Poor Performance

vegaorc

So, one of the main reasons I emo-quit Oblivion very often is the poor FPS rate and the constant stutter when I move the camera around. Well there are other reasons like the choppy animations but whatever.

I tried PyFFI to improve the meshes... It didn't really make a difference (not sure if I made it right).

I tried using oblivion stutter remover and It worked fairly well to be honest... However I still experienced many many slowdowns... That's when I installed streamlines and everything got better but it makes me angry because it constantly lowers my graphic settings and I wish I didn't have to sacrifice the visuals of the game.

So my question is: are there any other options? I may not have the best PC out there but I can run Skyrim just fine... However... I don't like Skyrim that much, compared to Oblivion.

My pc specs:

Graphics card: NVIDIA Geforce 9600GT

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

RAM: 4gb

Thanks in advance!

Couple things to keep in mind:

1. Oblivion is an old game.  Thinking it will run as well as Skyrim is just plain wishful thinking.  Oblivion will only use 1 core and doesn't use a graphics card as well as skyrim.  This lack of multi-threading and optimization means you have to have more computer muscle to run things.

2. A 9600GT is only a ddr3 512MB card and frankly that just isn't going to cut it if you pile on a bunch of high rez textures. 

3. Have you installed the 4GB patch?  By default Oblivion will only use 2GB.

Now the good news is that you can in fact run Oblivion and be fairly stutter free if you are smart about what you install.

Some tips:

1. Be VERY wary of what you install.  Before installing it read the Readme or OP and make sure that it is not a high rez (2048 or 4096), also look through the textures folder to see the file sizes.  If you see individual texture files that are larger than 15MB then that plugin may not be for you.

2. Avoid ALL CM companions and CSR plugins.  These plugins are VERY script heavy and that can suck the crap out of your memory.

3. Avoid Tomago Club if you use Lovers with PK mods.  Again those plugins are full of scripts that fire constantly.

4. Avoid other script heavy plugins.  If you think one may be script heavy but don't know how to check then ask.

5. Make periodic backups and ALWAYS back up your game before installing a large mod.  You can compress your backup (no need to keep more than one - the latest) to save disc space.

6. Don't install mods like Qarl's texture pack.  You just don't have the umph computer-wise to run it.

7. Avoid mods like ENB or OBGE unless you are REALLY savvy on how to use them as they can drain your FPS.

Can't really give you any further advice without knowing what all you are running (or trying to).

Guess I can't ask for much more than what I already have. Overclocking is not an option for me as I lack the required cooling equipment etc... So I'll just follow your advice and try to optimize it the best I can.

Thank you! :)

... this ussually caused by modders who are relatively new in texturing.

Texturing is not the only mess such modders are making:

Lots of bogus nodes still present in the Nifs, tangent spaces not updated, chaotic folder structures and altering vanilla references come to mind as well.

To discern if the fps issue is related to installed mods or the PC being too weak. I suggest testing the game in a clean install, no mods, turn the game on ultra and highest resolution and make a new character. toggle the debug text to the see the fps and roam around.

It probably would not hurt.  However it would be best to back any texture up first prior to running them through the tool.

Back ups is always proper, but from what I've noticed, running it with minimum (safe) settings seems more or less safe. With tons of texture replacers and 100+ hours in a game I've noticed no issues.

Pyffi however, kinda terrifies me on each run as I'm so very terrified it will mess something up and I won't be able to trace it or run into the problem until much later.

I've been very successful thus far, but I've chosen only to touch the confirmed "safe" folders.

Archived