Back 4 Blood

The devs have unfortunately already stated there will be zero mod support. They will be selling cosmetics and don't want to support third party stuff. Pretty shitty as a lot of L4D's longevity came from workshop mods. Hopefully a decent community springs up around modding here.

4 hours ago, Ninomae Takonis said:

The devs have unfortunately already stated there will be zero mod support. They will be selling cosmetics and don't want to support third party stuff. Pretty shitty as a lot of L4D's longevity came from workshop mods. Hopefully a decent community springs up around modding here.

That's kinda dumb. Don't Starve Together also sells cosmetic items while fully aware of a mod that allows modders to give their custom characters skins. All the devs did was tell the community to not make skins for official characters and items and I haven't seen any mods that break that rule. I think the B4B devs should make the game easy to mod, given L4D's legacy, requesting that its community not mod in official items and to report any.

On 8/7/2021 at 11:45 AM, Icantevenname said:

That's kinda dumb. Don't Starve Together also sells cosmetic items while fully aware of a mod that allows modders to give their custom characters skins. All the devs did was tell the community to not make skins for official characters and items and I haven't seen any mods that break that rule. I think the B4B devs should make the game easy to mod, given L4D's legacy, requesting that its community not mod in official items and to report any.

We can't at this point assess whether or not the game will be moddable or how the developers will react to their game being modded. I do think it is safe to assume that if they are selling cosmetics in a battle pass shop ala Apex Legends/Fortnite, there will be great resistance to third party mods. Expect EAC (or it's equivalent) and constant patches that break mods until the modding interest dies down. Not saying it would be impossible nor am I trying to be a pessimist, but I've seen some developers go through hell and back to protect their bottom line. They might think "If there's this nude mod, no one is going to buy our Legendary skins." and therefore pull overtime in trying to keep those options at bay. Double that on top of the fact that they went out of their way to say there would be zero mod support and you have a recipe for a big headache for all the mod community and fans of the game.

I'm sure that many fans of the game would still buy "Legendary Skins" even if there were third party adult oriented costumes, the problem is that the developers might not think so.

• 1 year later...