Raising Offspring

Just a simple question I hope.

Do the SexOut offspring need to stay in the player inventory or equipped on the character to begin growing? I sort of had 1 of 2 stuffed in my backpack for a few game days before I noticed she coudl be equipped as a backpack (missing mesh). Rocket was carrying the other.

So just had to ask. Didnt want to stunt thier growth by leaving them in inventory or something.

They need to stay in your backpack. Do not equipt them as that can cause bugs to happen as well.

If you see them just don't touch them otherwise you could bug your game out.

Ok thanks for the heads up. Right now I have them sitting out in world space because I didnt know what to do with them. Thanks much!

It shouldn't matter whether you wear them' date=' keep them, or leave them on the ground, they should grow regardless.

[/quote']

Oh thank goodness. I often play a low STR character and 21 extra pounds of crying babies (3 total now) takes up a chunk of her availible carry weight LOL. Cool, I'll leave them with the maid then :)

Yea I had a weird bug where she'd get knocked up off of anything and her birth cycle was only a game day or two. She rolled into the NCRCF with just her dog. By time she finished the storyline, she walked out with a dog and kid....

It went away with a reinstall though, so no sweat there.

Got another couple baby-related questions. When there are a good number of offspring, and you get the "You have too many followers message", what actually happens?

Also, what is the best way to keep offspring in one place, without having to worry about them getting lost, getting in the way, being in the line of fire, etc.? I saw the offspring follow options, but it seems it may need a little fleshing out, considering some species are mobile from the moment of birth, and some aren't :P.

I appreciate any help you guys can give.:)

Got another couple baby-related questions. When there are a good number of offspring' date=' and you get the "You have too many followers message", what actually happens?

Also, what is the best way to keep offspring in one place, without having to worry about them getting lost, getting in the way, being in the line of fire, etc.? I saw the offspring follow options, but it seems it may need a little fleshing out, considering some species are mobile from the moment of birth, and some aren't :P.

I appreciate any help you guys can give.:)[/quote']

I've never played long enough to get the "Too Many Followers" message, how many is that? I think I have a mod from Nexus that increases my companion limit to 11, maybe that's why.

I'm not sure why some offspring behave differently than others, it's probably some silly setting I've missed in creating them.

What I've managed to do so far is turn the Lucky 38 into a nursery. I leave vanilla companions there to act as caretakers (never liked them much other than Veronica anyway). As my companions Willow, Melissa, Wendy, or Sunny get knocked up, I send them to the 38 to wait out the pregnancy and have the kid. Once I'm sure the kid is born and off her back (out of the backpack stage) I summon them via their radios, leaving the kids behind. I've got plenty of house mods, I never really liked the 38 "High Roller" suite anyway.

Important Note: Once you've picked a place to act as nursery, you can NEVER GO THERE AGAIN. Enter the room even once, the kids lock on and you will never be rid of them.

Important Note: Once you've picked a place to act as nursery' date=' you can NEVER GO THERE AGAIN. Enter the room even once, the kids lock on and you will never be rid of them.

[/quote']

It seems to me that it a simple package file could be made with a dialogue quest just for offspring by doing a simple condition check for the offspring form list, along with generic follow and sandbox package files. I've thought about doing this myself for my own game, but currently have my hands full with other things at the moment.

Important Note: Once you've picked a place to act as nursery' date=' you can NEVER GO THERE AGAIN. Enter the room even once, the kids lock on and you will never be rid of them.[/quote']

It seems to me that it a simple package file could be made with a dialogue quest just for offspring by doing a simple condition check for the offspring form list, along with generic follow and sandbox package files. I've thought about doing this myself for my own game, but currently have my hands full with other things at the moment.

Yeah, I've been hoping someone will get interested enough to do something with offspring, I just don't have the time or interest. They are in SCR, so they have nothing to do with Pregnancy after birth other than the Package settings which could be set by a plugin easily enough.

Yeah' date=' I've been hoping someone will get interested enough to do something with offspring, I just don't have the time or interest. They are in SCR, so they have nothing to do with Pregnancy after birth other than the Package settings which could be set by a plugin easily enough.

[/quote']

I created a simple plug-in that gives offspring dialogue and allows for several different things, including establishing a home marker any time. This isn't an exact science since the offspring have the same package files that are controlled in MCM, so trying to set conditions for individual offspring is out of the question. What I did do is when you tell an offspring to do something, a token is added to their inventory. The game then continually checks for the token and the current AI package running on that particular offspring and adds the package when the check doesn't pass. I'm testing it with four different offspring right now as I test what I am working on with the Kennel mod (heh, it's kind of funny running around the prison with four kids in tow). If it continues working as it has, I'll upload it to the download section. There is a lot more that can be done with it, but for now, it would be a good working option that is easier to use with than Companion Commander.

I created a simple plug-in that gives offspring dialogue and allows for several different things' date=' including establishing a home marker any time. This isn't an exact science since the offspring have the same package files that are controlled in MCM, so trying to set conditions for individual offspring is out of the question. What I did do is when you tell an offspring to do something, a token is added to their inventory. The game then continually checks for the token and the current AI package running on that particular offspring and adds the package when the check doesn't pass. I'm testing it with four different offspring right now as I test what I am working on with the Kennel mod (heh, it's kind of funny running around the prison with four kids in tow). If it continues working as it has, I'll upload it to the download section. There is a lot more that can be done with it, but for now, it would be a good working option that is easier to use with than Companion Commander.[/quote']

Hmm that's one way I hadn't considered, might be worth trying one day :)

Hmm that's one way I hadn't considered' date=' might be worth trying one day :)

[/quote']

I am going to go ahead and upload what I have as a WIP, because even though it is functional, it is not perfect. Should you ever decide to incorporate this into SCR, we can always mark it as obsolete or take it down from the site completely.

Hmm that's one way I hadn't considered' date=' might be worth trying one day :)[/quote']

I am going to go ahead and upload what I have as a WIP, because even though it is functional, it is not perfect. Should you ever decide to incorporate this into SCR, we can always mark it as obsolete or take it down from the site completely.

Sounds good, I'll check it out tommorrow :)

Hmm that's one way I hadn't considered' date=' might be worth trying one day :)[/quote']

Sounds good, I'll check it out tommorrow :)

That's provided I do get it up. I'm running another test on it to make sure I didn't break the growth script when I added to it. Sometimes the GECK gets weird on me. Editing my scripts and vanilla scripts, OK, but other peoples scripts... not so much. It's just weird.

That's provided I do get it up. I'm running another test on it to make sure I didn't break the growth script when I added to it. Sometimes the GECK gets weird on me. Editing my scripts and vanilla scripts' date=' OK, but other peoples scripts... not so much. It's just weird.[/quote']

No rush , I'm still wrestling with the birthing animation :)

OK, Halstrom, the file is up whenever you're ready to take a gander. You know, I am not sure if you actually have offspring added to the birth mother's form list (i.e. Cass, Veronica, Sunny, ect.), but if they were, it would be really easy to set it so that the player could have them follow their actual birth mother rather than the player.

Archived