and verifying that it works now. I am greatly relieved that it now works as intended and I hope that you enjoy it.

As to your question, it is an open topic. I have no concrete "plan" for more items beyond the "upgradeable" healing collar which is well into production. That doesn't mean that there won't be more items, just that the future has not already been determined and I am always open to suggestions to create mods that are vaguely within my capabilities.

I have already made a pair of "stability goggles" which you may want to investigate at your leisure. I may create an "upgradeable" version of that item now that I heave learned how to create such upgrades.

Also, I should re-upload to my new account (I used to be "Victor14" until Loverslab changed the way that you signed into it's website) my existing items of the recharging laser & plasma weapons. And, of course, I always have "in-house" items that I may always convert into more lore-friendlier versions.

To be honest, I have benefited greatly from the generosity and expertise of other modders when it comes to Fallout 4 and it's only fair to give back what I can to the remaining community. My modding skills are admittedly modest (for example, my scripting skills are far more "error" when it comes to "trial and error") but if there is a particular item of interest that you would prefer to see, please suggest it. Although my skills may not be capable of producing that item... You never know. There's a certain "give and take" to this process: For instance, before the healing collar became as popular as it did, I had no serious intention of creating an "upgradeable" version of that item (mainly because I did not know how to make such an item). However, the popularity of that item spurred me to investigate that capability further until I did learn how to achieve upgrades with items.

But, as I wrote, the immediate future is to simple push the "upgradeable" healing collar over the line (which will be pretty considerable for me, considering that I have yet to attach any "lore" to it) and then, once that occurs... Who knows? It is all up to a combination of suggestions from people such as yourself and what I have created for myself.

Again, thank you for re-testing the mod and verifying that it now works as intended.

Couple issues with this variant based off of some quick testing.

• The collar does rad damage 24/7 (which is mildly annoying).
  • Taking rad damage disables the ability to sleep.
    A possible solution would be to have it deal double the rad damage, but only half of the time.
  • If you fast travel, I think it heals the low rad damage it's doing, thereby 'healing' your rad damage (not positive about this one though).
  • While I get that this was the 'quick' way to 'lock' it, having it unlock with, say, the Slave Collar key from Deviously Cursed Wasteland would, IMO, be a better thing - especially given that you can't even sleep with it equipped.

IMO, this mod should also be 1 post, not 2.  You can have multiple downloads for the same mod, after all.

3 hours ago, ChandraArgentis said:

Couple issues with this variant based off of some quick testing.

• The collar does rad damage 24/7 (which is mildly annoying).
  • Taking rad damage disables the ability to sleep.
    A possible solution would be to have it deal double the rad damage, but only half of the time.
  • If you fast travel, I think it heals the low rad damage it's doing, thereby 'healing' your rad damage (not positive about this one though).
  • While I get that this was the 'quick' way to 'lock' it, having it unlock with, say, the Slave Collar key from Deviously Cursed Wasteland would, IMO, be a better thing - especially given that you can't even sleep with it equipped.

IMO, this mod should also be 1 post, not 2.  You can have multiple downloads for the same mod, after all.

Thank you for your feedback. Having a collar that locks and/or gives off radiation isn't a style of playthrough that I'm familiar with; They were both requested features based off of the original healing collar. As a result, some tweaking of the features are likely to occur until an acceptable balance is found.

I'd like to point out that this particular collar doesn't give off radiation all of the time; I anticipated that some people might not appreciate having a collar irradiate them (especially if it locks with no way to unlock it). Therefore, you can stop the collar from irradiating you by crouching and not moving at the same time. What's more, if you hold that position, the radiation slowly disappears. I alluded to the radiation being removed in the note next to the collar but it could be stated more clearly.

I was able to crouch, not move & activate a mattress in order to go to sleep in the game. Please try it out for yourself to see if it works for you. I didn't try it out on a bed although I can imagine that you can jump onto a bed, crouch, not move and perform the same feat.

As for fast travel, I am not sure how to handle the collar irradiating the player and using fast travel. I really didn't want the radiation to be so debilitating as to adversely affect a typical person's gameplay style; That's why it's as low as it is. It's there, it's mildly annoying and, if you don't at least pay attention to it on occasion, it could adversely affect you. It is a small price to pay for the other benefits of the healing collar.

Having unequippable items is a playstyle that I'm not familiar with at all (although everyone's Pip-Boy is, technically, unequippable). I was already anticipating just how to unlock it in the event that I received feedback from players wanting some ability to unlock it without using the console command; I even included the console command for how to unlock it in the mod's description in the event that people really did have "wearer's remorse" (of course, they knew going in that the collar couldn't be unlocked so... "Wearer Beware"?).

