Windows 7 just hangs on Shutdown

Rokabur

Not sure why but it's only about every 3-4 days (I'm on my PC a few hours in the morning and for longer in the afternoon and evening, so I turn it off twice a day) when I turn off my PC that it just ends up hanging. Every other time it turns off in under 5 seconds but then when I turn off my PC, once it gets to the screen with Windows 7 Home at the bottom, it just hangs and I eventually have to hold the Power button to turn it off after waiting around a minute before I lose my patience.

there are about 2 million threads about problems with windows 7. and there are just as many guesses why this is so and solutions. windows 7 is a dying operating system, do a free upgrade to windows 10.

it is really not worth to search for the error. this can have many causes. bios version outdated, hardware errors, virus ..............................................

11 hours ago, Vincenza said:

there are about 2 million threads about problems with windows 7. and there are just as many guesses why this is so and solutions. windows 7 is a dying operating system, do a free upgrade to windows 10.

it is really not worth to search for the error. this can have many causes. bios version outdated, hardware errors, virus ..............................................

Windows Vista is better then Windows 10. I refuse to use 10 after what Microsoft pulled 5 years ago.

i understand you, i don't like windows 10 either. but windows 7 hasn't been officially supported since january of this year. this could be a reason why your computer doesn't work properly.

windows 7 does not get security updates from microsoft anymore. i personally would not like that.

2 hours ago, Vincenza said:

i understand you, i don't like windows 10 either. but windows 7 hasn't been officially supported since january of this year. this could be a reason why your computer doesn't work properly.

windows 7 does not get security updates from microsoft anymore. i personally would not like that.

Haven't used windows update in like a year. Only been like the past 2 weeks that this started. Don't even see the need for Windows 10 baring a few programs that are exclusively for it. I mean, majority of the games I've found labeled exclusively for Windows 10 still use DX11 instead of DX12.

56 minutes ago, coolfreaky said:

i was in your position and did not wanted to change until i was obliged to pass to windows 10 ( a new PC ) . back than i was looking for alternative and was lurking on the LINUX base system ( safer , faster , but a little more effort to start with ) . events decided otherwise . 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

Eh, I'm HOPEFULLY 3-5 years away from needing to upgrade Motherboard/CPU/RAM since together that'll end up running me probably $1,000 or more. I can run any game I own perfectly, it's just certain newer "programs" (I'm afraid just mentioning the word will get me banned) are pretty much requiring at least a 6-core CPU overclocked to least 4.7Ghz or higher.

What would be the easiest (and closest to Windows) Linux distro that I could try?

4 years ago i wanted to try ubuntu , may be not the best idea but in anyway make a partition for an other system to get use to new mechanism , there are several in the free market and i am not in position to advice you any after 4 years .

may be someone that has experience with will light it with his presence .

Archived