Editing .dds files with Paint.net?

I was trying to edit a body texture with Paint.net to adjust the color and brightness for personal preference, problem is, when I load up a save I end up with a solid black body. So I was hoping somebody might have a suggestion on the setting I should use. I was using B8G8R8A8 (Linear, A8R8G8B8) but I get this issue. I also didn't generated mip maps or cube map from crossed image, should I use those? It makes the file size shoot up so I didn't use it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/25/2021 at 4:10 AM, bigglebojiggle said:

I was trying to edit a body texture with Paint.net to adjust the color and brightness for personal preference, problem is, when I load up a save I end up with a solid black body. So I was hoping somebody might have a suggestion on the setting I should use. I was using B8G8R8A8 (Linear, A8R8G8B8) but I get this issue. I also didn't generated mip maps or cube map from crossed image, should I use those? It makes the file size shoot up so I didn't use it.

It mess up Layers...

its annoying with DDS but every time i edit my textures in GIMP when i want to change color or something

i have to connect all layers into one or while Exporting DDS i have to click "Only selected Layer" and select Layer i want to save from Layers Menu in Gimp

I don't use Paint.net but even if Paint.net is showing DDS correctly it does not mean that Skyrim will do that to...

Its best if u download Photoshop or Gimp with Plugin for DDS and use them isntead of Paint.net

1) Make sure its BC3 for LE or BC7 for SE ( compression )

2) generate Minimaps

3) make sure u have selected right layer ( or connect all layers into one )

Here pic:

image.png.f38315e2737af98d5c1700359979e9c4.png

Click picture to make it bigger...

You rly should not use Paint.net...

its rly Autistic program... GIMP is Free and DDS Plugin is also free...

if u have PS its even better... but using Paint.net?...

On 1/19/2022 at 12:36 PM, ̖̪. said:

It mess up Layers...

its annoying with DDS but every time i edit my textures in GIMP when i want to change color or something

i have to connect all layers into one or while Exporting DDS i have to click "Only selected Layer" and select Layer i want to save from Layers Menu in Gimp

I don't use Paint.net but even if Paint.net is showing DDS correctly it does not mean that Skyrim will do that to...

Its best if u download Photoshop or Gimp with Plugin for DDS and use them isntead of Paint.net

1) Make sure its BC3 for LE or BC7 for SE ( compression )

2) generate Minimaps

3) make sure u have selected right layer ( or connect all layers into one )

Here pic:

image.png.f38315e2737af98d5c1700359979e9c4.png

Click picture to make it bigger...

You rly should not use Paint.net...

its rly Autistic program... GIMP is Free and DDS Plugin is also free...

if u have PS its even better... but using Paint.net?...

I'll keep that in mind. On my other, more casual pc Gimp really slowed everything down, so I never put it on this pc. The problem was just the setting I chose, using a different one with mipmaps worked great.