[Review/Guide] Star Wars: The Old Republic

star-wars-the-old-republic-logo.jpg

Disclaimer: May be updated in the future.

Game Name: Star Wars: The Old Republic
Developer: BioWare
Publisher: Electronic Arts/LucasArts
Genre: Massively Multiplayer, Online role-playing game
Age Rating: Teen
Servers: 8 US Servers, 9 European Servers, 3 Asia Pacific Servers
Player base: Extremely High
Distribution Media: Downloadable Client, Optical Disc

Key Notes (Contains spoilers!):

- The Old Republic is part of the Knights of the Old Republic series and is considered to be Knights of the Old Republic 3

- The Old Republic takes place after the events of Knight of the Old Republic 1 and 2.

Choose from 10 species

Players are given the option to choose from 10 different species. Each species has a unique skill which is available from level one. By default certain species can only be used for certain sides, players can unlock all 10 species for both sides for 1 million credits each.

• Chiss
  • Cyborg
  • Human
  • Miraluka
  • Mirialan
  • Rattataki
  • Sith Pureblood
  • Twi'lek
  • Zabrak

It should be noted that you do have an alignment bar. Actions you take may cause a increase in light or dark side. This means you could have a light side pureblooded sith. Some gear is dependent on your alignment.

Choose from 8 classes

Choose from 8 classes each with 2 advanced classes. Each class has a array of active and passive skills which can make the difference in battle. Master your class and become the ultimate weapon on the battlefield.

The Galactic Republic

• Jedi Consular
  • Jedi Knight
  • Smuggler
  • Trooper

The Sith Empire

• Sith Inquisitor
  • Sith Warrior
  • Imperial Agent
  • Bounty Hunter

It should be noted that you do have a alignment bar. Action you take may cause a increase in light or dark side. This means you could have a light side pureblooded sith.

Player Spaceships and space combat

Each class has their own spaceship which they can board, travel to other planets in and equip with gear. Each ship has its own layout and can be upgraded with several additional functions such a mail droid, 2 battle damage testing droids, repair droid and cargo bay. Subscribers automatically have access to the cargo bay on their ship.

• Jedi Consular - Jedi Defender
  • Jedi Knight - Jedi Defender
  • Smuggler -  XS Freighter
  • Trooper -  BT-7 Thunderclap

• Sith Inquisitor - Fury
  • Sith Warrior - Fury
  • Imperial Agent - X- 70B Phantom
  • Bounty Hunter - D5 Mantis

There are space combat missions which can be done as well using your personal spaceship. Space combat is done using a rail shooter model meaning that your ship follows a set path and cannot stray off that path. Despite this though space combat missions are in a class of their own and are extremely difficult to do at higher levels. Space missions give a good amount of experience points and credits when completed and are daily missions.

Companions

As with Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 players will run into characters in game throughout their storyline missions, each companion has their own set of skills and fighting style, some are healers, ranged, tanks or damage. Two companions for each class are romance options, one male one female. All companions have a background story for them as well, doing these mission will provide the players with experience, credits and valuable information into how they companion fights.

Like player characters and spaceship companions can be upgraded with new gear to help increase their combat performance. As you do missions with companions their affection level will increase unlocking bonus missions and more romance options for that character.

Crafting and crew skills

The player will be able to choose from one of 6 crafting skills which their crew can learn, players should note that you can only have one crafting skill and two support skills. If you want a different one you can switch but you will lose all your process on the prevoius skill such as level and blueprints. As well as crafting skills they are 4 mission skills and 4 gathering skills, each crafting skills is designed to be used with a mission support skill and a gathering support skill. While you do not need to learn the recommeneded skills for you crafting skill it is advised as it makes crafting so much easier to do.

Crafting skill                   Gathering Skill                   Mission Skill

45px-Armormech_Icon1.png Armormech             45px-Archaeology_Icon1.png Archaeology                     45px-Diplomacy_Icon1.png Diplomacy

45px-Armstech_Icon1.png Armstech                45px-Bioanalysis_Icon1.png Bioanalysis                       45px-Investigation_Icon1.png Investigation

45px-Artifice_Icon1.png Artifice                    45px-Scavenging_Icon1.png Scavenging                      45px-Treasure_Hunting_Icon1.png Treasure Hunting
45px-Biochem_Icon1.png Biochem                 45px-Slicing_Icon1.png Slicing                               45px-Underworld_Trading_Icon1.png Underworld Trading

45px-Cybertech_Icon1.png Cybertech

45px-Synthweaving_Icon1.png Synthweaving

Armormech

Armormech is a skill which is used to contruct armors for non-Force users such as troopers, bounty hunters, Smugglers and Imperial Agents.  It is recommened that players use the Underworld Trading and Scavenging skills with this creating skill.

