CTD as soon as I press "This is all a dream I need to wake up" or go past the soldier pointing to Vault 111

Sorry in advance if I posted in wrong area, first time I'm actually posting something.

In the attached images is my modlist as well as my plugin list, I ran LOOT and have F4SE installed properly (Followed the guide about paasting the files into game folder). Yet somehow I am having a CTD whenever I attempt to use the Start Me Up options or go through the normal start and attempt to go past the soldier pointing you up the hill to Vault 111.

I am using Buffout and installed it following the instructions.

Am I being stupid or something? 

1.PNG

2.PNG

Edited by HelpMyPPBroke
2 hours ago, HelpMyPPBroke said:

Sorry in advance if I posted in wrong area, first time I'm actually posting something.

In the attached images is my modlist as well as my plugin list, I ran LOOT and have F4SE installed properly (Followed the guide about paasting the files into game folder). Yet somehow I am having a CTD whenever I attempt to use the Start Me Up options or go through the normal start and attempt to go past the soldier pointing you up the hill to Vault 111.

I am using Buffout and installed it following the instructions.

Am I being stupid or something? 

1.PNG

2.PNG

If I understand correctly you have activated your mods before leaving the vault. In fact you are on the way to the vault at the start of the game.

This is a big No No.  Never activate mods until you leave the vault.

You can have ENB, F4SE and things like that, but no active mods, unless you are using an alternate start mod that starts after the vault exit, or a vanilla save that does the same thing.

I use a vanilla save and usually start out exiting Good neighbor.  Vanilla Save meaning no mods were active when the save game was created.  

You can find them on Nexus.  

Oops I guess you are using an alternate start mod.  Not sure that it is working though if you are just entering the vault.  

I will need to read up on that particular mod to see if it should do that.  Most will skip the whole vault entrance sequence, which can get quite boring after a few dozen times.

I would still ensure you have left the vault before starting mods.  May need to start a new game now in case of save corruption.  Also ensure that alternate start is working correctly.  Put UFO4 patch at top of list on MO2 left pane.  Just below DLC Automatron.

There is a guide on this site about setting up AAF.  It is usually toward the bottom of your load order on the left pane of MO2.

Not sure about StartMeUp.  I don't use that mod but I am going to read up on it now.

Edited by Samuraitech

After reading up about Start Me Up, it has not been updated since October of 2018. One mod that is mentioned, that could be an issue with it being out of date, is UFO4 patch.  UFO4 patch is updated regularly.  

There is a patch for this that user Dashboarderian has posted in the post section on Nexus for Start Me Up.  You may want to install that.  Looks like they may come out with a Start Me Up Redux according to the post, but you need to use the patch for now.

The Mod description also states that mods that alter dialogue or quests may not be compatible.  You are using Full Dialogue Interface, which is good because there is an install option for that when you install Start Me Up.  I use Extended Dialogue Interface, XDI, which may not work with this mod.  Also mods that do extensive overhauls to the game may be a problem.  It did mention specifically Killable Children, Nora Companion, and Piper Interview Restored are not compatible.  You may also have issues with Horizon, and Weapon Smith Extended.

EDIT:  You can use XDI for dialogue if you install the Normal Dialogue Prompts version of Start Me Up.

You may also look into your Buffout or Address Library.  You may want to uninstall them and try to start the game.  See if they might be an issue.  Ensure they are installed correctly

I don't see anything else that may cause a crash unless it's something in your game directories.  Ensure you are running or launching the game with F4SE and that it is set to run as Administrator.  Ensure MO2 is also running as Administrator.  Also make sure your anti virus is not having issues with MO2.  That can definitely happen until you add exclusions.

Edited by Samuraitech

Sorry I keep adding to this post but I found some more information about Start Me Up.

https://simsettlements.com/site/index.php?threads/potential-incompatibility-with-start-me-up.12572/

Read at bottom of page from user MrCJohn.  They seem to know what they are talking about and have some good info that may help.

It does caution that Start Me Up does write to files that UFO4 patch is trying to correct.  Try the UFO4 Patch for this mod.  If it still crashes my gut instinct is to look for alternatives until Start Me Up is updated.  

Hey thanks for the replies. I'm so used to modding Skyrim SE I forgot that you shouldn't have mods activated before leaving vault. I disabled all mods and I still CTD, not sure what is happening. I'm just going to have to delete everything and make a clean install of Falout and follow the ATF installation guide that is pinned on this site. Thanks again.

Also ensure you don't have any garbage or left over things in your game directories.  That could cause issues.  

I usually make a clean vanilla backup of my game directories for both FO4 and Skyrim.  This way if I screw something up I can drag them back into the Steam Game folder and start over without waiting for steam to reload.  Also good if Bethesda decides to do unexpected updates and break your mods.

14 hours ago, Samuraitech said:

Sorry I keep adding to this post but I found some more information about Start Me Up.

https://simsettlements.com/site/index.php?threads/potential-incompatibility-with-start-me-up.12572/

Read at bottom of page from user MrCJohn.  They seem to know what they are talking about and have some good info that may help.

It does caution that Start Me Up does write to files that UFO4 patch is trying to correct.  Try the UFO4 Patch for this mod.  If it still crashes my gut instinct is to look for alternatives until Start Me Up is updated.  

Thanks for posting all of this info, it's not something I've looked into much.  But just putting out there that I'm using Start-Me-Up loading after UFO and I'm not seeing crashes near the vault, my game's have been pretty solid for a while now.  But that's not to say that loading it after UFO may cause unseen issues, I'll have to take a closer peak when I get some time.  I am using XDI with it's related patches as well, and it works out great.  For example I can tell Piper I'm not a vault dweller :)

But I also just realized I'm using the previous version of UFO (2.1.2 beta), so that's interesting too.  I guess they don't keep older version in their files, which is a shame.  I'll have to be sure to manually back up the older version if I decide to update it.

So. Funny Thing.

I uninstalled Fallout 4, cleaned all directories and anything that was part of it. Reinstalled with no mods, started it, and it CTD. Still have no idea why. It is definately not a hardware problem as I can run more resource intensive games. Anybody have any idea? I'm going to try posting on other forums, ones that are less... unique.

On 12/10/2021 at 3:38 AM, Samuraitech said:

If I understand correctly you have activated your mods before leaving the vault. In fact you are on the way to the vault at the start of the game.

This is a big No No.  Never activate mods until you leave the vault.

I have 224 ESPs activated all the time, including such heavy ones as Conqueror (the one that populates settlements on the game start running for several minutes) with all dependencies, never had a problem with starting a new game.

OP, you could try some other fast start mod, like "SKK Fast Start new game", though I personally use Start Me Up recently w/o any problem.

It is definately not a hardware problem as I can run more resource intensive games.

I wouldn't be so sure since Bethesda games rape your hardware like no other game out there - from your CPU and GPU to the system bus, I remember PCIx 2 vs 3 benchmarks back in the days, Skyrim was the only game getting quite a boost from the upgraded bus. Besides, h/w problems may be sneaky AF, I had problems with Skyrim at some point that turned out being caused by failing SSD. If you can't start a vanilla game, there aren't many options.

But first try resetting your INI files - there is a folder "Fallout 4" in "Documents\My Games", remove all INI files there and run the launcher. Then try BethINI to tweak it.