Converting Armors for use with SkyDraenei?

2 hours ago, FairweatherFriend said:

Hello, I have 2 mods that add armor that I'd like to get working with the SkyDraenei mod - 

Right now they cause the ankles to disappear, which is expected. But, I'd like to use more armors than the converted bikinis. The two armors I'm looking to convert are:

How do I go about making these compatible?

that smp one would be hard unless you made a collision shape accurate to the draenei anatomy lol

• 1 month later...

NakedEkans ported "The Amazing World of Bikini Armors" (by Nisetanaka) for SkyDraenei :

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/83383

His post on twitter, where you can find the download link for his mod :

https://twitter.com/NakedEkans/status/1094486804265349120

I think he changed the naked body inside the NIF files for the body armours. (by replacing the default one with the draenei body)

(This fixes the issue of the draenei calves being replaced by standard humanoid ones, which results in having no ankles.)

And he made some custom greaves for the calves. (To replace the unusable boots.)

I think it would be more practical to implement the fix inside the greaves instead of the body armours, to avoid having to edit each piece of body armour. (The greaves have to be edited anyway to fit the draenei anatomy.)

Can't the draenei calves (and ankles) be integrated inside the greaves, to replace the default ones inside of the body armour when equiped?

And for the cases when we don't want to show greaves, use a fake greaves item with naked draenei calves (and ankles)?

Or, if possible, make a fake boots item including the naked hooves, ankles and calves, with a higher display priority than the body item, and a lower priority than the greaves item?

I don't know if either of these 2 options is possible. Maybe the only answer is to do like NakedEkans and edit the body item mesh to add the draenei ankles and calves.

16 hours ago, Varithina said:

Well the quick bodge job version would be to add the skydraenei mod a master file then add the race to each armor pieces armor addon.  Think it is the armor addon, might be the armor, off hand I can not for the life of me remember.

I tried this, but didn't manage to make it work. (maybe I did it wrong)

I think it's useful only if the item doesn't show at all. On the body and calves items I tried, the race set inside the "armor" and "armor addon" was "DefaultRace", which seems to be compatible if the custom race implements the RaceCompatibility mod. (which is the case of SkyDraenei)

23 hours ago, tholwin said:

I tried this, but didn't manage to make it work. (maybe I did it wrong)

I think it's useful only if the item doesn't show at all. On the body and calves items I tried, the race set inside the "armor" and "armor addon" was "DefaultRace", which seems to be compatible if the custom race implements the RaceCompatibility mod. (which is the case of SkyDraenei)

No idea, the only race mod I every played much was Tiefling from here, and it was not really to my taste as I am not really into the stealth type characters, which that race pretty much forces you to play.

My best guess would be anything that takes the same locations as the hooves/calf areas would need reworking, torso stuff should from what I remember work, though if they have tails or wings it can get a bit odd, as chances are they would not show on the modded armor, there again they might, things can be a bit on and off in this game when working with mods.

2 hours ago, Varithina said:

My best guess would be anything that takes the same locations as the hooves/calf areas would need reworking, torso stuff should from what I remember work, though if they have tails or wings it can get a bit odd, as chances are they would not show on the modded armor, there again they might, things can be a bit on and off in this game when working with mods.

I think the same. This race is unconventional because of the custom skeleton. It has an additional bone inside the body mesh. And this makes all body items incompatible. (The ankles disappear.) But I believe reworked greaves dedicated to draenei should work. (If it's possible to include everything between the knees and the hooves, with the custom skeleton, inside an item for the calves.) I should ask the author of this port "The Amazing World of Bikini Armors" for SkyDraenei. I think he did the same but inside the body armors instead of the greaves. I would try myself but it would first require me to learn how to use NifSkope.

5 hours ago, tholwin said:

I think the same. This race is unconventional because of the custom skeleton. It has an additional bone inside the body mesh. And this makes all body items incompatible. (The ankles disappear.) But I believe reworked greaves dedicated to draenei should work. (If it's possible to include everything between the knees and the hooves, with the custom skeleton, inside an item for the calves.) I should ask the author of this port "The Amazing World of Bikini Armors" for SkyDraenei. I think he did the same but inside the body armors instead of the greaves. I would try myself but it would first require me to learn how to use NifSkope.

Hmm, might require 3D max or blender rather than nifscope, there again 3D modeling is not really my area, not done any of it in about 25ish years now and that was for a course at college, and never did any afterward.  Asking the guy how he did it for that though is a good idea, well if he answers anyway.

Just to muddle it all further, I myself have tried converting a couple simple (read bikini top) outfits to the sky draenai race. I ended up getting the ankles to connect to the hooves however the backwards knee things they have get scrunched together, when equipped by someone with a regular skeleton the piece is fine (just no hooves as that is a separate foot mesh). 

tl;dr its probably the draenai race's unique skeleton causing the problem

What I learnt so far,

In Skyrim, the _0.NIF and _1.NIF files of the piece of outfit attached to the body slot includes a copy of the naked body. (This body doesn't include the head, hands and feet. For the SkyDraenei race, the feet are the hooves. This means the rest of feet/legs is part of the body.)
One way to convert an outfit is by replacing this naked mesh inside the outfit by the Draenei version. Then you would still have to alter the eventual parts clipping with the new legs.

I managed to do something basic with NifSkope, for an outfit without clipping issues.
First, make sure your files are for the same body shape (and physics). (If you use BodySlide, use the output files for the outfit and the Draenei body.)
Open the _0.nif file of the outfit body item, and the Draenei femalebody_0.nif.
Locate the NiTriShape node named BaseShape in both files. (This should be the body shape mesh.)
Delete the BaseShape branche inside _0.nif and replace it with the one from femalebody_0.nif.
Repeat for the _1.nif file of the outfit body item, and the Draenei femalebody_1.nif.
These new files will solve the issue of the disappearing "ankles". Of course, they now have the opposite issue with non Draenei races.

It should be possible to do the equivalent in OutfitStudio.

Inside the Creation Kit or Tes5Edit,
I don't know if it's possible for an item to use different meshes for specific races, but we can make a non replacing copy of our outfit using the new NIF files. (Don't forget to use a new path or name.)

As for my idea of making special greaves including the Draenei legs, used to hide the normal legs, I don't think this can work if the calves inside the BaseShape are attached to the body slot instead the calves slot. Sadly it's the case for all the outfits I've toyed with.

• 3 months later...

Thanks to tholwin whose post helped kickstart my desire for Draenei compatible outfits and after 2 months of numerous trials and errors I think I've managed to crack down everything there is to convert an armor to the SkyDraenei body with bodyslide without any issues. Started this project knowing nothing at all about outfit studio so quite a lot of time spent redoing my process over and over again with Nini's damaged armor pack which was a great learning tool as it covered numerous outfit designs. I've probably gone through that entire armor pack and redone it 4 times.

The only thing that I can't figure out at all is why a legging or boot freaks out when you don't delete anything below the ankles which makes having any clothing thats purely a shoe impossible to convert, thankfully we have hooves though. I don't think it can be done in outfit studio but from what I know its impossible and simply causes weird issues.

Also I've attempted to try HDT-SMP but I made a mistake of starting out with that with SkyDraenei Addon's BHUNP first with no experience, I may come back to that but for now my work has been done successfully only on HDT-PE and the SkyDraenie's UNPD/UNPD Special bodies.

Right now I'm planning on releasing a tutorial and a thread for my converted outfits once I at least get a few done. Stay tuned!

https://i.imgur.com/hsBIg5y.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NymYXbY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YEgv4v8.jpg

• 3 months later...