Mother Earth's Day

Myst42

If you think wind turbines are so good, then explain why Germany is still increasing their use of Coal at the expense of entire villages/cities? Not to mention that wind power is subvented by the governments and not by the energy coperations themselves. Unlike building nuclear power plants in Sweden, which aren't subvented.

They build still new one because of a conservative goverment that is not that enthusiastic about regerativ energies as they should and the influence of lobbyist groups. It is subsidized because the development of these energie sources is disired, as nuclear power was untill now subsidized with over 200 billion € in germany. The big energy coperations stay away from regenerativ energies because it's not convenient for them. They want great facilities but with regenerative sources favor a decentral model with small regional energy providers.

I see the swedish goverment has stoped subventions for nuclear enregy in 2010. And now I bet with you there will be no new built reactors or power plants. They will operate the existing reactors as long as possible and than Sweden has no more nuclear energy.

Note: A 3 MW wind turbine costs between 12 - 15 million SEK with a energy price of 40 Cents per KWh. Without subvents it would take 12 years before it would prove its use. 7 years with subvents.

Note 3: Those 910 € per KW you mention is 8200 SEK. So do the math about how much you had to pay before the wind turbine ecuals the capacity of 1 nuclear reactor.

Of course it will cost a lot of money and not a little. But you have to consider that most of the nuclear power plants are older than 30 years and therefore have to be replaced in the near future. And when you have the option between a new nuclear power plant or regenerative energie sources the latter will be cheaper.

Here an example: In Finland they built since 2003 a EPR reactor at the nuclear power plant Olkiluoto. The reactor has an output of 1600 MW, the costs untill now are 8.5 billion €. For the same amount of money one could built wind turbins that are able to generate a total of 9340 MW per  (only as an simpl example).

Note 2: The price to demolish a nuclear power plant in Sweden is twice of the price if you where to build a new one.

That is a factor which increases the costs and with that the unprofitability even further.

Note 4: How much exactly are those 0.75% of Germany's area when Germany's total area is 357 112 km2?

that would be 2678.34 km2

I'm convinced the future is in Fusion power. We know how Fusion works, we know it has an enormous power output, and its an extremely "green" power source. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, and the waste product is Helium, which is completely harmless. The technology really needs to go into safely controlling the reaction and harnessing its power. I very much have confidence in its achieving fruition someday, barring inhibiting externalities.

Also I think we should start looking at Fission power again. For such small space it's power output is enormous. Not to mention it's an EXTREMELY green energy source. Its waste products include Lead, which has many industrial applications, and Uranium, Neptunium, and Plutonium, which can be (and is in countries like France) recycled and used to produce even MORE power. Here's the dirty little secret: The Government is forcing nuclear companies to contain and bury nuclear "waste." Linky.

I'm convinced the future is in Fusion power. We know how Fusion works, we know it has an enormous power output, and its an extremely "green" power source. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, and the waste product is Helium, which is completely harmless. The technology really needs to go into safely controlling the reaction and harnessing its power. I very much have confidence in its achieving fruition someday, barring inhibiting externalities.

Well it is far to early to say anything on how good we will be able to use the potential. It is all highly experimental and has a long way to go. Today nobody can say if it is possibile with the means we have to sustain a fussion reaction with the means we have. it is also uncertain if is possible to built a reactor that will generate more energy than for it's opration is needed. Well we will know more when they finish ITER and the planed follow up project. But my guess is that will be in ca. 50 years. To get the thechnology (if it is working) ready for wide commercial use it will take even longer.

By all means, continue as you are, Emily, for your cause is a noble one. :)

And yes, Fusion has a long way to go. I just like to throw it out there as an alternative to wind and solar, both of which also have a long way to go. I have no problem with any one source of energy being invested in, but I must stress: It has to be private investment.

Too bad that emily sold heavy duty equipment spare part & hosing for water pumps to support the miner to plunder of mother earth's off excessive her bounty.

The coal! The coal! THE COAL!!!! LOLZ!

We all have our dark sides :P

By all means, continue as you are, Emily, for your cause is a noble one. :)

And yes, Fusion has a long way to go. I just like to throw it out there as an alternative to wind and solar, both of which also have a long way to go. I have no problem with any one source of energy being invested in, but I must stress: It has to be private investment.

Then I have to disappoint you all projects for fusion energy are funded by goverment money. It is still fundamental research and the time when companies also did that are long since gone.

And don't forget solar energy is fusion energy ;)

Is there no one from Russia, China or Japan in this forum?

Or does anybody know what they are doing?

Ive heard a lot of what is said to be the US government research situation, but I think it wouldnt hurt to hear what other high resource and technology countries have to say

Just saying... US is very important perspective but not the only one

Solving crisis need global effort

I would be glad to see all of them them global powers come together in a table to sit and discuss initiatives (and actually making something out of it)

And BTW fusions sounds nice to the date....

The Doc prophesied it in 1989

40-mr_fusion.jpg

krup2.jpg

mr-fusion.jpg

Then I have to disappoint you all projects for fusion energy are funded by goverment money. It is still fundamental research and the time when companies also did that are long since gone.

And don't forget solar energy is fusion energy ;)

Then that's a problem. Any research that would be put into fusion is being squandered by government inefficiencies and bureaucracy. I wonder how long it would take to develop at least a working prototype fusion reactor if a company published a contest. I mean we got a 100 mpg car out of a contest.

Yes, solar energy is fusion energy because that's how stars work. If only we could enclose stars like Justin Beiber and Kim Kardashian in Dyson Spheres we could meet the Earth's energy demands for millenia to come.  :P

So this is interesting. Apparently a Nuclear Fusion project dubbed Iter is looking to receive huge amounts of funding from sources that are at least somewhat implied to be government sources. The timeline at the bottom of the article alone should tell you what the problem is: The first commercial fusion plants are expected to come into operation in the 2050s. In other words, goddamnit.

That's the point of my previous posts and even this date is highly uncertain since it is all experimental so i can work or not.

And it has nothing to do that it is funded by goverment money it is simply fundamental research taht takes it time and where it is uncertain if the outcome is of any further use.

I REALLY don't buy that it's just the nature of technology. Sure unknown technology yet to be invented is a barrier, but we know how fusion reactions work, and I am willing to wager if some company was willing to give a high enough prize, we would have fully functioning Fusion reactors within two or three years.

I REALLY don't buy that it's just the nature of technology. Sure unknown technology yet to be invented is a barrier, but we know how fusion reactions work, and I am willing to wager if some company was willing to give a high enough prize, we would have fully functioning Fusion reactors within two or three years.

Shows how much you know about Fusion Power then. 

Shows how much you know about Fusion Power then. 

Indeed. Knowing how a thing works dosen't automatically enable us to imitate nature under the conditions we want. This is entire new terrain, so nobody has any practical knowlege, there are now production facility for the needed compounds so a lot of handcraft is needed. And so it simply takes time to realise such an project.

And you will find no company that is willing to invest such tremendous amounts of money in a project where it is totaly uncertain whether they will earn a cent with it. Fusion power is  still in a prove of concept stage. Can work or not.

talking about energy  what is the only ressorce that we have without limit   without making too much bad consequences and that nasa is using to go to space with      water of cours  but the probleme is it is free             explosive but free !

• 2 weeks later...

Archived