MCM problems with BrutalRapers and Hookups

For a long time, The Mod Configuration Menu was working perfectly for me.  But now, MCM is either failing to display the configuration options for SexoutBrutalRapers and SexoutHookups or displaying partial options (Screenshot1). In some instances, it partially displays the wrong mod's options (Screenshot4: Hookups options in BR Combat subpanel).  All of my other MCM-supported mods have no problems.  If I start a new game, the menus function normally. If I then proceed to load a saved game of my main character, the problems occur.  If I then try to reload the new game again, it now has the problems too.

Screenshot1

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

Screenshot4

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

My problem appears very similar to the one posted here (http://www.loverslab.com/topic/9535-mcm-bug/), but the solution to which it linked (http://www.loverslab.com/topic/9376-menu-unclickable/?do=findComment&comment=211978) doesn't work for me.

I think the problem is with MCM rather than the Sexout mods based on posts here and the Nexus forums.  To fix the problem, I also tried the following without success:

1. Reverted to an earlier saved game back when the menus were working properly.

2. Moved BrutalRapers and Hookups to the bottom of my load order.

3. Reinstalled MCM (including Bugfix 2), Hookups, and the latest BR.

4. Deactivated BR and Hookups, made a clean save, reactivated BR and Hookups (individually and later simultaneously).

5. Deactivated all Sexout mods except SexoutNg, SCR, SmallerTalk, and BR.

5. Installed Unified Hud Project

All of these failed approaches lead me to believe that the problem lies in the saved games of my main character. Assuming that the only data in a saved game file that would affect MCM is the saved settings for the mod, is there any way to specifically erase those settings (I had hoped step 4 would have done that)?  Besides playing without BR and Hookups, is there anything else I can try?

Load Order

FalloutNV.esm
CaravanPack.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
Primary Needs HUD.esm
T6M Equipment Replacer NV.esm
MikotoBeauty.esm
Sexout.esm
SexoutCommonResources.esm
SexoutSlavery.esm
SexoutLegion.esm
msexBase.esm
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
PMT - Slower Backward Movement.esp
PMT - Rude Awakening.esp
PMT - Reduced Ammo and Chems.esp
PMT - Reduced Caps and Item Value.esp
PMT - Honest Hearts Reduced Ammo.esp
PMT - More Demanding Hardcore.esp
PMT - Reduced World Items MORE DEMANDING HARDCORE.esp
PMT - Tougher economy.esp
Carrying Capacity Increase.esp
Centered 3rd Person Camera - Unraised.esp
pipboyx2.esp
T6M Dead Money Armor.esp
MikotoBeauty.esp
SexoutZAZ.esp
st.esp
SmallerTalk.esp
SexoutFadeToBlack.esp
SexoutSex.esp
SexoutFiends.esp
SexoutKhans.esp
SexoutKings.esp
SexoutNCR.esp
SexoutPowderGangers.esp
SexoutWorkingGirl.esp
msexVeronica.esp
msexFort.esp
msexCourtesan.esp
SexoutBrutalRapers.esp
SexoutHookupsAlt.esp

Note: I have tried moving BR and HookUps in various spots under SmallerTalk.

Just like in dostrojan's experience, the broken menus function normally when a new game is started.  If I then proceed to load a saved game from my main character, the menus are broken again.  If I then directly load the new game I just started, the menus there become broken. 

But the exact nature of the problem isn't aways the same.  For example, the last time I tried it, I started a new game and everything worked.  I loaded my main character's save and BR's submenus were listed and displayed properly, but they were under the Hookups name in the left window.  Clicking on BrutalRapers in the left window did nothing.  Hookups options were completely absent.  I then loaded the new game I just made and the menus for both BR and Hookups were both completely absent. This is why I'm thinking some variables from my main character's saved game are breaking MCM.

This happens to me as well occasionally.  I simply quit the game, start it back up and the problem goes away.  I've also seen this happen when I change the ordering of my mods, which changes the order in MCM, which seems to cause this (sometimes).

EDIT:  Come to think of it this happens most often when updating mods in the middle of a save.

t3589, I think you are right about the cause.  While I can't exactly pinpoint when the problem started happening since I didn't need to reconfigure the mods often, MCM was working fine for the first ~30 hours of gameplay.  It started malfunctioning sometime after I made a bunch of changes at the same time.  I added the three msex mods (but they don't use MCM and no one else using them has reported a problem like this) and I updated Tryouts.  I also probably moved BR in my load order in an attempt to get the Stalkers feature to work; combat rape was working fine, but my character had never been stalked.

Unfortunately, quitting and restarting the game doesn't work for me.  And it's weird that even my saved games from before I made the changes mentioned above have the problem now.

If I were to edit the .esp's to change the mod settings to what I want, would that work? Or would my saved game just overwrite those settings?

