Form 43 v Form 44 plugins?

Plaguetard

Greetings all. So I fell deep into Fallout 4 with all the new amazing mods that have come out, and went away from Skyrim SE for a few months. I decided to come back and just play them both, so I updated all my SkrimSE stuff. Everything is working generally alright, as always there will need to be some tweaking to get so many mods running smoothly (I over mod)

Anyways.... I noticed that several updated mods are using the Form 43 plugin from Skyrim. Is this normal now? Are we no longer converting the form over to 44 via SSE Edit? I read a few places that converting was causing bugs. Did I miss something over the past few months?

Thanks for anyone that can catch me up into the loop.

This has been discussed extensively, more than once in the Conversion Tracking thread. The TL;DR is Skyrim SE is totally capable of working with form43 and there is no evidence that doing so cause bugs. There is only a handful of records that might suffer from form43, so the port process must be done by someone who really knows what they're doing and in most cases is unnecessary. And yes, there have been reports from players having issues with plugins ported to have form44 that seems to be resolved when a plugin with form43 is used instead, so it can even do more harm than good.

19 minutes ago, dontknowdontcaredontask said:

This has been discussed extensively, more than once in the Conversion Tracking thread. The TL;DR is Skyrim SE is totally capable of working with form43 and there is no evidence that doing so cause bugs. There is only a handful of records that might suffer from form43, so the port process must be done by someone who really knows what they're doing and in most cases is unnecessary. And yes, there have been reports from players having issues with plugins ported to have form44 that seems to be resolved when a plugin with form43 is used instead, so it can even do more harm than good.

Thank you for that. Sorry if it was a redundant question. I did a couple searches but didn't seem to find an actual topic thread discussing it. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Oh don't worry, I didn't mention that because I expected you to follow the discussion of a thread with hundreds of pages. I just mentioned it for context. Besides, you never know when someone sees a post like this and provides new information on the subject (I'm still waiting for any sort of proof for all these critical bugs Arthmoor said a plugin with form43 cause in SE).

There is no known evidence that Bethesda's form 44 is required for SE compatibility.  Any mod edited in the SE Creation Kit will certainly have the main form type, and any edited/new records, updated to form 44, but the rest of the plugin file, and all of the vanilla ESM files that SE ships with, won't/aren't 100% form 44 throughout.  They have form versions as low as 15 (that I've seen personally), all the way up to and including form 43 and 44 (Form 44 items are only new edits made for the SE version).  The entire form version thing is Bethesda game engine convention.  The fact that the engine is the defining factor for the form versions, and the vanilla plugins are not 100% form 44, makes it seems ludicrous to consider that form 44 is a requirement or that non 44 forms are going to mess up your savegames.  If that is the case, the vanilla plugins are full of sub version 44 form IDs that are going to cause your savegames to get cancer, blow up your PC or give you the Corona virus.

I run dozens of form 43 mods without any issues.  I stand by my signature.

Archived