Armstech

Armstech is used for the construction of weapons such as blasters, rifles, vibroblades and any other non-Force weapons. It is also used for the construction of modifications of those weapons. It is recommened that players use the Investigation and Scavenging skills with this creating skill.

Artifice

Artifice is used for the construction of all Force related items such as lightsabers, relics, lighsaber modifications and offhand items such as shield generators and focuses. It is recommended that players learn the Archaeology and Treasure Hunting skills for this crafting skills.

Biochem

Biochem is the construction of medpacks, stims, Adrenals and implants. For the begining player it is the most recommended skill to have as it allows you do create reuseable medpacks which never run out. They is always a market of any item crafting using this skill and implants can be used to greatly increase your characters performance. It is recommended that players learn the Bioanalysis and Diplomacy skills for this crafting skill.

Cybertech

Cybertech is the construction of droid armor, earpieces, implants, grenades, armoring, mods, ship weapons and shields, ship armor and vehicles such as speedbikes. While these can bring in a load of credits is the most hardest crafting skill to master and the most expensive to learn. It is recommened that players use the Underworld Trading and Scavenging skills with this creating skill.

Synthweaving

Synthweaving is the process of fabricating materials for the construction of armor for Force users. It is recommened that players use the Archaeology and Underworld Trading skills with this creating skill.

Legacy System

The legacy system is advanced feature which is automatically available for players with an active subscription.

More information on the Legacy system can be found here.

Subscription

Player can purchase a optional subscription which removes some of the restrictions applied on Free to Play players. These restrictions can be removed using in game credits by purchasing the relevant unlock from the Galactic Trade Network.

A full list of Free to Play features can be found here

Warzones and PVP

Some planets are listed as Warzone planets, this means that both factions are able to go to that planet and players may clash in PVP fights on it's surface. If a Republic player walks into Empire territory all the Empire NPC which they run into will try and kill them the same happens for Empire players walking into Republic territory.

PVP is completely optional on a PvE server, players on a PvE server must flag themselves up for PVP. If you walk into a PVP area on a warzone planet then you will automatically ended up getting flagged for PVP within 30 seconds of entering. If you are on a PVP server you are free game to players of the opposing faction regardless of where you are unless you are in one of their cities.

Additional information:

If you do come over to play the game if possible try and get on the US Server Shadowlands. I am currently on this server and am more then willing to help out new players, just send a message to ArkOfTruth or PM through LoversLab.

The First Ever Trailer! (Dark Side)

[video=youtube]

The second trailer (Light Side)

[video=youtube]

[spoiler=Ark's Gameplay videos]

Space combat mission - Pakuuni Defense

[video=youtube]

Elite flashpoint mission - The Red Reaper - Final Boss Fight

[video=youtube]

[spoiler=Images]

screenshot2013021022020.jpg

screenshot2013021022052.jpg

screenshot2013021022070.jpg

Edited by Ark of Truth

I would have bought this game if they hadn't named it "The Old Republic" Kotor 1 was one of my favorite games so I dont like it when lucas arts tries to screw me over . however I heard some rumors that obsidian may be working an a new Kotor , that would be amazing.

I would have bought this game if they hadn't named it "The Old Republic" Kotor 1 was one of my favorite games so I dont like it when lucas arts tries to screw me over . however I heard some rumors that obsidian may be working an a new Kotor , that would be amazing.

The new Kotor was cancelled, the content got merged into this. It was called The Old Republic because it focus on different classes instead of the player just becoming a Jedi, also considering it is a MMO and not single player they would have to change the name to make sure people did not become confused between the two.

Personally I don't see how the name prevents you when playing the game, considering you can download and play it not for free.

Randomly decided to DL this about a week ago. Ended up making a Female Cyborg Trooper (Shadowlands server). Got to about level 3, and stopped. Not sure if I'll pick it up again any time soon, currently busy trying to grind Omega and Romulan Marks in STO (no Fleet marks, as I have no fleet).

Seems the game is doing fine now, i remember visiting their forums for some info some time ago and found a cesspit of hate instead.

