Missing 90's thread

Guest Lady Luck

Guest Lady Luck

lol , this is why i put internet tv and make my own 90's lol i still have links to 90's cartoon and tv shows and other old ones that i enjoy and still have active season but live action on CN that is bullshit.

:D Yay tom and jery are awosome! seriously they are

Yeah i love them, but only the old series, there are some new ones and these arent so good.

Same with Bugs Bunny and other looney toons, these are such old cartoons but i always explode with laughter when watching them.

These old cartoons had a soul.

Yeah i love them' date=' but only the old series, there are some new ones and these arent so good.

Same with Bugs Bunny and other looney toons, these are such old cartoons but i always explode with laughter when watching them.

[/quote']

I can't stand the new Tom and Jerrys for one reason:

Tom never wins.

In the older cartoons, he sometimes would, or reach a stalemate.

Not only is it boring to always know the outcome, but the fact is.. Jerry is an asshole. Don't get me wrong, Tom is an asshole too. But it's far more fun to me to see Tom come out on top now and then.

Yeah i love them' date=' but only the old series, there are some new ones and these arent so good.

[/quote']

I can't stand the new Tom and Jerrys for one reason:

Tom never wins.

In the older cartoons, he sometimes would, or reach a stalemate.

Not only is it boring to always know the outcome, but the fact is.. Jerry is an asshole. Don't get me wrong, Tom is an asshole too. But it's far more fun to me to see Tom come out on top now and then.

Yeah true but it never really bothered me, although as you said in the older series Tom kicked Jerry's ass a few times hehe.

The new ones dont have that atmoshpere, the first series had that feeling, that their creators had fun doing them...the animation and drawing quality were very good in my opinion.

You can't beat a good bit of old Tom and Jerry. Even the roadrunner and the coyote were fun with their over the top "violence", which recently people raised a fuss over because Tom and Jerry was perceived as too "violent".

If anybody ever saw Land Before Time, there were also attempts to try and edit the new releases to not include the scene where Littlefoot's mother dies. That scene always used to make me weep as a child, but then, isn't that the point? Sorrow is a part of life, and I don't think we should be shielding children from it unnecessarily. It was, after all, a beautiful tale, and don't all fairy tales and myths involve some element of danger, sorrow, loss and so forth?

For the most part, I find cartoons and "kids programs" very sanitised, which was one of the reasons I think why Up was really successful. That was incredibly sad but also really heart-warming, and it is a powerful formula.

You can't beat a good bit of old Tom and Jerry. Even the roadrunner and the coyote were fun with their over the top "violence"' date=' which recently people raised a fuss over because Tom and Jerry was perceived as too "violent".

If anybody ever saw Land Before Time, there were also attempts to try and edit the new releases to not include the scene where Littlefoot's mother dies. That scene always used to make me weep as a child, but then, isn't that the point? Sorrow is a part of life, and I don't think we should be shielding children from it unnecessarily. It was, after all, a beautiful tale, and don't all fairy tales and myths involve some element of danger, sorrow, loss and so forth?

For the most part, I find cartoons and "kids programs" very sanitised, which was one of the reasons I think why Up was really successful. That was incredibly sad but also really heart-warming, and it is a powerful formula.

[/quote']

Hmm dont think i saw it, or maybe i dont remember, but you are right, keeping the children uninformed about that death is part of life will cause only more damage later on, as it will be even harder for them to accept that.

My parents told me about death when i was arround 5-6 years old...i couldnt bear the tought when mom told me she will dissapear one day, but later on i started to accept it although it never was easy to immagine what will happen after her death.

Then years later when i was 15, my grandmother died (we were really close) and at her funeral i havent shed a single tear nor was i sad, i became to accept it that she is in a better place and left with a smile.

Meh but i gone too much offtopic, sry :P

The 80s did a lot of damage in this regard. I remember all the stupid euphemisms for death; they'd say things like "destroy him!" or "finish him", or just "get him!". I grew up not really understanding death. I remember watching tv and seeing a cop get shot to death in some prime time drama, and I asked why they didn't just take the bullet out and he'd be okay. My parents looked at me like I was an idiot.

I'm not saying it's a good idea to put kids in front of violence; my babysitter watched chainsaw movies in front of me, and it messed me up in many ways. But hiding death from kids is just as bad. Cartoon studios were starting to get that in the 90s, and you can find a lot of episodes of the classics that dealt with mortality. I remember when Batman TAS started showing blood, and there was an episode of Gargoyles in which Elisa gets accidentally shot; that episode was censored in a lot of cities because of it's depiction of gun violence, ironically accused of glorifying the very thing they were trying to warn kids about.

