3dsMax Mesh Export Help

I got a weird thing going on that the mesh is not at the same position ingame as it is in 3dsMax and Nifskope. I fitted the mesh to the head but ingame floats somewhere above. This doesn't seem to happen however if I export to ZBrush, edit the mesh and import back into 3dsMax. I included my current export settings in the image as well so please let me know if something is wrong. I also uploaded the .max and .nif files in case somebody wants to take a look.

mesh.zip

Spoiler

20200513112759_1.thumb.png.d0b3b44e37fb258b2124a9a58e5c94f8.png

sadly i can't open your max file unless you save it as a 2010 file.

as for the nif your hat is far above the head node (that seems to have been moved to the root node location)

try turning off "remove extra nodes"....and maybe flatten hierarchy as well.

15 minutes ago, MadMansGun said:

sadly i can't open your max file unless you save it as a 2010 file.

as for the nif your hat is far above the head node (that seems to have been moved to the root node location)

try turning off "remove extra nodes"....and maybe flatten hierarchy as well.

Turning off flatten hierarchy has fixed the mesh. Thanks a lot ❤️

I started with 3dsMax about 2 days ago so there is still a lot that I don't know.

Easy, if you look  into your NIF-file you can see that your HEAD bone is simply Z=zero...

The headbone has to be there, where it should be, in height of the head.

If you create a HAIRWIG, you can import an existing HAIRWIG-maybe something of KSHairdos, OR you create your bandana simply on a character with existing skeleton and then WEIGHT the asset by using the HEADBONE of the skeleton. The bodyslide skeleton can be used as well as the rigged-skeletons, which are available for animations, or you take the skeleton of your choice, which is suiting to your body-mesh.

After you have weighted the asset, you then export the asset (if you use a standardd-skeleton with the root, com and then all along the path up to the head...together with the asset.

If you import an existing asset, you maybe have only a single bone, wich is in that case a result of the BODYSLIDE skeleton, which is made in a diffeent way, so to have vectorial look of all the common bones for CLOTHING and for the reference body to keep it in T-pose for clothing creation. You can then copy the weighted HAIRS to the bandana (your asset) and then address it to become the head as a body part.

Your export is then the dedicated bones + your asset-if you use a common skeleton, you for best export the bones, which all lay on the root path up to the head, because they all depend on each other. In nifscope you can later delete all those bones, which do not be on that directly way on the path up to the head....you slowly can delete all unnecessary bones i mean. YOU need only that bones, which depend on each other-means you can delete hands, arms, helper bones or bumper, weapon bones and so on....

The export is then happening by selecting those assets which you want to be exported-the skeleton is in whole exported, if you have the head-bone of Bodyslide only, in this case only that bone is here important then. If such asset depends on a second bone-weight, you have to weightpaint and use the skeleton for moving the character-mesh, so that you see how the moving has influence on the weighting....such stuff can be made with the rig-skeletons for best, becaus it´s weired to move parts of a BS-compatible skeleton for an animation simmulation-anyway this is here NOT necessary.

For the export, simply use THIS settings (pic) and you´re good to go.

Keep in mind that the nif-exporter has some tiny bugs. If your export failed, you can store the project and restart 3dsmax-after that, you can export the file again with success.

This bug happens, if I create skeletons with weighted objects, mostly if the stuff is OFF center. A rebooting of the software is a solution therefore.

GOOD LUCK....I want your beanie;-)

p.s. I made it ready to go-but you should try to do it also by yourself now.....i´d like to see it with textures.

p.s. 2: if you add this to the game, you need to think about if it is a HAIR exchanger or if it is an ADDITIONAL asset, which is layed on top of existing hair....it is now SKINNED has a hair replacement....if you want to use it TOGETHER with hair, you need to change it´s SLOT inside of nifscope under nifscope: DismemberSkinInstance-Partitions....and there you need to change SBP_31..head....... to another suiting slot which is FREE and not disturbing other clothing PARTS !!!!

commonClothBone-export.JPG

1.nif

2 hours ago, t.ara said:

Easy, if you look  into your NIF-file you can see that your HEAD bone is simply Z=zero...

The headbone has to be there, where it should be, in height of the head.

If you create a HAIRWIG, you can import an existing HAIRWIG-maybe something of KSHairdos, OR you create your bandana simply on a character with existing skeleton and then WEIGHT the asset by using the HEADBONE of the skeleton. The bodyslide skeleton can be used as well as the rigged-skeletons, which are available for animations, or you take the skeleton of your choice, which is suiting to your body-mesh.

After you have weighted the asset, you then export the asset (if you use a standardd-skeleton with the root, com and then all along the path up to the head...together with the asset.

If you import an existing asset, you maybe have only a single bone, wich is in that case a result of the BODYSLIDE skeleton, which is made in a diffeent way, so to have vectorial look of all the common bones for CLOTHING and for the reference body to keep it in T-pose for clothing creation. You can then copy the weighted HAIRS to the bandana (your asset) and then address it to become the head as a body part.

Your export is then the dedicated bones + your asset-if you use a common skeleton, you for best export the bones, which all lay on the root path up to the head, because they all depend on each other. In nifscope you can later delete all those bones, which do not be on that directly way on the path up to the head....you slowly can delete all unnecessary bones i mean. YOU need only that bones, which depend on each other-means you can delete hands, arms, helper bones or bumper, weapon bones and so on....

The export is then happening by selecting those assets which you want to be exported-the skeleton is in whole exported, if you have the head-bone of Bodyslide only, in this case only that bone is here important then. If such asset depends on a second bone-weight, you have to weightpaint and use the skeleton for moving the character-mesh, so that you see how the moving has influence on the weighting....such stuff can be made with the rig-skeletons for best, becaus it´s weired to move parts of a BS-compatible skeleton for an animation simmulation-anyway this is here NOT necessary.

For the export, simply use THIS settings (pic) and you´re good to go.

Keep in mind that the nif-exporter has some tiny bugs. If your export failed, you can store the project and restart 3dsmax-after that, you can export the file again with success.

This bug happens, if I create skeletons with weighted objects, mostly if the stuff is OFF center. A rebooting of the software is a solution therefore.

GOOD LUCK....I want your beanie;-)

p.s. I made it ready to go-but you should try to do it also by yourself now.....i´d like to see it with textures.

p.s. 2: if you add this to the game, you need to think about if it is a HAIR exchanger or if it is an ADDITIONAL asset, which is layed on top of existing hair....it is now SKINNED has a hair replacement....if you want to use it TOGETHER with hair, you need to change it´s SLOT inside of nifscope under nifscope: DismemberSkinInstance-Partitions....and there you need to change SBP_31..head....... to another suiting slot which is FREE and not disturbing other clothing PARTS !!!!

commonClothBone-export.JPG

1.nif 75.14 kB · 1 download

Thanks a lot for the thorough explanation. ❤️

On 5/13/2020 at 9:39 PM, MadMansGun said:

or just say fuck it and press all the buttons until things do things....?

I´m telling that quite often to myself if I can´t solve a problem...LOL.?‍♀️

Do you have an idea for the torch-offset BETHESDA-BUG while mounting on the horse???-condition?

1 hour ago, t.ara said:

Do you have an idea for the torch-offset BETHESDA-BUG while mounting on the horse???-condition?

they did not make any animations for that, so therefor the behaviors for it also don't exist.

the even bigger bullshit is the lack of spell casting when on a horse, wtf? i can use a bow but can't cast a fireball?

also the horse should use/have the shield charge effect when sprinting.

there are a few mods that try to fix these things but they all have one problem or another.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52941

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/24286

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/64067

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/90552