Also, when a mod gets updated, is it safe just to overwrite the old .esp or do people deactivate the mod and make a clean save before using the updated file?

t3589, I think you are right about the cause.  While I can't exactly pinpoint when the problem started happening since I didn't need to reconfigure the mods often, MCM was working fine for the first ~30 hours of gameplay.  It started malfunctioning sometime after I made a bunch of changes at the same time.  I added the three msex mods (but they don't use MCM and no one else using them has reported a problem like this) and I updated Tryouts.  I also probably moved BR in my load order in an attempt to get the Stalkers feature to work; combat rape was working fine, but my character had never been stalked.

Unfortunately, quitting and restarting the game doesn't work for me.  And it's weird that even my saved games from before I made the changes mentioned above have the problem now.

If I were to edit the .esp's to change the mod settings to what I want, would that work? Or would my saved game just overwrite those settings?

Also, when a mod gets updated, is it safe just to overwrite the old .esp or do people deactivate the mod and make a clean save before using the updated file?

Personally, I would prob start a new game.  If I really really wanted to save that save game the next thing down I would prob do is disable mods one by one to see if disabling any of them corrected things.  If it did I'd have a culprit, and could try moving things around in the load order from there.  I find sometimes a save game will get picky all of a sudden about where it expected a mod to be in the load order.

Once I get past a certain point in a save game I don't do any updates, or if I do I leave the other one sitting in my mods folder so I can switch back and forth for different saves.  I might play differently than you so that strategy might not work for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I think I may have solved the problem.  Since the menus for BR and Hookups were so broken, I had given up and started a new game.  Yesterday, I discovered the Type3M Clothing mod by MAK and really wanted to try it.  Against my better judgment, I altered my mod load list to remove the T6M Equipment Replacer .esm and .esp to make a clean save before installing the new mod. 

Load Order

FalloutNV.esm
CaravanPack.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
Primary Needs HUD.esm

T6M Equipment Replacer NV.esm
MikotoBeauty.esm
IWS-Core.esm
Sexout.esm
SexoutCommonResources.esm
SexoutSlavery.esm
SexoutLegion.esm
msexBase.esm
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
IWS-DM.esp
IWS-HH.esp
IWS-OWB.esp
IWS-LR.esp
PMT - Slower Backward Movement.esp
PMT - Rude Awakening.esp
PMT - Reduced Ammo and Chems.esp
PMT - Reduced Caps and Item Value.esp
PMT - Honest Hearts Reduced Ammo.esp
PMT - More Demanding Hardcore.esp
PMT - Reduced World Items MORE DEMANDING HARDCORE.esp
PMT - Tougher economy.esp
PMT - OWB - Reduced Ammo and Items.esp
PMT - OWB - Sonic Emitter Robot Damage Fix.esp
PMT - LR - Better flashbangs.esp
PMT - LR - Crippling Stops Rad Healing.esp
PMT - LR - Decreased Radiation.esp
PMT - LR - Reduced Ammo Food Chems.esp
PMT - LR - Reduced Armor and Weapon Values.esp
PMT - LR - Tweaked Missile Base HQ.esp
Carrying Capacity Increase.esp
Centered 3rd Person Camera - Unraised.esp
pipboyx2.esp
101Billboards.esp
101Posters.esp

T6M Old World Blues Replace.esp
MikotoBeauty.esp
SexoutZAZ.esp
st.esp
SmallerTalk.esp
SexoutFadeToBlack.esp
SexoutBrutalRapers.esp
SexoutHookupsAlt.esp
SexoutSex.esp
SexoutFiends.esp
SexoutKhans.esp
SexoutKings.esp
SexoutNCR.esp
SexoutPowderGangers.esp
SexoutWorkingGirl.esp
msexVeronica.esp
msexFort.esp
msexCourtesan.esp

To my horror, after deleting those files with FOMM, the MCM menus for both BR and Hookups were messed up again.  Restoring the two deleted mods so that all my mods had the same Mod Index that they had originally fixed the problem.  It is beyond coincidence that only these two menus were affected.  Comparing the scripts for SexoutBRapersMCMScript and 57SexoutHookupMCMScript to mods that had no problems (SmallerTalk.esp, Legion.esm) and to the MCM Guide, both BR and Hookups had the same superfluous/legacy code marked in red in the spoilers.

