Sims 3 or Sims 4

Hi,

I’m looking to get back into the Sims. I have the sims 3 & a lode of DLC. I wouldn’t mind upgrading to the Sims 4 but it’d be a lot of money to get to the same functionality due to EA’s game structure.

What game has a stronger ‘Lovers Lab’ experience? I noticed that Sims 3 has ‘Kinky World’ (that looks great) but development seems to have stoped.

Any advice?

xx

What kind of advice do you expect? You say you have Sims3, which means you can just try out what is availalbe for that game. It's just an investment of time, not of money.
Sims4 is obviously the "current" game, and the respective forum section is much more busy. Is it a better experience? I guess that depends on a lot of factors. I just play Sims3, which means I cannot really tell you how the experience for Sims4 is, even though I have the game (base game only though). As I understood it, Sims4 is easier to work with for contributors. With Sims3, you can easily see everything's that's available. Why not try both?

If you played the Sims 2, then you'll understand the world structure of 4. With respect to 4 though, it seems most of the negatives of 2 besides loading screens for going anywhere have been addressed. In comparison to 2 though the towns are smaller yet everything is extremely 'shiny'.

To clear issues many had with 3, 4 was 'backed' up to a simpler concept like 2, and reworked like a Formula1 race car. More style, easier to work with, better running, handling.

To me ultimately, Origin is the deal breaker, and I don't use or need it - All disks with xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx codes to install. Took a small investment to get the remaining EP's though, but worth it IMO.

Post this in the Sims 4 section as well - see both sides of the coin from experienced users. My experience is Sims 2 and 3, with MANY screenshots of 3 here on LL if interested in what it CAN look like.

Best of luck

Sim love 4 ever

• 2 months later...

I've played The Sims 1,2,3 and just recently ventured into the world of Sims 4.  There are definately some better points to the Sims 4 like faster loading times and improved animations.  Landess really sums this up in the previous post, much better than I can.  Maybe it's because I haven't played it much, but the Sims 4 feels clunky and not as immersive as The Sims 3.  Now given time, I am sure that I could get the game looking as good as my current Sims 3 (after many years of tweaking... and still things to learn!), but it's things like the lack of open world and little things like the rooms being too high and the lack of reality and control (thanks NRASS),  that make me feel I will be sticking with The Sims 3 for now.  We can learn from how The Sims 4 is structured though.  I do not have a very new or powerful computer and I am a mod/ HQ visuals/ clutter junky!  Look at the Sims 4 worlds, they are small with minimal households.  I like to run worlds in The Sims 3 that are small/ medium worlds, but with HQ mods and every house crammed with clutter. ( I do sacrifice jobs and npc's to do this though).  The game runs well, however I do have to 'reset' the world every 3 months by saving all my sims and loading them and any lot changes into the base world again.  Please let me know about any tips you have about extending the longevity and minimising download times of worlds.

7 hours ago, playervlad1999 said:

I've played The Sims 1,2,3 and just recently ventured into the world of Sims 4.  There are definately some better points to the Sims 4 like faster loading times and improved animations.  Landess really sums this up in the previous post, much better than I can.  Maybe it's because I haven't played it much, but the Sims 4 feels clunky and not as immersive as The Sims 3.  Now given time, I am sure that I could get the game looking as good as my current Sims 3 (after many years of tweaking... and still things to learn!), but it's things like the lack of open world and little things like the rooms being too high and the lack of reality and control (thanks NRASS),  that make me feel I will be sticking with The Sims 3 for now.  We can learn from how The Sims 4 is structured though.  I do not have a very new or powerful computer and I am a mod/ HQ visuals/ clutter junky!  Look at the Sims 4 worlds, they are small with minimal households.  I like to run worlds in The Sims 3 that are small/ medium worlds, but with HQ mods and every house crammed with clutter. ( I do sacrifice jobs and npc's to do this though).  The game runs well, however I do have to 'reset' the world every 3 months by saving all my sims and loading them and any lot changes into the base world again.  Please let me know about any tips you have about extending the longevity and minimising download times of worlds.

Sounds like we're mostly on the same page = I do enjoy the huge worlds, but they need a lot of love (resetting as you mentioned). I do tend to keep homes a bit more 'Spartan' though for the same reasons... Example: Rarely do I have all the walls up, so I never bother with hanging pictures that 'never' get seen. Plus with all the customizing of Sims I do, and tend to spend more time away from home, there's less need for me to fill the houses with a lot of stuff. I recently downloaded a mansion, and that sucker is filled to the brim. Looks great but is quite taxing on the system, and increased the load time a bit.

Curious: I never played the Sims 1. It just looked primitive to me at the time of release, yet from what I've read, game play is probably the most satisfying. This aligns with my thoughts concerning Game Mechanics and Presentation from passionate developers which degrade over time due to corporate interest.

I'd give the sims 4 a play, just to see the amazing amount of mods available 'IF' it wasn't for Origin. Yet I have a feeling, many mods would require certain EP's, and I'm just not going down THAT road again. Even CC for the Sims 3 sometimes require certain 'Stuff Packs' and I'm not getting those or store items. All Ep's was enough.

• 4 weeks later...