Mod archives - readme?

I noticed that most mod archives come without a readme of sorts and i wonder why that is.

Most files i download have some sort of readme, a manual that explains you what to do and what you may need additionally.

I started now, for myself, to add the information to the archive on my drive. Just so that i do not have to go back to the website.

Anyway, i am just curious why that is. Because the way it is, you sometimes do not know what you have. Especially if you do not use it for awhile.

Thanks for giving me some inside. :)

What you mean for "mod archives"?

The zip files (7zip, rar, etc) that creates a mod for some games?

Are you speaking about the mods from LoversLab?

Think it applies to most mods tbh, some do have a .txt in with the rest of the zip/winrar contents

image.png.e56482b4ae1b8535bb9e8de6b8e07122.png

But you'd only see it if you unzipped/opened it up, if your plugging it straight into a mod manager your never gonna see it other than maybe a few stray ones in your \data folder, which i'd imagine is why few mods come with them

Yeah checking in \data folder have a few

image.png.da110f6ce52555b596ebc27c4f629028.png

Edited by pinky6225
16 minutes ago, CPU said:

What you mean for "mod archives"?

The zip files (7zip, rar, etc) that creates a mod for some games?

Are you speaking about the mods from LoversLab?

What i mean is a file that comes with the archive and explains the mod and also would add mods you need additionally.

You know, like a read me file.

1 minute ago, Marg597 said:

Is the text file being read by a FOMOD installer and displayed on the screen during the install perhaps?

Dont believe so, checking the diary of mine mod which has one that has a directory called FOMOD and then some .xml's in there with the details that do get displayed

a readme.txt thats in the same place as the .esp/.esm/.bsa i think is just going to be treated like one of those and dumped in \data so unless its specific to the mod (like Falskaar2.2ReadMe) prolly just gets overwritten

1 minute ago, wutpickel said:

What i mean is a file that comes with the archive and explains the mod and also would add mods you need additionally.

You know, like a read me file.

Usually the description of the mod is in the mod page.

Not very often modders put a readme inside their mods.

3 minutes ago, Marg597 said:

Is the text file being read by a FOMOD installer and displayed on the screen during the install perhaps?

Yes, the do. Sometimes though, it does not explain always what a particular option does. For the most part i think it does.

Me personally think a file in the archive would be helpful.
I used to use Linux and all archives have a manual and a read me file. So i kind got accustomed to that. Normally people do not want to explain everything again if there is a readme file in it.

So i usually read what ever is in there.

The instruction with mods are usually on the webpage. Though i think in the archive they would be also good to have.

Like i said, i just wonder why it is the way it is. There is probably a reason.

20 minutes ago, pinky6225 said:

Think it applies to most mods tbh, some do have a .txt in with the rest of the zip/winrar contents

image.png.e56482b4ae1b8535bb9e8de6b8e07122.png

But you'd only see it if you unzipped/opened it up, if your plugging it straight into a mod manager your never gonna see it other than maybe a few stray ones in your \data folder, which i'd imagine is why few mods come with them

Yeah checking in \data folder have a few

Hide contents

image.png.da110f6ce52555b596ebc27c4f629028.png

That seems perfect. :)

I checked, for example, Racemenu and it does not have a readme.

I might be picky i suppose and the world turned also without readme's.

Your example is great.

Wish that would with more mods.