Some simple questions about installation, fnvedit and master update mode

So lately I have recently been experimenting with fnvedit, and I was considering doing a wipe and then reinstall of my fallout files, so here's a couple queries:

1. Should I use master update mode?

I've noticed at least one mod on the nexus that says it doesn't work with master update, and with the rate of changes being made to SCR lately it adds more steps to an already pesky process for mods that are being updated regularly. Is it really worth it to use this feature?

2. For loose esps, (like brutalrapers, consequences, etc), should I just drop them in the data folder and activate them in fomm? My typical process is that I zip the file, then use fomm to install it. Is this a bad idea?

1: DO NOT USE MASTER UPDATE FOR FNV. Many mods explicitly state in their op/description that Master Update will BREAK them. Doing a Master Restore won't matter, the changes MU makes will permanently bork the file requiring a reinstall. Its much better (and in fact highly recommended) that you filter for conflicts and make a merged patch.

2: No, that isn't a bad idea. Mod managers like FOMM and NMM can't handle loose .esp and .esm files. Meanwhile, 1 mod can add 5 or 6 plugins to your data folder (e.g. Project Nevada) making it a real headache to track down loose files in the data folder. By compressing it into an archive file and installing it through a mod manager, you can then organize your package manager as you see fit making mods easier to track down and uninstall when unnecessary.

hmm...well that's discouraging, guess a full reinstall is in order. I don't seem to have any issues currently with my files, but I tend to use only sexout mods along with various armor/body replacers...are there any sexout mods that master update specifically breaks that you know of?

hmm...well that's discouraging' date=' guess a full reinstall is in order. I don't seem to have any issues currently with my files, but I tend to use only sexout mods along with various armor/body replacers...are there any sexout mods that master update specifically breaks that you know of?

[/quote']

I was confused about masterupdate as well. Didn't use it for FNV, because of mod authors claiming that it breaks their mods. Having played FO3 a lot, I was accustomed to do it. The problem was that I didn't really know what it meant to do a masterupdate. I thought that it updated the savegames to point to the new plugins, when in fact masterupdate sets the masterflag on every installed plugin. Basically it turns every .esp you have into an .esm. While that was necessary for a broken update for FO3, it isn't in any way necessary for FNV or FO3 for that matter, as that problem was fixed with the latest FO3 patch. Symon explains that here.

Archived