TESO - Modding and a vague release date.

Daguy

Haha, seems that the TESO developers are giving a subtle nod towards those who mod thebodies of their characters in Elder Scrolls game.

From an escapist interview...

'You can tweak everything about your character's appearance, from facial hair and "adornments" to body type, eyebrow placement and my personal favorite - "posterior protrudement.'

But of much more interest is this passage: 'One thing I noticed poking around the menus was a menu that said "Mods". Opening it up didn't show any mods installed, but there were buttons that seem to let you enable or disable mods for specific characters. Hopefully this means ESO will have mod support as robust as the single-player franchise. Fingers crossed - I think that kind of functionality would increase the game's popularity with fans sevenfold.'

Depending on whether they are checked server-side this may at the very least mean some none-adult customization. Thought?

Sadly, and annoyingly considering its in Beta and seemed near release, they note its release date as being spring 2014. Ugh.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10388-Hands-On-The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-Sucked-Me-In-Instantly?utm_source=latest&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

well i do hope that tes will shut the mouth of blizzard..serious their game needs to be overtaken by someone already

I agree. But the inherent problem is that most MMOs try to take Warcraft's crown by being Warcraft, following it's same tired models of loot progression, loot tiers, gear treadmills, forced group content, raids and dungeons, etc.

Things like sandbox MMOs and grouping when you want to as opposed to when the game wants to you seem to be ignored, because WoW doesn't do it.

Just like all the modern military shooters that are made by people who think they can trump CoD by becoming CoD, this will never work. Because people are already playing WoW and CoD.

Nothing I've seen of TESO tells me it's anything other than WoW Clone #712 with a fresh coat of paint. If I turn out to be wrong, then good, I hope I am.

well i do hope that tes will shut the mouth of blizzard..serious their game needs to be overtaken by someone already

I agree. But the inherent problem is that most MMOs try to take Warcraft's crown by being Warcraft, following it's same tired models of loot progression, loot tiers, gear treadmills, forced group content, raids and dungeons, etc.

Things like sandbox MMOs and grouping when you want to as opposed to when the game wants to you seem to be ignored, because WoW doesn't do it.

Just like all the modern military shooters that are made by people who think they can trump CoD by becoming CoD, this will never work. Because people are already playing WoW and CoD.

Nothing I've seen of TESO tells me it's anything other than WoW Clone #712 with a fresh coat of paint. If I turn out to be wrong, then good, I hope I am.

Just curious what makes you think it's similar to wow? Granted I haven't been following it that closely but from everything I've seen it's vastly different from wow compared to any other mmo I've played in the last 5 years, mainly because of combat but I have no clue how they will be handling max level.

Just keep in mind from what I know, yes 3rd person is an option but I think most people will play it in 1st person and combat will likely feel much like skyrim unlike tab targeting button mashing wow.    I think (crosses fingers)

Because they are ALL similar to WoW. Even if they start out unique, bone headed developers will start drooling at Blizzard's fanbase and start altering the game to become WoW.

It happened with Age of Conan, it happened with Guild Wars 2, and many others.

Could it not happen this time? Sure, but I'm too much of a cynic to expect that it won't.

I think it's been pushed back because of the consoles; as in, the game is being released for the PS4 and XBox One, so I figure they want to launch on consoles and PC at the same time.

That really isn't logical to me.

On the other hand if they're waiting to actually produce a launch MMO that has content and isn't a colossal, boring, content light,buggy mess like, say, SWTOR was. It's amazing how many developers underestimate the importance of the first few months of an MMO.

In that case I'm always for delaying launches until something is ready.

There are certain "mechanics" to an MMO that no matter how much the developer wants to be truly unique has no choice but to implement to make the game functional there is no way around it. The problem is that because WoW was such a big hit every one immediately compares new MMOs to WoW and in doing so never give them a fair chance.

There are certain "mechanics" to an MMO that no matter how much the developer wants to be truly unique has no choice but to implement to make the game functional there is no way around it. The problem is that because WoW was such a big hit every one immediately compares new MMOs to WoW and in doing so never give them a fair chance.

Somewhat, but when MMOs started out they were more open and sandboxey.

Then WoW came along with it's structured theme park mechanics, guiding you from quest zone A to quest zone B then on to dungeon A and raid B and now every single MMO in the universe has to follow suit.

Plus I don't for the life of me understand why none of these MMOs allow you to do dungeons solo - for most of them it'd be perfectly viable if not for the damage scaling. Sure, there should be lesser rewards but it would allow people to practice in a dungeon and not annoy others by learning.

That is true WoW unfortunately set a standard and in doing so other developers jumped on the bandwagon after seeing how popular WoW had become but we also got to take into account this is a TES style MMO. I know there are certain restrictions as to where you can go in the world because those areas are under the other factions control but I'd be willing to bet there will still be a lot more of an open world feel to TESO then other MMOs out there.

P.s. Some MMOs do have scaling dungeons where you could easily solo dungeons Aika being one of them. Games like that are rare but it does happen sometimes.

Because they are ALL similar to WoW. Even if they start out unique, bone headed developers will start drooling at Blizzard's fanbase and start altering the game to become WoW.

It happened with Age of Conan, it happened with Guild Wars 2, and many others.

Could it not happen this time? Sure, but I'm too much of a cynic to expect that it won't.

So because it's an mmo It will obviously be like Wow? Or have you watched game play videos that I haven't?

Archived