How to make New Vegas more stable.

Karli2

New Vegas is a notoriously unstable game. There are a few things you can do to make it a little more stable, but you're gonna have crashing periodically no matter how good you get it running.

-Get New Vegas Stutter Reducer. Does what it says on the tin.

-Get any one of several bugfix mods. In my opinion Mission Mojave Ultimate Edition is the best, but there are others.

-This is probably a no duh for an experienced Bethesda fan, but make sure you've disabled all autosave options, and be sure that whenever you save its a new save, not overwriting an existing save. CASM is a good mod for this, it automatically creates new saves on a timed basis, and only keeps a set number of saves you can configure through MCM.

There are various other fixes you can find on Nexus, and I'm sure other users will make other suggestions, but those three are at least a good start.

I was aware of and tempted to use one of the bug fix mods but was unsure if it would cause some issues with SexoutNG. If it is save and inparticular the Mission Mojave Ultimate Edition  is proven with you using it I will have to seriously consider it.

Casm is an great option played with it before but not long term, need to vist using that as well.

I can stand behind the New Vegas Studder Reducer as well. It made my game way more stable that it has ever been.

If you can direct me to a post with a guide either here or on their site, that would be awesome. Even better if you can waste your time teaching a newbie such as myself. You are incredibly helpful and that is fantastic.

Opinion: Fallout 3's map design is far superior than New Vegas's, but the survival aspect and combat is lacking in FO3 and these aspects would be perfect in NV if it wasn't for the map design. Tale of two wastelands makes an amazing baby of that with problems. Hopefully FO4  conglomerates  these aspects and merges that retro punk style I am hearing about. 

Apparently, all you have to do is open the mod on the GECK, go to Gameplay, and select Recompile all Scripts. I think you need to make it so the GECK uses NVSE as well, which I unfortunately don't know how to do, but someone in the TTW forums should be able to help. Folk over there are rather friendly.

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

steam annoyance: rumored to have tendancy to rewrite .ini files in steam folder-  nullifying mod induced changes -theres falloutdefault ini,falloutprefs ini,and just plain falloutini- good luck figuring out which ones to set "read only".

usually i make change to one and all .

its gonna eventually crash anyway -been everywhere and done everything at least once ,but never in one game.eventually i mod unplayable.

steam annoyance: rumored to have tendancy to rewrite .ini files in steam folder-  nullifying mod induced changes -theres falloutdefault ini,falloutprefs ini,and just plain falloutini- good luck figuring out which ones to set "read only".

usually i make change to one and all .

its gonna eventually crash anyway -been everywhere and done everything at least once ,but never in one game.eventually i mod unplayable.

You should not modify the ini files in the steam folder, you should only modify the ones in your "documents\my games\fallout3" or "documents\mygames\falloutnv". I have never had to make any "read only".

Try these links for more information on ini settings:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_1.html

This program will help edit ini for some graphics and perfomance settings with easy to understand GUI:

Fallout 3:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/6769/?

Fallout New Vegas:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/40442/?

Hope this helps, and oh mega necro....

• 7 months later...

the problem with most these answers is that everyone has a varying degree of how many mods they use and the kinds of mods. people posting about never having a corrupt save or altering ini files probably dont even use some of the fun mods out there. the otherside of this is those that say they have constant corrupts or massive load times and never being able to finish a game probably have mods on their games with a ton of scripting. 

theres no such thing as a stable fonv game. even without any mods on the pc you can see hillarious bugs and will run into some sort of problem. 

you just need to balance your playthroughs with the amount of scipts and amount of mods knowing what your rig can handle. mofo saying they have 140 plus mods probably running their shit on badass rigs. shit i bet their computer has a room of its own and set up like a shrine. 

my answer to this post would be to have one theme for your playthroughs each and mod accordingly to that. trying to have a game where you can do everything in a game that you should be able to do everything doesnt work with fonv. so by theme i mean for example; play as android using the ares mods that are out there or terminator ones and kill all humans all the way to clear. another theme is play as a slaver having your minions you pick up do all the dirty work using jips follower commands. its hillarious to watch the slaves go after your targets and if they get killed run away and get more and come back. one theme is the only way i can go with my system. if i try to go android enslave all humans and ride a motorcycle/bigass hummer sexing the desert animals and humans in my game i usually dont get out too far from good springs hahaha. balance your shit to where you can still have fun is the best way to have a stable game. 

always check the utility and fixes mods and make sure you read up posts on them before you add them. a new one comes out on a regular basis. dont run too many of them. i would limit it to 4 max. and always mod your game cause fuck vanilla. 

Archived