I'm not entirely sure what the climate for cartoon violence is like these days, whether they've gone back to ignoring death or pushed it too far, but I'd say in most cases the 90s got it right. It can be so tempting to shield children from anything bad (trust me, I know), but there comes a point at which preserving their innocence is stunting their growth. And kids are tougher than you think.

i loved drama on cartoons. i do remember the part of little footh (wich i saw many many years ago and i cried). also, i remember a cartoon/movie released on my country (third world/poor) that was old in the US but here was a premier. it was released on the only movie theater we got in town. it was an ancient burned theatre. i cant remember the name of the cartoon, i was like 5/7 years old or something (cant remember), it was a story about a guy who get old and went to college leaving all his stuff behind wich search for him (they were alive). i remember it was a toaster and some other things. for my age it was a very touchy cartoon and before that, we only got mexican bullcrap. i was a young kid but i always went there to watch US movies, some of them in english and without subtitles, so, i learned that language all by myself, just to understand what i was watching (so, i'm sorry if my english sucks). a couple of years later they began to show new stuff and some new local cinemas (movie theaters) appeared, my town finally knew about civilization (the 80's was a very difficult time for my country). i will never forget that old theatre, the old days eating popcorn and escaping from the world. just a bunch of kids watching those old cartoons wich included drama, comedy, action, horror and many many more themes. a perfect example of how new generations are spoiled by the media (im not saying my generation were an amazing example of perfection, but many of us get to maturity earlier and easier). curiosly, i saw that old theatre a couple of weeks ago, its now closed, dusty and forgoten.

The Brave Little Toaster is the name of the movie you mentioned. I think it's amazing that you learned English from watching movies. I can't imagine doing that with another language. How do you even start recognizing individual words? I'm sorry to hear the 80s were so rough; I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with how it was for other countries.

That closed up theater makes me a little sad. Did they get a replacement at least?

The Brave Little Toaster is the name of the movie you mentioned. I think it's amazing that you learned English from watching movies. I can't imagine doing that with another language. How do you even start recognizing individual words? I'm sorry to hear the 80s were so rough; I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with how it was for other countries.

That closed up theater makes me a little sad. Did they get a replacement at least?

thanks for giving me the name of the movie, ill search for it. :)

i always carried a little notebook and wrote down some words (i must be honest, curses (swears?) were the first ones XD), everytime i heard a word writen in my notebook, i related it to the action and reaction, and with some years, a lot of free time and patience, i learned (or atleast i think so :P). things went easy when we got internet access (the days of MIRC32, netscape, altavista and phone modems, sitting there for 10 minutes till a single image was loaded). today, i cant play a game if its not in english, i cant stand searching for spanish translations and hearing those crappy voices. :P

about that movie theater. we got new cinemas but the original theatre broke up. the owner got old and died many years ago and his sons never took over the business. they left the country and went to the US (as many more did on the 80's - 90's) i cant blame them, life its still hard here. there are a lot of abandoned buildings near that area, if i got some time, ill take some pictures before corporations take them down, its just a matter of time till that area dissapears. sounds like a movie but its true and sad...

the 90's also make me remember the first time i saw Street Fighter II on the only arcade center in the whole town (it was an old machine, the owner went to the US and bring it here with some other machines wich included mario bros 1 and 2... yes we got mario on the 90's). i didnt had any money, so i just watched other kids play for hours. one day, the owner gave me a coin and invited me to play, i really didnt knew what i was doing (i was lame and i remember i chose Blanka because i just had to press repeatedly 1 button to get his electric skill) but ill never forget those 3 minutes. i loved that game so much that everytime i left school i washed cars to get some coins and play on the arcade.

i'm thankfull about this post, it made me remember old good times. when watching interesting movies and funny cartoons, playing chinese copies of nintendo and arcades, reading very old nintendo-power magazines, playing yo-yo, trompo and marbles; were the only enternainment we got. when you had to work since kid for hours just to get some money. nowdays kids do nothing, they watch lame tv shows on MTV (in the 90's MTV rocked), they want everything by doing nothing in exchange, always on their cellphones/iphones/ipads/tripods/whatever, dressing lame clothes and pretending they are gangsters (the lame edition, not the 20's - 50's US edition). im not talking about ALL kids on the world, atleast this is what its happening on my country. we are poor but we pretend we are rich, wich is lame. half the people are starving and the other half wastes tons of food and water. but oh well, like a mexican quote says: "Bendita ignorancia". Wich translated would be "Blissful ignorance or bless the ignorance". like the bird in front of the cat, put his wings on his eyes and says: i cant see him, so hes not there. "in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man its king." - Erasmus.

anyway, sorry for those lame lines, i just wanted to share those experiences with you. :)