DICE Afraid to Release Mod Tool " WTF are they stupid?"

Guest Lady Luck

Guest Lady Luck

Battlefield developer DICE has explained why it chose not to offer mod tools for last year's Battlefield 3. Speaking during a GDC Europe session this week attended by Gamasutra, DICE general manager Karl Magnus Troedsson said the studio was fearful of the potential implications.

Magnus Troedsson explained that DICE is aware that offering mod tools can help extend the life of a game like Battlefield 3. However, the company decided against it because it was "afraid of all the things that can come with releasing the code," including hacking exploits.

The developer also cited Battlefield 3 being a multiplatform release as a reason it chose not to make public mod tools. Magnus Troedsson said if DICE were to release mod tools, it would want to let console players in, too, and the studio was not prepared to do this.

"If we do mod support, we want to do it really, really well," he said. "We are not ready to do this yet."

DICE offered modding tools for Battlefield 3 predecessor Battlefield 2, which led to a range of offerings, including pirate and zombie mods.

Bottom line they are too lazy to do it. Typical.

As to modding directly leading to hacking exploits....ROFL!!! Please, hackers have already hacked the game and exploited things. Hackers do not need a tool set from DICE to hack the game. That is just a weak ass excuse for being too lazy to support mods.

The real reason is they don't want to spend the money to develop the server side resources to eliminate ubber weapons and that sort of thing. If they had at least one brain cell between them, they could release a tool set geared toward folks doing the same things as BF 2. I guess they just don't want to extend the life of their game.

I guess they just don't want to extend the life of their game.

With Call of Duty 14 on the way, they are probably working on Battlefield 2143 followed By Bad Company 3 Vietnam 2

... people will still buy your new games, even if a large amount of players still enjoy your old ones.

... the danger is that the old game will be more fresh in their mind, and find the sequel sub par... except in the Battlefield games, it's not all that different.

I guess they just don't want to extend the life of their game.

With Call of Duty 14 on the way' date=' they are probably working on Battlefield 2143 followed By Bad Company 3 Vietnam 2

... people will still buy your new games, even if a large amount of players still enjoy your old ones.

... the danger is that the old game will be more fresh in their mind, and find the sequel sub par... except in the Battlefield games, it's not all that different.

[/quote']

Another excellent point. Once they have sold you the product at 49.99 or more, they don't give a crap about it or you anymore.

This is indicative of EA's pop out a new version of something every year. With a new release every year they have almost no incentive to care if folks are still playing the old games.

If I remember correctly, the original BS they gave was that the modtools were too complicated for end users to use. Just your typical corporate BS that dulls the senses nowadays, on par with "creation engine is brand new" and whatever drivel that comes out of todd the liar's and his ilks' mouths.

It's so common these days it doesn't even register a blip on the indignation radar. What's surprising is that drooling fanboys and drones still parrot the company line to the death, even after the 100000000th buttrape.

Lol I'm not even sure why they would bring this up now, battlefield 4 isn't that far away.

honestly they would have to seriously love this game to release mod tools so long after release. I know other companies have been generous with mod tools in the past , and in some cases even source-code has been released, but my god this is EA were on about here... if they're not making a quick buck, they're not interested.

Guest Lady Luck

the reason why bf 3 doesnt have any mod support its the patch its over 1gb they afraid if they released the mod tool it will break the patch that is why bf3 remain vanilla however texmod ruled the day :D

Archived