Pistol-Focused FPS's?

Nonsense667

I love guns. Love assault rifles, sniper rifles, heavy/light machine guns, rocket launchers, they are all great, and fun, and playing a game like Battlefield 3 with a full military arsenal is just a grand ol' time. 

But.

I fucking love pistols. Something about them is just so great to use, compared to the rest. In a lot of fps's campaigns, they'll start you off with an assault rifle and a pistol, and you of course can switch out for two primaries as soon as you can. Usually, I prefer to keep the pistol in my secondary, sometimes actually carrying two pistols, and no rifle. Some games give pistols more love than others, like say, both COD and Battlefield give the player a decent amount of pistol options. But some give you very little. But I want more! I still say, one of my favorite games is The Darkness.

[spoiler=Off-topic rambling about The Darkness]I haven't played the second, but damn, was the first polished, I mean, I played it on the 360, and when you depressed the triggers, your finger would depress in game, exactly the amount that you did on the controller. You could walk up behind someone, and SEE the tension, as you slowly pulled the trigger, only taking one more little movement to fire. Not to mention, you could even walk up to a wall, and your character would raise up his guns, just like you really would if you were up against a wall. And I loved how the gun-system in the game worked. Sure, you eventually got an assault rifle, some smgs, and a shotgun, but the main weapons were pistols, sexy sexy pistols. There were a good variety, with revolvers as well, and you simply collected MOAR pistols. You never reloaded. It was god damn bad ass. You simply fired until you were out, and then tossed that pistol aside and grabbed another. I've never seen another game do anything close to how perfect and action-movie-like The Darkness made the pistol action feel.

Even though I love The Darkness's action movie style of pistol use, I'm not saying I don't like more realistic styles either. I just want another game that is pistol focused! Maybe, the occasional shotgun. A rare submachine gun, and VERY rarely, perfectly optional, an assault rifle or other military weaponry. But the main weapons you are using, to remain pistols, for the entirety of the game. And I don't mean some third person action game where there are... two options only or something. I want that variety! All sorts of pistols! Dual wielding too. Heh, I feel like I'm just rambling at this point, so I'll just post a TL;DR.

Does anyone else know of, or want, a game that casts aside all of the heavy military weaponry, and simply has a large selection of pistols to use for the combat?

Oh, another that is pretty good, is S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, with the mod "Super mod pack" installed. Shame it's pretty much dead and they never released the new version. Pretty good amount of pistols with that mod installed. Though I wish you could equip a pistol to your primary slot as well. 

==================

List of games that allow a decent amount of pistol based fun:

The Darkness

COD games

Battlefield 3

Borderlands 1 & 2

Modded S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (And unmodded, to a certain point.)

Saint's Row 2 & 3

Borderlands/Borderlands 2 are FPS-style, and much of the weapons are varied and plentiful. Even pistols. Since these games are single player and co-op, you'll have plenty of targets to blast away at, and the Gunzerker class in BL2 lets you wield two weapons at once, so dual pistols are quite possible.

A couple warnings, though.....these games are made with Co-Op play in mind; you'll find yourself swamped with targets at times if you try to rush through the missions, and some can be quite long. There are also times when you can't quit the game before you finish missions, since any return might put you back to the last travel station, and not to the point where you signed off at.

Survival-wise, it all depends on your style of play and using the terrain and objects for cover. But if you really hate dying (and losing money) because you just can't seem to keep yourself alive more than 5 minutes, there are several trainers, save editors, and even .ini file tutorials all over the web that could be used to 'smooth out' your gameplay.

Like BL/BL2 so much, I had to make a Sig... :cool:

Oh yeah, of course! LOVED the first borderlands, and it's pistols... BUT, just the revolvers. The basic repeater pistols in Borderlands just felt weak to me for the most part. :\ Played the shit out of it with my little sister, hah. And yeah, I'm not too worried about dying and loosing my money. I'm more of a "CHARGE! KILL THEM ALL AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHA" Type player. XD Sometimes. Except for when I'm not. 

I certainly need to try out 2 someday.

I'd say Uncharted does real good with its pistols.

Or if you don't have a PS3 and since you said you liked STALKER I recommend Metro 2033

And I quite like the pistols in Saints row 2 and 3 (never played no. 1)so there's another option for you..

I'd say Uncharted does real good with its pistols.

Or if you don't have a PS3 and since you said you liked STALKER I recommend Metro 2033

And I quite like the pistols in Saints row 2 and 3 (never played no. 1)so there's another option for you..

Hmm, love the pistol in Metro, hell, I LOVE Metro in total. But then again, it's just the one pistol, which does upgrade, albeit awesomely, to more of a rifle. 

And Saints row 2, yes, great options. Saints row 3... sure. Yeah. The pistols are pretty good. Not overall as good as 2 thought. AND THAT CERTAINLY DOESN'T REDEEM IT FROM MY LIST OF RAGE... off topic though. >.>

And no, no ps3. T_T

Archived