Minuteman General's outfit obscures vision in sneak mode

I recently obtained the Minuteman General's outfit from the dead general in the Castle. After equipping it, if I go into sneak mode my field of view is obscured, either completely by flesh color background with a darker section in the middle, or with a similar color covering the left half of the screen. Unequipping the outfit restores full sight.

Has anyone ever seen anything like that?

I've searched for bugs and found that the night vision perk and one other (can't remember the name at the moment) can cause blurred vision, but that doesn't seem to describe my problem, and using the console commands to remove those two effects don't fix my problem.

In case it helps, here's my mod list (i.e. the left had pane in MO2), listed in reverse order because that's the way MO2 does it:

Spoiler

# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.
+My AAF Customizations
+BodySlide Output
+Mod Settings
+Staged Leito Plus Erection Fix
+Ultimate AAF Patch
+BP70 Fallout 4 Sex Animations 2.3
+SavageCabbages Animation Pack
+Mutated Lust v1.3
+Atomic Lust
+Release_CreaturePackDLC_v01
+Release_CreaturePack_v03_01
+Four-Play Animations by Crazy 1.3
+Vadermania[AAF]
+FO4_AnimationsByLeito_v2.0a
+FARELLE_ANIM_MOD_DEV_0.1.2
+Release_50Shades_v01_05
+Release_BadEnd_v01_05
+Vioxsis' Strap-On's of Fallout 4
+TortureDevices
+AAF VanillaKinkyCreatures Sex Animation Themes
+Advanced Animation Framework
-Animations_separator
+AAF_Vanilla_Fudge_V1.6.2.1
+AAF Violate Purgatory
+AAF Violate
+AAF_SEU_V1.04
-LL Mods_separator
+Canary Save File Monitor
+Scrap Everything
+Global Stash (Connect all Workshops and Workbenches) by SKK
+Better Weapon Scrap
+Extra Meat Fix
+Legendary Modification
+No Health Level Scaling - or request customised formula
+Insignificant Object Remover
+Loot Detector (ESL)
+Brawl Bug Fix
+New Magazines(Frost)
+IMVR - Nuka World (Default)
+IMVM - Far Harbor (Default)
+Improved Map with Visible Roads
+Move (Get Out the Way)
+Better Explosives
+AWKCR Crafting Patch for Power Armor Carry Capacity-3258-1-4b
+Wearable Backpacks and Pouches - 1.4b
+Cheat Terminal
+Rad-Ban Eyewear Inc. - Valdacil's Item Sorting - Compatibility Patch
+Rad-Ban Eyewear Inc
+FallUI Workbench-49300-1-0-4-1610328307
-FallUI Workbench-49300-1-0-3-1610279115
-FallUI Workbench
+Realistic Ragdoll Force
+Vendor Caps
+Yatz UI Presets for DEF_HUD (YUP)
+Easy Hacking
+Longer Power Lines
+Start Me Up - Alternate Start and Dialogue Overhaul
+Sim Settlements - Three In One
+Companion Fall Damage Immunity
+EBF UFO4P compatibility fix
+Everyone's Best Friend (Dogmeat and Companion At Same Time - No Console - No Hack)
+One Minutemen Radiant Quest At A Time
+Professional Ammo Crafting
+AWKCR Crafting Patch
+Wearable Backpacks and Pouches
+Valdacil's Item Sorting
+Armorsmith Extended v4.6
+Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource (AWKCR)
-Nexus Mods_separator
+DEF_UI Compatibility Patch
+FallUI - Inventory Interface For PC (Pipboy Container Trader)
+Better Sleep and Wait Menu
+DEF_UI
+HoloTime - HUD Clock Widget
+HUDFramework
+Release_NSFWsoundpack_03_01
+Better Console - F4SE
+Extended Dialogue Interface
-Value per Weight indicator for container UI
+Satellite World Map
-UI_separator
+Femshepping's Uniform Eyes
+Collection of textures and presets for the girls
+deLuxe Makeup
+Valkyr Female Face and Body Textures
+WX Hair Colors
+femshepping and radbeetle's KS Hairdos Short Medium Length and Updo Conversions w Physics
+femshepping's 2021 Female Character Presets
-Character Appearance_separator
+Baka ScrapHeap - Script Memory Limit Expander
+Mod Configuration Menu
+Address Library for F4SE Plugins
+Buffout 4
+ZaZ -Extended-Skeleton (ZeX)
+MTM OCBP Physics Preset Natural
+OCBPC Physics
+FusionGirl
+BodyTalk
+LooksMenu
+BodySlide and Outfit Studio
+Achievements v1-0-5
+F4SE Scripts
-Utilities_separator
+Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch
-Patches_separator
*DLC: Automatron
*DLC: Contraptions Workshop
*DLC: Far Harbor
*DLC: Nuka-World
*DLC: Vault-Tec Workshop
*DLC: Wasteland Workshop