One possible way of "unlocking" the collar within the game would be through the "upgrade system" reserved for armor and weapons. It's conceivable that the script, being attached to the weapon itself, could be instead attached through an enchantment and that enchantment could be changed when the collar is "upgraded" (aka "unlocked"). That route is definitely something to consider in future versions of the mod. I am unfamiliar with the playstyle so I don't know what is considered acceptable and what isn't with those playstyles. How difficult and/or often should the player be capable of removing a "locked" item from themselves?

Again, thank you for your feedback.

3 hours ago, Victor15 said:

One possible way of "unlocking" the collar within the game would be through the "upgrade system" reserved for armor and weapons. It's conceivable that the script, being attached to the weapon itself, could be instead attached through an enchantment and that enchantment could be changed when the collar is "upgraded" (aka "unlocked"). That route is definitely something to consider in future versions of the mod. I am unfamiliar with the playstyle so I don't know what is considered acceptable and what isn't with those playstyles. How difficult and/or often should the player be capable of removing a "locked" item from themselves?

I, for one have advocated to using it as a mod for Real Handcuffs or one of the Devious Devices addons (might be Deviously Cursed Wasteland that adds that, unsure).  I did indeed see the way to remove it in the console, and it’s much appreciated.

I think the request for radiation and locking were two separate requests, but I’m experimenting with a mod where radiation causes sexy mutations, so I’m fine with it.

Thanks for the tip about crouch-sleeping though.  I hadn’t tried that.

Forgot one other point of feedback.  I miss the note that was found with the original.  It added a sense of ‘flavor’ to it.  An easy fix would be to dress my corpse up, and have two lootable notes on it - one resembling the original, and the second being a diary entry like it shows now.

Also, it sucks being dead.  ?

15 hours ago, ChandraArgentis said:

The collar does rad damage 24/7 (which is mildly annoying)

There are mods that remove the sounds of the geiser that make it less annoying

8 hours ago, ChandraArgentis said:

I think the request for radiation and locking were two separate requests

Yes it was :)

Edited by tuxagent7

IMO, you should create your own quest around these.

IMO, it would work somewhat like the Cursed Collar from Deviously Cursed Loot, although each item in the set actually has beneficial buffs, and none of them are unequipable - until you get to the final stage.  There's a few 'mmo' artwork pieces that it could kind of work like that could give you further inspiration (aside from DCL).

Examples:

On 1/2/2022 at 1:35 AM, Victor15 said:

Thank you for your feedback. Having a collar that locks and/or gives off radiation isn't a style of playthrough that I'm familiar with; They were both requested features based off of the original healing collar. As a result, some tweaking of the features are likely to occur until an acceptable balance is found.

I'd like to point out that this particular collar doesn't give off radiation all of the time; I anticipated that some people might not appreciate having a collar irradiate them (especially if it locks with no way to unlock it). Therefore, you can stop the collar from irradiating you by crouching and not moving at the same time. What's more, if you hold that position, the radiation slowly disappears. I alluded to the radiation being removed in the note next to the collar but it could be stated more clearly.

I was able to crouch, not move & activate a mattress in order to go to sleep in the game. Please try it out for yourself to see if it works for you. I didn't try it out on a bed although I can imagine that you can jump onto a bed, crouch, not move and perform the same feat.

As for fast travel, I am not sure how to handle the collar irradiating the player and using fast travel. I really didn't want the radiation to be so debilitating as to adversely affect a typical person's gameplay style; That's why it's as low as it is. It's there, it's mildly annoying and, if you don't at least pay attention to it on occasion, it could adversely affect you. It is a small price to pay for the other benefits of the healing collar.

Having unequippable items is a playstyle that I'm not familiar with at all (although everyone's Pip-Boy is, technically, unequippable). I was already anticipating just how to unlock it in the event that I received feedback from players wanting some ability to unlock it without using the console command; I even included the console command for how to unlock it in the mod's description in the event that people really did have "wearer's remorse" (of course, they knew going in that the collar couldn't be unlocked so... "Wearer Beware"?).

Another possible way to give the player a break from Radiation, is have it only irradiate under certain conditions.

Possible Collars...

- Naked Nora... Torso Clothing and Body Armour removed = Collar De-Activates Radiation, until you re-dress again. Humiliation device... Jack Cabot mission, Fuck You gift.

- Bikini Warrior... Certain Modded Clothing can temporarily De-Activate the Collar when worn. But they have other side effects. Sleazy training aid... Hancock equips you with it.

- Wasteland Rads... Only irradiates the player, when not in a Settlement. Picks up background irradiation, originally built for a Ghoul. Sell the Boy in the Fridge to Slavery, Fuck You gift.

- Irradiated Loner... Collar only irradiates the player, when in a Settlement. The towers and electronics, set it off.

