Easy Containers

Skyrim mod for item management.
Batch move unwanted items to any container.

Usage
First you need to "mark" some items so this mod knows you want to get rid of them.

• Put your unwanted items inside any container.
  • Make sure the game crosshair is over that container (the "Activate" message must be there).
  • Use "mark item" hotkey to remember those items.
  • If you get the message pop-up, your items will now be remembered.

Those items are marked forever.
If you want to add more to the Marked List, just put new items inside some container and mark them using the same steps above.

Whenever you have Marked items in inventory, all of them will be moved to any container under the crosshair.

• Put the crosshair over some container.
  • Press the "transfer" hotkey.
  • All Marked items will be transferred to that container.

Configuration
The plugin can be configured in Data\Platform\Plugins\easy-containers-settings.txt.

Settings:

• loggingLevel: How much spam do you want in your Skyrim console?

Possible values:
    - "none": No spam.
    - "error": Just errors and stuff like that.
    - "info": Detailed info so players can know if things are going as expected, but not enough for actual debugging.
    - "verbose": Info meant for developers. Use it for reporting errors or unexpected behavior.

You must use that word casing (double quotes included) as is, otherwise you'll get "verbose" level, no matter what.

• hkMark1: Hotkey for marking items inside a chest (default num1).
  • hkTransfer1: Hotkey for transferring marked items (default num2).

See DXScanCodes for all possible hotkey values.

Hard requirements
You'll need these mods to make it work.

Github

Do yourself and the rest of us a favor and start using Skyrim Platform to make your mods instead of Papyrus.

The source code for this plugin is here.

I'm no Skyrim Platform developer, by the way. Just a regular guy that fell in love with it.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    10/11/2021
  • Category
  • Requires
    Skyrim Platform, JContainers
  • Regular Edition Compatible
    No

@Papitas So, I'm having an issue with items not showing up after hitting the transfer button while both targeting or having open a "linked" container in the custom player home Elysium Estates. Also the only way I have been able to "mark" items successfully in that home is to put the items into a "normal" container that is not "linked" with other containers in the home. It would appear to me that there is an issue with using containers that are "linked" together, ie multiple containers that all have their inventory "linked" together so as to access it from multiple locations. Once I have items "marked" they transfer to "normal non-linked" containers just fine, however as soon as I target any container that is "linked" together with other containers of the same type, when pressing the "transfer" button the items will disappear from my inventory, and I get the message stating that (x)items transferred but, when opening the "linked" container the items are not there, either invisible, or just gone, not sure which, but I'm guessing just gone because they're not in my inventory and not showing up in any of the "linked" containers with the same name. See screenshots for visual reference to what I am referring to.

Items successfully "Marked"

ScreenShot22.png.49e9e52b0dcbaaff90d2d809b1c15449.png

Items say they are successfully transferred. Supposedly

ScreenShot23.png.8875bc27fe1268e07582cdd4186deb33.png

When opening the "linked" container it is empty, nothing showing up in any of the "linked ingredients" containers.

ScreenShot24.png.a603b8c84258ad3565aebd1bccde7ce8.png

I did test this with several of the "linked" containers in the house not just the ones labeled for ingredients, and I got the same results each time. Items say they transferred successfully but when checking the containers they are empty and the items are gone. Again it works perfectly with "normal" containers inside the Elysium Estate custom house, it just doesn't work as intended with the linked containers. Which are admittedly a nice convenience but not an absolute necessity, although if you have time and do not mind trying to get it to work with them along with normal containers I would be extremely grateful.  Aside from this small hiccup so far from testing it seems like a really great mod, thanks!

6 hours ago, Martok73 said:

@Papitas So, I'm having an issue with items not showing up after hitting the transfer button while both targeting or having open a "linked" container in the custom player home Elysium Estates. Also the only way I have been able to "mark" items successfully in that home is to put the items into a "normal" container that is not "linked" with other containers in the home. It would appear to me that there is an issue with using containers that are "linked" together, ie multiple containers that all have their inventory "linked" together so as to access it from multiple locations. Once I have items "marked" they transfer to "normal non-linked" containers just fine, however as soon as I target any container that is "linked" together with other containers of the same type, when pressing the "transfer" button the items will disappear from my inventory, and I get the message stating that (x)items transferred but, when opening the "linked" container the items are not there, either invisible, or just gone, not sure which, but I'm guessing just gone because they're not in my inventory and not showing up in any of the "linked" containers with the same name. See screenshots for visual reference to what I am referring to.

