Any Interest in a human Taxidermy mod?

Hi LL,

I've been working on this mod for SSE that let's you make taxidermied humans from dead bodies. My original idea was to have two options: a full body taxidermy and a decapitated mounted head. I'm still new to modding and running into trouble with some things. So I'm posting here both to gauge general interest in such a mod and to see if any interested modders with more experience would want to help.

What is working so far:
-The full body taxidermy works well mostly. Using a spell, it will spawn a trophy base and make the body stand on it like a statue. This looks like:

Spoiler

image.png.f3e8b740728ac5e30eb9f110cf6932be.png

-Activating the body let's you store stuff in it. It auto-equips anything that's equip-able.

-The base serves 3 functions, which appear in a menu that you can access by activating it (see pic).

Spoiler

image.png.ed4e01b91911a9551204c654609788cd.png

Delete: deletes the base and returns the body to a normal dead state. Works fine.

Recenter: My intention is to have it so that the player can move the base (via a furniture moving mod like Jaxonz Positioner) and then press this button to have the body recenter on the base. Works mostly fine also

Poses: My intention is to offer a few poses (5 or 6) that can be applied on the body. This needs some work.

What isn't working/I need help with:

-As mentioned, Poses. Certain poses work, but not others.

The method I'm using to freeze the body is EnableAI(false). So to set a pose I am temporarily re-enabling the AI, telling it to do an animation, and then re-disabling the AI.

-The head mount. Haven't developed this idea much. I have a nif for the Wooden Plate part (taken from those in Hearthfire) but I am having trouble orienting the head to an angle that looks realistic. One idea I had was to use an idle to get the head at the right orientation.

My intention was to make the rest of the body invisible by equipping some sort of "make invisible" armor (I think just an empty nif would work? But I haven't tried that yet). Does anyone know if there is a way to work with a decapitated head directly?

I'll put my files here for anyone to check it out. I tried to comment my scripts as much as possible.

To test out the mod yourself, go to the MCM, give yourself the "test spell" and use it on a dead actor.

HumanTaxidermy_WIP.zip

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've actually tinkered with this idea a bit myself, but didn't really have much luck in my endeavours. At least with the full body part. I was essentially trying to create a mannequin out of a *living* actor, so that could have something to do with it.  As for mounting heads, What I do know is the head is its own separate object (head part, literally). I suppose one could make a static object of each race head, but presuming one wants the exact head of whomever lost theirs, this wouldn't work. Any implementation I can think of would very likely run afoul of the dark/grey face bug. 

There is a mod on Nexus (I think) called "Collect Unique Corpses", that allows one to decapitate a corpse. Code of that mod may be worth looking into, for what it's worth. Albeit, I have found this to periodically also run afoul of that same face bug. My modding experience is limited, though I'd be willing to help out with this and improve it.

Main improvement I can think of is not using resurrect in the first place, since I've seen comments that it can add clothes. How would one resurrect  without using the resurrect function? Hilariously.  That's how.  

function Revive(Actor a)
	a.ResetHealthAndLimbs()
	a.SetUnconscious(true)
	Utility.Wait(0.2)
	a.SetUnconscious(false)
	a.ResetHealthAndLimbs()
	a.PushActorAway(a, 0)
EndFunction

You would call that, then wait a few seconds for the ragdolled actor to stand back up, and then add your spell to the actor.

Additional code from "Collect Unique corpses" allows one to dress up corpses, so that segment could be looked at (From what I remember, it uses QueueNiNodeUpdate). Aside from that, your code documentation is pretty solid. 

23 minutes ago, FoxinTale said:

I've actually tinkered with this idea a bit myself, but didn't really have much luck in my endeavours. At least with the full body part. I was essentially trying to create a mannequin out of a *living* actor, so that could have something to do with it.  As for mounting heads, What I do know is the head is its own separate object (head part, literally). I suppose one could make a static object of each race head, but presuming one wants the exact head of whomever lost theirs, this wouldn't work. Any implementation I can think of would very likely run afoul of the dark/grey face bug. 

There is a mod on Nexus (I think) called "Collect Unique Corpses", that allows one to decapitate a corpse. Code of that mod may be worth looking into, for what it's worth. Albeit, I have found this to periodically also run afoul of that same face bug. My modding experience is limited, though I'd be willing to help out with this and improve it.

Main improvement I can think of is not using resurrect in the first place, since I've seen comments that it can add clothes. How would one resurrect  without using the resurrect function? Hilariously.  That's how.  

function Revive(Actor a)
	a.ResetHealthAndLimbs()
	a.SetUnconscious(true)
	Utility.Wait(0.2)
	a.SetUnconscious(false)
	a.ResetHealthAndLimbs()
	a.PushActorAway(a, 0)
EndFunction

You would call that, then wait a few seconds for the ragdolled actor to stand back up, and then add your spell to the actor.

Additional code from "Collect Unique corpses" allows one to dress up corpses, so that segment could be looked at (From what I remember, it uses QueueNiNodeUpdate). Aside from that, your code documentation is pretty solid. 

Thank you. Unfortunately, I gave up on this a good while ago.

Though I think I might want to revisit it when my other mods are more finished.

On 5/24/2021 at 11:08 PM, CorruptGenie said:

Thank you. Unfortunately, I gave up on this a good while ago.

Though I think I might want to revisit it when my other mods are more finished.

No worries. It's good to have multiple ongoing projects, so when one feels burnt out on one, go onto another project and come back sometime later. 

I'll continue playing around with this, and if it's alright with you, release a continued version of it.

2 hours ago, FoxinTale said:

No worries. It's good to have multiple ongoing projects, so when one feels burnt out on one, go onto another project and come back sometime later. 

I'll continue playing around with this, and if it's alright with you, release a continued version of it.

Sure. Feel free to keep me in the loop about progress you make.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...