- Dog Collared... Stops irradiating, when near a Dog. A short distance away from any Dog type creature, A Synth Dog mandatory present... Dogmeat's present...

Just some possible ideas, if someone is desperate for a way out of constant irradiation. Give them a temporary solution, that's just as bad, or worse... :)

Edited by Krazyone

Hello to everyone. My apologies for not replying sooner.

I will start by writing that my time for modding shall be greatly limited until the weekend. My time won't be limited to thinking about what to do, however.

Let me admit that I am befuddled by the feedback (which, as always, I greatly appreciate). I am not certain of how a collar that locks is supposed to work "in-game." My assumption was that there was to be some sort of penalty for it to be permanently placed onto the player. I'm also not certain what the purpose of having a slight penalty on an equippable item if you can merely remove that item whenever you want. Therefore, I naturally combined the two as they naturally complemented each other - You can't escape the collar once you equip it but it does provide healing capabilities. You can "escape" (temporarily, of course) the radiation by merely crouching and holding still. You can even just "sleep" the radiation off.

I will admit right now that the upgradeable healing collar will neither lock nor have a burden of any type (such as radiation).

I'm not good at creating marked quests at all (at least, not in Fallout 4). It is a skill that I would need considerable effort to achieve. I wouldn't have much of a problem with unmarked quests, of course, but the variety where you need stages and triggers and the what not escapes me at the moment.

Concerning the "environmental storytelling"... Well, this is why my career as a diplomat never really took off. I thought that it would be a bit more fun to perform some environmental storytelling than to just have "a suitcase somewhere" (like I have done with my previous mods). I wanted to thank the participants in this thread in some way (who doesn't want to be immortalized in a mod in some fashion?) and I envisioned that Chandra (who recommended having locked collars) had gotten more than what she had bargained for and that Tux (who I completely forgot to mention in he mod was a ghoul, since he wanted the irradiation) would inadvertently find someone who could help them out and that the method used for removing the collar was decapitation (insert macabre punchline here). The only skeleton available that was headless had no clothes. The whole point of it being a skeleton at all was to imply that whatever had happened had occurred long ago. Also... How do you know that there isn't more than one Chandra? (After all, there are quite a few "Garys" in the DC area, from what I remember...).

Believe it or not, I did look into the possibility of the radiation being random, being affected by sunlight, based on how much health that you had, etc. so forth. In the end, I always tend to gravitate towards simple solutions. I am not against the suggestions made by Krazyone (they are wonderful suggestions and they have given me some ideas for future projects).

In the end, I'm not entirely certain of how to "fix" this particular collar. It is an interesting puzzle that doesn't have an immediate answer.

I hope that this reply has answered all of the questions. And, of course, thank you for your feedback.

12 hours ago, Victor15 said:

In the end, I'm not entirely certain of how to "fix" this particular collar. It is an interesting puzzle that doesn't have an immediate answer.

I think what we’re mostly asking for is more options and, well, ‘more’ in general to turn this onto a fully fleshed out quest.

I can see a couple ways of ‘fixing’ it.

• Use MCM or some kind of player-adjustable variables to change settings.  EG: locked on/off, rads on/off, etc.
  • Multiple downloads with hard coded options.
  • Devious Device/Real Handcuffs integration/dependence.
  • Mod the ‘slave collar’ from DCW instead.

As to the rest of it, well, it’s clear that we’ve all been ‘inspired’ by this concept and our horny asses want there to be even more of the same.

I have released a new version of this mod based upon user feedback. In brief:

• I increased the healing a little bit. As always, "overpowered" is in the eye of the beholder. Let me know and I can always adjust it back down.
  • I also increased the radiation a tiny bit as well. Again, a small price to pay. If it's not enough, again, let me know.
  • Here's a big change: If you stand still, you are no longer irradiated. Now, it may take a brief moment from transitioning from running to being still for the change to take effect but what can do? Hopefully, this resolves a lot of the concerns that were expressed.
  • In terms of environmental storytelling, it's a bit spoiler-ish. The note is now more prominent than it once was.
  • And, the most important change of all, let's just say that Chandra's fate is far more ambiguous than it once was. Because who doesn't enjoy happy endings?

Now, a lot hasn't changed. The collar still locks. The collar still irradiates you (for as long as you are moving). The location of the collar hasn't changed. I would recommend that, if you are wearing the collar, that you unequip the collar (through console commands, obviously) and then re-equip it for the new effects to occur.

I know that it isn't a complete fix for all of the concerns but we can't let 'perfect' be the enemy of 'good.'

As always, thank you for using my mod and thank you for your feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a new healing collar variant here:

It is an upgradeable healing collar that, unfortunately, does not lock nor is radioactive (you can't have everything in life). However, I hope that you enjoy it nonetheless. I hope that you enjoy the mod. Thank you.