How do I create an NPC using ECE?

I've been trying to figure out for quite some time now how to create a follower NPC using ECE - specifically, how to copy a face I created ingame into the Creation Kit. When I try the normal spf console command method and import the .npc file, the face somehow resets to a vanilla shape - like it's unable to load the .tri files or something.

This happens when I have EnhancedCharacterEdit.esp and/or CharacterMakingExtender.esp as active files. I can't even access the additional sliders in the Creation Kit, so recreating the face from scratch is also impossible (which I would prefer not to do, since I want exactly the face I created ingame).

I pretty sure that it must be possible to do this somehow, as I have seen lots of images from people with followers that have faces created with ECE, so any information would be much appreciated.

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this question btw, it just seemed a more logical place than the others.

Hi Dagimpyman,

I've made followers that use the same face data as my ECE v0.86-based characters. It's just a matter of using the same assets (tri files) as the race. CME-based NPCs seem to be made slightly differently, though. Here are some instructions from the ECE mod page:

Q. Apply face data made by additional sliders to the NPC.

You can import to NPC face morph.
※ Body sliders, hair and colors cannot be applied.

First, make face you want to transport in showracemenu.
This is saved in NoseType32.
Load and save as Skyrim.esm in CK. (example:Lydia.esp)
Check this esp, CharacterMakingExtender.esp and hair esp(esm) If you use, active only made a esp and then load files.
Select the actor you want to change, click the Reset All button and then select NoseType32 in the Character Gen tab.
Edit the hair and makeup in Chargen Parts tab. Click the OK after editing.
You output selected the actor to mesh with Ctrl + F4. Save temporarily.
If you don't need master file to CharacterMakingExtender.esp, push the Ctrl + Delete deregistrate master in File->Data window->Parent Masters and then load and save.

I'm not sure how your character's face data is stored in NoseType32. Give it a try, though. :P

Oh wow...it does say it right in the mod description. I feel dumb :blush:

Thank you for pointing this out to me, BSnake. I should be able to figure it out now.

Edit: Worked out splendidly, took me only about ten minutes. I can't believe it was so easy....Thanks again.

meWNT1s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm also having some issues trying to get this working properly...

I've managed to get my desired face morph onto an npc,but it just copies whichever player face I'm using at the time :(

How do I get my custom npc to stick with the face morph I imported initially?

I tried making another,but that one has all the inventory items/outfit but just a default template face.

I've had to use Lunari race as all the other races have two sets of eyes superimposed over the top of each other in the showracemenu - I removed all conflicting addons but something else is messing it up.

:(

• 2 months later...

I'm still having some troubles with this, nosetype32 just puts a default face on the character, doesn't matter if I import a face or not, and it is a regular vanilla face in game as well.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I create a test character in game

Load the ck with skyrim.esm, update.esm, apachiihair, charactermakingextender.esp, and have tried enhancedcharactereditor both activated and deactivated with the same result.

• 1 month later...

I'm still having some troubles with this, nosetype32 just puts a default face on the character, doesn't matter if I import a face or not, and it is a regular vanilla face in game as well.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I create a test character in game

Load the ck with skyrim.esm, update.esm, apachiihair, charactermakingextender.esp, and have tried enhancedcharactereditor both activated and deactivated with the same result.

you have to load ECE meshes for ur npc...

tough i have another question...i don't have SKSE or ece installed and the eps loads fine in CK,but the face won't work properly...and also ihave a .slot file...that i don'tknow how to use...

I have the same problem with importing the CME facegen to Monli Lydia.  I followed the instructions to the letter, but for some reason the new face just will not load and she ends up with a Monli preset.  Only when I use "setrace Monli" did the new face appear on her, albiet slightly different, however, actions such as changing cells or fast traveling will cause her face to return to the original preset.

I guess results are either hit or miss and some people are just lucky.

@Lux77

I'm guessing you only have Character Making Extender.  CK will only use the original sliders and the results will be as if you don't have custom face morphs installed.   

The slot file is the CME data containing your pc's custom appearance.  This contains the face morphs, tints, hair, and body morphs.  You use it to transfer the appearance of your pc to another pc or regain that appearance if you happen to edit her and later change your mind. 

When using showracemenu, go to the Body option, scroll down and you will see a slider named SLOTS.  You pick the slot # that stores the data you saved when creating your character.

I have the same problem with importing the CME facegen to Monli Lydia.  I followed the instructions to the letter, but for some reason the new face just will not load and she ends up with a Monli preset.  Only when I use "setrace Monli" did the new face appear on her, albiet slightly different, however, actions such as changing cells or fast traveling will cause her face to return to the original preset.

I guess results are either hit or miss and some people are just lucky.

@Lux77

I'm guessing you only have Character Making Extender.  CK will only use the original sliders and the results will be as if you don't have custom face morphs installed.   

The slot file is the CME data containing your pc's custom appearance.  This contains the face morphs, tints, hair, and body morphs.  You use it to transfer the appearance of your pc to another pc or regain that appearance if you happen to edit her and later change your mind. 

When using showracemenu, go to the Body option, scroll down and you will see a slider named SLOTS.  You pick the slot # that stores the data you saved when creating your character.

?? nope i don't use CME i 'm trying to make a follower someone lent me from they CME and npc file..but it doesn't work...even with that nose32 thing...

Archived