:/ doin an energy weapon playthrough in 2, can I get ANY energy weapons before reno?

Dude500X

all in the title really, going for a scientific energy weapon build, easy to do in 1 but never tried it in 2, now, i know can get laser pistols in reno.. but.. yeah, thats awhile into the game.

Well, as far as I know you can't obtain an energy weapon through normal play until New Reno *unless* you get lucky with a random encounter that has one (and let's face it, if you find such a random encounter, the enemy having energy weapons could make it pretty tough to win). Most people who want to do an "energy weapons playthrough" will start with small guns and swap to energy weapons upon arrival in New Reno. That's pretty much the way the game designers planned it with Energy Weapons being available as mid to end game weapons.

EDIT: Oh and ammo for any energy weapon you found would be pretty rare until New Reno as well.

Keep in mind that you do have the Here and Now perk (Level 10) that allows you to level up twice. You can waste a perk but it can allow you a nice boost with energy weapons because you can double the points quickly.

Don't forget the Vigilant Recycler on level 6 for more drained energy ammunition and recycling recipes. helps with low level access to adaquate ammo. At least enought for the higher level bosses. Save the energy weapons for dificult NPC. Use regular guns or shotgun for dogs geckos low level characthers etc.

I have added a lot of points to Intellegence in the begining of the game and was weak when the characters are weak. Adding Intense Training for most of the low level Perks until later. using the above as well as Educated.The intense training allows you to build the character in areas that you will need later development. 

When you are on level 10 you have been able to have as many as 12 extra points to build guns, or energy weapons. On a energy weapons playthrough I strongly advise you not to exceed 45 on guns. You shouldn't need it. Start dumping points that you get (extra from the intelligence bonus and educated bonus) into energy weapons until at least 45 or above before 10.

Many of the energy weapon perks start at high levels of the game. If you build up most/all your points up and use the added points of intelligence bonus and educated bonus you will be at a higher level mid way through game. Hold off on the DLC's until level 25 or so. (energy weapons at least 70 -85) and have built some other skills that you have/think you will need.  Often medicine, Repair, Science and Explosive are what I used with an energy playthrough. Explosive is used for plasma greanades. Science, for computers to get into things instead of lockpick, Medicine to help your character heal, and Repair, well duh to repair and use the recipies. If possible iimprove the recipies with perks as allowed.

By level 15-18 you would be where you should be if you were using guns instead. A little slower start but in the end with gatling guns and plasma guns more devistating damage can be delt. Makes up for the slower build up.

If you are using project nevada you can change the perks for every level if you want it eaiser. Helps build up those perks you feel you must have that are being skipped for intense training. This case I use the odd for intense training and the even for regular perks I need.

When you have most or all the perks needed and need to select another perk always choose anyting that increases criticals. Nothing beats a plasma melt down.

Hope that helps.

Keep in mind that you do have the Here and Now perk (Level 10) that allows you to level up twice. You can waste a perk but it can allow you a nice boost with energy weapons because you can double the points quickly.

Don't forget the Vigilant Recycler on level 6 for more drained energy ammunition and recycling recipes. helps with low level access to adaquate ammo. At least enought for the higher level bosses. Save the energy weapons for dificult NPC. Use regular guns or shotgun for dogs geckos low level characthers etc.

I have added a lot of points to Intellegence in the begining of the game and was weak when the characters are weak. Adding Intense Training for most of the low level Perks until later. using the above as well as Educated.The intense training allows you to build the character in areas that you will need later development. 

When you are on level 10 you have been able to have as many as 12 extra points to build guns, or energy weapons. On a energy weapons playthrough I strongly advise you not to exceed 45 on guns. You shouldn't need it. Start dumping points that you get (extra from the intelligence bonus and educated bonus) into energy weapons until at least 45 or above before 10.

Many of the energy weapon perks start at high levels of the game. If you build up most/all your points up and use the added points of intelligence bonus and educated bonus you will be at a higher level mid way through game. Hold off on the DLC's until level 25 or so. (energy weapons at least 70 -85) and have built some other skills that you have/think you will need.  Often medicine, Repair, Science and Explosive are what I used with an energy playthrough. Explosive is used for plasma greanades. Science, for computers to get into things instead of lockpick, Medicine to help your character heal, and Repair, well duh to repair and use the recipies. If possible iimprove the recipies with perks as allowed.

By level 15-18 you would be where you should be if you were using guns instead. A little slower start but in the end with gatling guns and plasma guns more devistating damage can be delt. Makes up for the slower build up.

If you are using project nevada you can change the perks for every level if you want it eaiser. Helps build up those perks you feel you must have that are being skipped for intense training. This case I use the odd for intense training and the even for regular perks I need.

When you have most or all the perks needed and need to select another perk always choose anyting that increases criticals. Nothing beats a plasma melt down.

Hope that helps.

:rolleyes: lol bro I think you got the games confused :P

Hell, I'M confused. What's this talk of "New Reno"?

New Reno is like this bestest, bestest place you could ever conjure up in your mind. Think "what New Vegas should have been." No, that's not good enough.  Like, think "uber awesome + heaven" and then multiply that by infinity, and you'll be somewhere near the decimal point of how sweet New Reno is.  :lol:

Only for Fallout 2 though. 

New Reno is like this bestest, bestest place you could ever conjure up in your mind. Think "what New Vegas should have been." No, that's not good enough.  Like, think "uber awesome + heaven" and then multiply that by infinity, and you'll be somewhere near the decimal point of how sweet New Reno is.  :lol:

Its also a place where you can rent your spouse to be a fluffer for 3 caps

Its also a place where you can rent your spouse to be a fluffer for 3 caps

And any number of other worldly sins...  

Hope that helps.

:rolleyes: lol bro I think you got the games confused :P

Yes sorry. I am so red faced. For some reason I though you were talking for FNV. Can't figure out why now after re-reading it. So very sorry.

No excuse. I wasn't tired, reading other post or distracted in any way. Just for some reason when I read the first post Fallout 2 just wouldn't register.

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Hiho,

it has been awhile since my last Falliout 2 playthrough, but:

Wasn´t there this Gecko Cave, where you had to rescue the husband of someone in Klamath at the very beginning of the game?

There was this seemingly un-unlockable door. You basically need to get an electronic lockpick to get through and some AP ammo to kill two robots.

There is a lot of cool stuff down there, but I don´t remember exactly what it was. (There was a Combat Armor MK2 among the stuff.)

So basically, if you know where to get an electronic lockpick, I would start searching there.

Yeah, and the Combat Armor Mk2 gave Sulik a fair chance to not get snuffed by stray bullets when you actually fired the damn thing, which was meant to be "the ultimate sniper weapon". Damn, I wished I could remember where to get the elockpick. (I played it 10 years ago and I just remeber playing Super-Chosen-One traveling to San Fran to get the lockpick to get some gear at the beginning.)

Btw. Did someone manage to actually fix the Highwayman?

Archived