Faster than light speed ! WHAT THE ....

kingkong

Oh, look. R755 is back.

Unless scientists found a way to reliably collapse the superposition of entangled particles into a predetermined eigenstate, there is no transfer of usable information possible through entanglement. To my knowledge, this has not been done yet. Although I hope I am wrong. It would be awesome to have FTL communication :)

A huge problem with most pop-science analogies that describe entanglement, like “wiggling the electron” used by Michio Kaku, is that they give the wrong idea about entanglement. We cannot “wiggle the electron.” We observe it and thereby collapse the wave function. The result is random, either “up” or “down” with a 50/50 chance.

The weird thing with entangled particles is, by observing one, we also destroy the superposition of the other. If I measure particle A and see it spinning “up”, measuring particle B will always show a “down” spin.

However, there is no useful information transported. If I do not know anything about particle A and do my measurement on particle B, I have no way of knowing whether it was my own measurement that collapsed the wave function or if it was already collapsed by someone else performing a earlier measurement on particle A. The probability for both cases is the same.

It is not Morse code. Imagine trying to send a message with a Morse machine, where pressing the button randomly sends out a beep or doesn't. You can't. While both sender and receiver hear the same random beeps, instantaneous over any distance, they still only hear random beeps.

Oh, look. R755 is back.

Quack?

Unless scientists found a way to reliably collapse the superposition of entangled particles into a predetermined eigenstate, there is no transfer of usable information possible through entanglement. To my knowledge, this has not been done yet. Although I hope I am wrong. It would be awesome to have FTL communication  :)

That cannot be done as it contradicts uncertainty. Entaglement however suggest that space-time fabric is digital emulation so -in theory- quantum(digital) teleportation is perfectly possible.

A huge problem with most pop-science analogies that describe entanglement, like “wiggling the electron” used by Michio Kaku, is that they give the wrong idea about entanglement. We cannot “wiggle the electron.” 

That's because people in general like to visualize things even if it gives them the wrong idea. There is no "wiggle", it just mathematical rule set that defines behaviour(move) of energy.

We observe it and thereby collapse the wave function. The result is random, either “up” or “down” with a 50/50 chance.

Random is incorrect term, unless you claim there is no causality behind form of collapse. Statistical uncertainty is not = random. There is no random(non-causal) information, just unredable information.

The weird thing with entangled particles is, by observing one, we also destroy the superposition of the other. If I measure particle A and see it spinning “up”, measuring particle B will always show a “down” spin.

If that was true, quantum computations would not be possible. You cant take "subtle" measurment out of entangled system without destroying entanglement, but you're causing decoherence which needs to corrected. And, of course, entaglement is not just pehenomena between similar particles but virtually anything.

Archived