Can you post a pic? Is it only in 1st person? Check the clothing in FO4edit for changes from vanilla like added object effect or anything. Though this might be a scripted issue.

I've installed Fo4Edit, but I don't know what I'm doing with it. The only mods changing The Minutemen General's Uniform are ArmorKeywords.esm and Armorsmith Extended.esp.

Both of those mods have the same Object Effect as Fallout4.esm, which is EnchClothingCharisma.

Is there something else I should look for?  And by the way, thanks for trying to help.

55 minutes ago, PubliusNV said:

I've installed Fo4Edit, but I don't know what I'm doing with it. The only mods changing The Minutemen General's Uniform are ArmorKeywords.esm and Armorsmith Extended.esp.

Both of those mods have the same Object Effect as Fallout4.esm, which is EnchClothingCharisma.

Is there something else I should look for?  And by the way, thanks for trying to help.

If it only happens in first person I'm gonna assume something is fucked with the first person mesh of the outfit (different from the 3rd person mesh). Looks like a giant nipple stretched out to the gates of oblivion. Anyway it's doesn't look to be an object effect, imod, & likely not a script issue with what I glanced over with your load order.

Look to see if you are overwriting the vanilla 1st person mesh Armor\Minuteman\FOutfit1stperson.nif (or M if male char) and disable it so it uses the vanilla one. Only other thing I can think of might be the hat (which I think is separate and you didn't mention an issue with) or the gloves it automatically equips when you wear the general outfit which I think are Preston's if either of them have a 1st person mesh being overwritten.

13 minutes ago, PubliusNV said:

If I use MO2 to view the virtual data folder I can only find FOutfit.nif and FOutfit.tri in Fallout4\data\Meshes\Armor\Minuteman. Is that the right place to look?

Should be the right place, but FOutfit.nif is the 3rd person model and should* not be the culprit. You can disable them in MO2 change the .nif to .mohidden and test in game to see. IDK what body replacer you are using but if it uses a .BA2 archive the model could be in there instead of a loose file.

You could also try this in FO4edit type in this form ID 001c2214

Look under models and see if there are changes from vanilla.

Should only be AA_MinutemanGeneral [ARMA:001C2213] & AAPrestonGloves [ARMA:000316C7] and they should not be overwritten

CTRL click the 1st (not the gloves) and go down to look at female 1st person

Now go to the top where it says FO4 in the right pane & copy the entire entry as an override into a new patch

Name it whatever and delete the 1st person nif model entry and see if the issue goes away or just swap the entry to the male/female version opposite your char

just change the M or F to be vice versa

This is what the models look like in FO4Edit

image.png.324c07e533149cbc3daa8c5d22215459.png

where the first column is Fallout4.esm and the second Armorsmith Extended.esp.

Since I don't see any loose files in the Armorsmith Extended mod, I assume that FOutfit1sperson.nif is in one of the ba2 files.