Items successfully "Marked"

ScreenShot22.png.49e9e52b0dcbaaff90d2d809b1c15449.png

Items say they are successfully transferred. Supposedly

ScreenShot23.png.8875bc27fe1268e07582cdd4186deb33.png

When opening the "linked" container it is empty, nothing showing up in any of the "linked ingredients" containers.

ScreenShot24.png.a603b8c84258ad3565aebd1bccde7ce8.png

I did test this with several of the "linked" containers in the house not just the ones labeled for ingredients, and I got the same results each time. Items say they transferred successfully but when checking the containers they are empty and the items are gone. Again it works perfectly with "normal" containers inside the Elysium Estate custom house, it just doesn't work as intended with the linked containers. Which are admittedly a nice convenience but not an absolute necessity, although if you have time and do not mind trying to get it to work with them along with normal containers I would be extremely grateful.  Aside from this small hiccup so far from testing it seems like a really great mod, thanks!

Thanks for reporting. 

I'm aware this has some issues. 

It's even possible to "transfer" items to normal furniture and it happens exactly what you are experiencing. 

In fact, I'm investigating how to reliably disable actions when pointing at anything that is not a container, but I'm having issues with that. 

So... please only use it on valid containers for the time being. 

I hope to make later versions more streamlined. 

Edited by Papitas
35 minutes ago, Papitas said:

Thanks for reporting. 

I'm aware this has some issues. 

It's even possible to "transfer" items to normal furniture and it happens exactly what you are experiencing. 

In fact, I'm investigating how to reliable disable actions when pointing at anything that is not a container, but I'm having issues with that. 

So... please only use it on valid containers for the time being. 

I hope to make later versions are more streamlined. 

Oh yeah, I just wanted to let you know about that specific issue with those linked containers in the Elysium Estate mod just in case anyone else uses that house cause it's freakin' awesome ?. I'm totally using "regular" containers right now for the time being ?. In case you don't have it, just a suggestion, download the EE mod and take a look at the coding for the linked containers, compare it to the code for a normal container and see what the difference is? Might be able to figure out a solution easier that way if you can see the code being used. Just a thought ?. Even with minor issues I still think you have done a fantastic job, I am so glad I don't to manually move a bazillion alchemy, smithy, and other crafting materials anymore ?. That was so damn annoying and tiresome, so this mod even with the little bugs is a godsend, thank you!

I know. 

Inventory management is the worst part of Skyrim, by far. 

I actually did this plugin for putting items inside a recycling chest that converts them to raw materials. 

Selecting items you know you don't want is quite a chore in this game. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I love this because I am a packrat and will absolutely carry every single thing out of every dungeon with me This actually seems Like a more convenient version of the 'salvage beacons' mod for Fallout 4

Perhaps (so it doesn't feel quite so cheaty) you could have a lore excuse with that one of the daedra has granted the player character a ghost servant or something. I mean if the transfer to storage mechanic is done by looking at a storage container and activating it presumably it wouldn't be too hard to tie it to a dummy spell. The ghost being dumb could even be the in universe explanation why only certain containers work. Just a thought since clearly the functionality is already here.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 3:13 PM, Farsh-nuke said:

Perhaps (so it doesn't feel quite so cheaty) you could have a lore excuse with that one of the daedra has granted the player character a ghost servant or something. I mean if the transfer to storage mechanic is done by looking at a storage container and activating it presumably it wouldn't be too hard to tie it to a dummy spell. The ghost being dumb could even be the in universe explanation why only certain containers work. Just a thought since clearly the functionality is already here.

Well... to be honest, I just see this a convenient way to concentrate on playing rather than wasting my time managing my inventory.

I think functionality like this should have been in the game all along.

So... I prefer leave lore reasons to individual players. I'm sooooo old school that I still remember when game developers trusted we players had something between our shoulders and let us use our imaginations for things like that.

I'm quite sure every single player can come up with way better lore than I ever could :)

6 hours ago, Papitas said:

Well... to be honest, I just see this a convenient way to concentrate on playing rather than wasting my time managing my inventory.

I think functionality like this should have been in the game all along.

So... I prefer leave lore reasons to individual players. I'm sooooo old school that I still remember when game developers trusted we players had something between our shoulders and let us use our imaginations for things like that.

I'm quite sure every single player can come up with way better lore than I ever could :)

I have a BA in Creative and Professional Writing and Film Studies. So thanks for that utterly needless insult. It's your mod if you don't want to do it, don't do it. 

19 hours ago, Farsh-nuke said:

So thanks for that utterly needless insult.

Sorry if I said something that was insulting to you.

Believe me, it was not my intention.

In fact, that's why I told you "everyone can come up with better explanations than I can come with"; I was thinking about yours.