BrutalRapers

Begin GameMode

if (0 != GetGameRestarted)

if (0 != IsModLoaded "The Mod Configuration Menu.esp")

Set iMaster to GetModIndex "The Mod Configuration Menu.esp"

Set rList to BuildRef iMaster 2790

ListAddForm rList 57SexoutBRapersMCMItem

Set iSelf to GetModIndex "SexoutBrutalRapers.esp"

if iSelf == 255

Set iSelf to GetModIndex "SexoutBrutalRapers.esm"

endif

endif

endif

return

End

Begin MenuMode 1013

if (0 == IsModLoaded "The Mod Configuration Menu.esp")

return

endif

if (iSelf == GetUIFloat "StartMenu/MCM/_ActiveMod")

Set iOption to GetUIFloat "StartMenu/MCM/_ActiveOption"

Set fValue to GetUIFloat "StartMenu/MCM/_Value"

Hookups

begin GameMode

if GetGameRestarted

if IsModLoaded "The Mod Configuration Menu.esp"

set iMaster to GetModIndex "The Mod Configuration Menu.esp"

set rList to BuildRef iMaster 2790

ListAddForm rList 57SexoutHookupMCMItem

set iSelf to GetModIndex "SexoutHookups.esm"

if 255 == iSelf

set iSelf to GetModIndex "SexoutHookups.esp"

endif

if 255 == iSelf

set iSelf to GetModIndex "SexoutHookupsAlt.esm"

endif

if 255 == iSelf

set iSelf to GetModIndex "SexoutHookupsAlt.esp"

endif

endif

endif

end

begin MenuMode 1013

if 0 == IsModLoaded "The Mod Configuration Menu.esp"

Return

endif

if GetUIFloat "StartMenu/MCM/_ActiveMod" == iSelf

set iOption to GetUIFloat "StartMenu/MCM/_ActiveOption"

set fValue to GetUIFloat "StartMenu/MCM/_Value"

To make these scripts look more like those that weren't experiencing problems, I deleted the lines in red and changed the variables in blue to

{GetModIndex "ModName.esp"}.  I then deleted the T6M Replacer mods again and found that the MCM menus for BR and Hookups were working perfectly.

I am not a programmer and my total experience using GECK is about 5 hours.  While seemingly unnecessary, it isn't obvious to me that the code I altered should have caused any problems.  Furthermore, except for one other forum citizen and myself, no one else has complained about this problem for these two mods.  However, if these mods ever get updated (I think Jallil is rewriting BR, and I strongly suspect Hookups suffers from the same problem plaguing BR - Stalkers), I hope the authors reconsider the usefulness of the highlighted code.

I'm going to mess around with my mods now and if I don't experience any more problems with the MCM menus in the next 48 hours, I'll consider this topic "Solved".

As far as I can tell in GameTypes.h of the NVSE source, GetModIndex (through a series of pointers) eventually calls the tList member function GetIndexOf().

If it fails in finding the list member using the search criteria given, it returns -1, not 255 (especially considering that 255 is a valid mod index of your save file which is always FF).

template <class Op>
    SInt32 GetIndexOf(Op& op)
    {
        SInt32 idx = 0;
        const _Node* pCur = Head();
        while (pCur && pCur->Item() && !op.Accept(pCur->Item()))
        {
            idx++;
            pCur = pCur->Next();
        }

if (pCur && pCur->Item())
            return idx;
        else
            return -1;
    }

I bet you're right about GetModIndex returning -1 for missing mods, so maybe the code in red above, although obsolete, wasn't the problem:

-in the case of BR, since iSelf should never be equal to 255, the code I deleted should not make a difference.

-in the case of Hookups, I'm not sure how the menu functions properly under the original code since "if GetUIFloat "StartMenu/MCM/_ActiveMod" == iSelf" should be false, causing the 57SexoutHookupMCMScript to end prematurely,  unless "GetUIFloat "StartMenu/MCM/_ActiveMod" also returned -1 :D .

I'm just thinking out loud now, but besides the code in red from my previous post, the other feature that these two mods share that my other MCM mods don't have is the variable iSelf in          

if (iSelf == GetUIFloat "StartMenu/MCM/_ActiveMod")   

iSelf is set when a game is started/loaded the first time after New Vegas is launched (if GetGameRestarted).  I am in the habit of loading a very early save (made just after character creation) before loading my latest saved game to get around the well known "load stalling" problem.  I had previously assumed that 57SexoutHookupMCMScript and SexoutBRapersMCMScript should run within milliseconds of loading a game, but if I loaded again before the scripts ran, both mods would have the same value for iSelf (0).  I don't know where the value for

GetUIFloat "StartMenu/MCM/_ActiveMod"

comes from, but if it matched iSelf, maybe both scripts would be triggered upon selecting either mod in MCM, leading to conflict.  In that case, changing iSelf to GetModIndex "ModName.esp" in the code above was all that was necessary to solve the problem. If I've learned anything from this mess, it's to wait at least 10 seconds after starting/loading a game before saving/loading another game.

In any case, since my last post, I have added new mods and changed the Mod Index of both BR and Hookups several times, and the menus still function (well, the mouse-over tooltips for BR don't display, but I can live with that!).  So I'll consider the problem fixed.

Now, all I need to do is figure out why I can fight 8 mobs simultaneously with the highest graphics settings without any noticable loss in fps, but using my Pipboy results in massive stuttering, and I can be a happy gamer.  :lol:

Archived