Request for info: Skyrim AE update

Just posting to see if its safe now ? I haven't played Skyrim in years but installed it today as I finished modding FO4 perfectly now. Then I realized it seems there is a transition occurring . How have things progressed in the last week or so ?  I see there is a SKSE usable download . If its still a no go and idea how to downgrade as I've just installed today from steam. Thanks in advance you beautiful people ❤️

8 minutes ago, Auxitism said:

Sorry my noobish ways . The above is a link to rollback Skyrim . I'll attempt it this evening . Left this for my fellow noobs :)

Cancel that . Turn off updates in steam and use this. Easy ^_^. I'll shut up now . Love you guys though 

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57618?tab=description

Edited by Auxitism

Don't worry about being a noob. I had to redownload the game because something got broken along the way and certain things weren't right in the game. While I did the backup suggestion to avoid AE, I wound up doing one extra by backing up the bink64 dll file to avoid having to redownload a version to enable achievements and it's a good thing I did that because they updated the dll file and nobody thought of it. Also the link you shared is 2 years old for a previous build of SE. Not sure the same method would apply here as the one that was specifically to prevent the AE update was worded completely different.

Edited by Jgoftl

We have a long way to go before people would be able to make a typical LL setup with AE.   Not only does SKSE need to be fully ported and released (it's got a partial version with no DLL plugin support yet, and I suspect missing and partially working functions as well), but after *that* is done, then a lot of the core support mods usually required from the vanilla world (skeletons, bodies, physics, Fuz Ro Do'h, PapyrusUtils, JContainers, and RaceMenu just to name a few...) need to be made to work, which, for those which have plugin DLLs, will probably need at minimum a recompile, and potentially a major rewrite.   And *then*, core mods from here which include DLLs (Sexlab, Schlongs of Skyrim, Devious Devices just to name some...) will need *those* DLLs to be rebuilt / rewritten as well.

And once all that is done, anyone who has mods using scripts for any of those things is going to have to deal with potential bugfixes and the like due to changes in SKSE and to changes to Skyrim itself.   For example, there are reports that references from plugins may not have fully initialized when the player load event fires, and any mods which were dependent on that may now crash or fail in odd ways.    (However, it's not nearly as big a change as the switch from LE to SE - a lot of mods will simply work once their dependencies are working.)

So... no, It's not ready yet and might not be for weeks or even months.  And some mods may never be AE compatible, and others will only *sorta* work.

And like LE, even when it's all working, some people may never switch from SE to AE,,, but honestly, I think a larger group will eventually do the switch just because more mods will just work once the dependencies are there.

• 3 weeks later...