Anyway, attempting to do what you described, but fumbling my way through it since I've never messed with FO4Edit before, I (1) right clicked on the Fallout4.esm header and (2) copied the entry as an override into a new patch I named My Patch. My Patch was created as a new esp file at the bottom of the load order. I use FO4Edit again to edit My Patch and renamed FOutfit1stperson.nif to Moutfit1stperson.nif. I then restarted the game, equipped the outfit, went into sneak mode, and got the same view I posted above.

Did I do it right? Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

1 hour ago, PubliusNV said:

Forgot to include this, this is how the entry looked after I changed it, the third column is from the My Patch mod.

image.png.7a37b4864df1f361b4432d9d1233cbb6.png

Yes that should force it to use the male 1st person instead of the female 1st person (if the female version is borked). Or you can right click in that field & just delete that entry so it's empty and using nothing. One of those should fix the issue if it indeed a problem with the 1st person mesh. If not I generally have no idea what is happening unfortunately outside maybe try a 'skimpy' version from clothing replacer.

On 2/12/2021 at 11:30 PM, PubliusNV said:

Has anyone ever seen anything like that?

IF you're not using a mod that replaces the outfit, easy way to check is open F04Edit and just click Ok.. which will load all active mods. Then look at the generals outift to see if any mod/s edits it.

If you do find one, disable it and verify it's the culprit.

If no mods are messing with it, then delete or rename Fallout4 - Meshes.ba2 and then verify files through Steam, which will download a clean copy of Fallout4 - Meshes.ba2. It's not unheard of for game files to become corrupt.

Since FO4Edit shows that only Fallout4.esm and Armorsmith Extended.esp mention the Minuteman General's armor, I installed a BSA browser and found that while Fallout4.ba2 contains an FOutfit1stperson.nif, Armorsmith Extended.ba2 does not. So as far as I can tell there is nothing overriding the FOutfit1stperson.nif from the base game. Just to make sure, and assuming that loose files will override files from the ba2 (like they do in Skyrim) I extracted FOutfit1stperson.nif and MOutfit1stperson.nif from the Fallout4.ba2 and placed them in an otherwise empty MO2 mod at the end of my load order, to make them override any other mod that might contain them.

No luck, same result in game. I tried it with and without the My Patch.esp I created (see earlier post) so as to use first FOutfit1stperson.nif and then MOutfit1stperson.nif, and both behaved the same.

I then installed Nifscope to take a look at the nif files, and both the male and female variants look like this:

image.png.2dfbf1047c1109fb2de301419a42d51c.png

which as far as I know looks ok.

I told Steam to validate files and all files validated ok.

I'm stumped. Thanks for all your help, though.

• 2 months later...
On 14/2/2021 at 14:43, PubliusNV said:

Dado que FO4Edit muestra que solo Fallout4.esm y Armorsmith Extended.esp mencionan la armadura del Minuteman General, instalé un navegador BSA y descubrí que mientras Fallout4.ba2 contiene un FOutfit1stperson.nif, Armorsmith Extended.ba2 no. Por lo que puedo decir, no hay nada que anule el FOutfit1stperson.nif del juego base. Solo para asegurarme, y asumiendo que los archivos sueltos anularán los archivos de ba2 (como lo hacen en Skyrim), extraje FOutfit1stperson.nif y MOutfit1stperson.nif de Fallout4.ba2 y los coloqué en un mod MO2 que de otro modo estaría vacío al final de mi orden de carga, para que anulen cualquier otro mod que pueda contenerlos.

Sin suerte, el mismo resultado en el juego. Lo probé con y sin My Patch.esp que creé (ver publicación anterior) para usar primero FOutfit1stperson.nif y luego MOutfit1stperson.nif, y ambos se comportaron de la misma manera.

Luego instalé Nifscope para echar un vistazo a los archivos nif, y las variantes masculina y femenina se ven así:

image.png.2dfbf1047c1109fb2de301419a42d51c.png

que hasta donde yo sé se ve bien.

Le dije a Steam que validara los archivos y todos los archivos validados correctamente.

Estoy perplejo. Sin embargo, gracias por toda tu ayuda.

You still haven't found a solution, the same thing happens to me and I don't know how to solve it