4 GB loader issue

sandleo

I was just wondering if anyone can help me with an issue I'm having. I've been trying to use the nvse version of the 4 gb nv loader on 64 bit windows 7, and I don't see any errors, but when I look at resource usage, it seems like I'm still only using 2 gigs of data.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

I have been using this for quite some time and I have never seen usage top 3.2 gigs no matter what I tweak. Believe you me I have enough mods to stress the hell out of NV but rather than break the 3.2 barrier I just get a CTD.

Not that I am complaining as 3.2gigs allows me a GREAT deal of freedom to have fairly large fights with the graphics cranked up high!!

I also use this to improve stability: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=42956

It's worth remembering that the 4GB loader won't make you use 4Gb, it just lets the game use up to 4GB. As Gregathit shows, you'll likely crash before you get to 4GB... mainly because the engine really cannot cope with that much memory being used, but it does let you use much more than the default setting.

It's also worth remembering that the game will count any memory usage the GPU has towards that 4GB, but it won't show it under the Task Manager. In Gregathit's case, it could be he's using 800MB GPU memory, along with his 3.2GB RAM, tipping him over the 4GB and causing a CTD.

I know, Windows really could handle that stuff better to show the total memory usage, but it doesn't. Just assume all your GPU memory is being used and take that of the 4GB... that should give you a good idea how much you'll be able to use.

Thanks for the help!

I managed to break that 2 gig threshold, but only after I turned on the iNumHWThreads=2 option. Word of warning with that though, saving with that option enabled will corrupt your saves. I tried turning it back off after I noticed a fps drop, and almost all my meshes wouldn't load and the game thought I was a child so I couldn't open any doors. I managed to get the game running perfectly by disabling all the threading options and just leaving iNumHWThreads=2 in my config file.

Frustrating stuff, but fun to figure out, thanks again

-Liam

Archived