I wish i would have the internet to download it, would love to try it out...some people said its like an online kotor and i loved that game.

Seems the game is doing fine now, i remember visiting their forums for some info some time ago and found a cesspit of hate instead.

I wish i would have the internet to download it, would love to try it out...some people said its like an online kotor and i loved that game.

It is the only difference is it is multiplayer so others can help you :D That's why I like it so much.

Game play video should be up in 30 mins. You can buy the discs pretty cheap these days with a month of subscriber included.

It is the only difference is it is multiplayer so others can help you :D That's why I like it so much.

Game play video should be up in 30 mins. You can buy the discs pretty cheap these days with a month of subscriber included.

Oh right i saw the price dropping, it was even posted on their forums i think...well my internet is still a problem though... 5Kb/s even google doesnt want to load with that sometimes :s

Oh right i saw the price dropping, it was even posted on their forums i think...well my internet is still a problem though... 5Kb/s even google doesnt want to load with that sometimes :s

Ouch.....

You can download and play the game for free without the discs. Over here you can buy the game for £10. A months subscription is £8.99 so your basically paying for 1 month subscription and the discs which believe me come in handy considering 80% of the game even after updating is on them discs.

After the subscription runs out you can continue paying for the subscription or switch to fuel to play. You may have to submit payment details if you use the code from the discs it depends if they changed it since the free to play switch. After you create a account you can remove the details straight after.

Ouch.....

You can download and play the game for free without the discs. Over here you can buy the game for £10. A months subscription is £8.99 so your basically paying for 1 month subscription and the discs which believe me come in handy considering 80% of the game even after updating is on them discs.

After the subscription runs out you can continue paying for the subscription or switch to fuel to play. You may have to submit payment details if you use the code from the discs it depends if they changed it since the free to play switch. After you create a account you can remove the details straight after.

Cool thanks for the details! :)

Yeah i could get a better internet, just not where i live atm ...immagine a snowy skyrim mountain somewhere in background...thats exactly where i live lol...basicaly i can be happy to have any internet at all hehe.

There is one thing im concerned about, thats the Costumer Support i havent seen many positivness from non-NA players towards it tbh, plus now they charge for it if im not mistaken, also the oceanic servers populations are dropping (?), not sure if europe is part of these servers though, then again i dont believe everything thats being said on the forums, but some more info wont hurt i guess.

I've played this for about a month or so. It's incredibly engaging, and I love the fully voiced scenes and story missions. I love that you can play this solo and not really interact much with anyone if you don't want to. I'm not big on MMOs anymore, having finally escaped the clutches of WoW. If you treat this like KotOR 3 with multiplayer option, you're golden.

My only real gripe is free players don't get much. They limit you to only one profession (subscribers are allowed three), and I think you have to wait longer for your ship. You also have to wait until level 15 to get sprint, which subscribers get at level 1, so expect to lag behind others a lot at first. I also don't like that you're limited in the races you get to pick. I was hoping to play as a hot Twi'lek, but alas, only humans or Zabraks for me.

That said, I'm still enjoying it immensely. I take breaks from it every now and again, but I always seem to come back. Taking down mobs with my force powers and light saber is just so goddamn satisfying, and the music swelling in the background makes it feel fucking epic. I give this my full endorsement, and encourage any who play to strongly consider a full subscription. I want to see more games like this, so they need our support.

Edit: A weird thing, I know it's kind of minor, but why bother having an alignment meter if you're stuck in your respective factions? I'd love the option to switch sides, provided your light/dark level is high enough. I wish they'd consider this.

TOR is one of the better single player RPGs I've played.

No really, I may use sarcasm but the stories for the Sith Warrior and Imperial Agent are rather engaging, especially if you play light side because you're actually being a good person and not a holier than thou jerkwit who's good merely because they follow the rules (and I'm of the opinion that the Jedi - as an organisation - are as oppressive as the Sith but that's another matter entirely).

It's too bad that it has to come attached to a generic MMO experience with the most tedious and time consuming raids I've played since WoW Cataclysm's awful offerings.

Also don't get me started on what they did with Revan, we'll be here all day.

What's your character names? If you need help with stuff just let me know :) More then willing to help.

No worries. :cool:

My Republic Smuggler is Bhrenit (currently on Taris), and my Imperial Agent is Kythri (currently on Balmorra). I'm working with the Agent at the moment to get her caught up.