More pale skin mod ? - Help - Dark Face texture - .DDS Edit

So, in fallout there really is no "pale" skin texture- I thought I could make my own. However, whenever I edit the .DDS file and go back in game it ends up with the rusted/dark face texture. So somewhere along the lines some textures are conflicting and I have no idea where.

I've edited the body texture (8k realistic skin tex CBBE) to be lighter- it worked the first time, no issue - saved and loaded into the game and it was there - boom done. However... the face is giving me non stop issues- So I loaded in Valkyr Face text 1k fair skin and checked it in game- it works- boom no issues..

Then I'll go into paint.net Edit the basefemalehead_d_.dds texture, and make it a litttle brighter to match the previously edited skin texture- save as BC7 ( Linear , Dx 11+ ) in PAINT.NET tool.... Then fire up MO/ start the game and boom, face texture is rusted/dark. - yet between doing the body edit and face edit I Used the exact same steps and it worked on editing the body with zero issues.

So im really wondering, why would just editing the face text slightly more pale create SUCH  issues within the game- I dont get it, im not changing the resolution size and I believe Bc7 is the correct saving method ? So what Am i doing wrong here ? I really have no idea why it would work on the first try for altering the body but fail constantly on the face.

EDIT : UPDATE

Disableing Lookes menu Custom comp will make the face texture work- but lose all eyebrows and the stuff that LMCC adds to the face- I suspected this might be the issue and it was- So my question is now, why would changing the face in paint.net tools have such a effect ? Its gotta be compression ? It cant be resolution right?... But forsure its a conflict between LMCC and whatever edit im doing in PAINT.NET when i make the face paler.... So what would that issue be that it LMCC works fine with the face mod- But when making my edits borks the entire thing ?

On 6/30/2020 at 11:40 PM, NiaticLabs said:

So, in fallout there really is no "pale" skin texture- I thought I could make my own. However, whenever I edit the .DDS file and go back in game it ends up with the rusted/dark face texture. So somewhere along the lines some textures are conflicting and I have no idea where.

I had the brown/black face bug and fixed it with this method:

data/f4se/plugins/f4ee.ini  (belongs to looksmenu)

Change:

uTintWidth=

uTintHeight=

Set both to 4096.

or maybe 8192 since you use an 8k Skin. 

I don't know if this will fix your issue since sometimes some mod textures behave strange. Which can mean that you have to figure out which mod causes the issue. Lets say you found the face texture mod that causes the issue and remove it, try to find an older or newer version of it. Example: I had an older version of THBrows, then I got the newest one and it now works.

Edit:

I tested the 8192 face values myself. Issue is that this really hits performance. Maybe if you could adjust that for unique player only... SO the NPC have a 4k texture and your character has 8K.

btw did it help in the first place?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 12:27 PM, ZI0MATRIX said:

Nada- Body skin is working fine.. No issues at all..

I've gone thru and updated/reinstalled all the facemods(brows,eyes,tats) and that stuff to make sure its up to date. Started it, confirmed it was working- Then did my adjustment again and still ended up with the same result. Im starting to believe that when compressing the file I might be using the wrong compression option ? or saving as the wrong type ? Im not honestly 100% sure, im pretty new to editing .dds files in this manner...

It is however, very possible I need to go thru like you said and readjust textures size that after doing the edits. Probalyl would need to go thru all mods that adjust parts of the face and double check them to see if the resolution from the facemods are/is compatible with what was changed.... likely, this is the issue: and laying two different sized texture is causing them to cancel out and not appear.... I cannot say for certain- But im starting to believe something is getting lost in translation and causing the texture files to be imcompatable- Which would then mean digging thru all the face layer mods until i can find where the issues is- but that's honestly beyond me in skill / time... Gonna keep poking at it here and there; but man i cannot figure it out.

I got new information on that issue.

Besides from the f4ee.ini issue (what loooksmenu is able to handle) there is something else.

Fallout 4 doesn't like it when the textures you slap on the face are of different resolutions.

This includes textures like the normal and specular map, and for some reason the specular map has as default a lower resolution than the other textures(thus even vanilla games can have this bug.)

What does this mean for us?

You have to check mods that ad textures to the face.

This includes various "clean face" ,"no wrinkle" , eye brows(lashes), face tattoos, face overlays and makeup,... mods.

I don't believe that eye textures them self are a part of this.

decide for what resolution you go. 1k 2k 4k... and only install stuff that fits into your... let's say 2k standard.