Origin vs. Steam version? Awesomemod vs NRaas?

NNS10

If I want to get into modding TS3, there are 3 platforms for the game: (1) EA Origin, (2) Steam, (3) Old disc copy. The old disc copies don't seem to be sold anymore, so that leaves EA Origin vs. Steam.

Which is the preferred platform mod users are playing the game on? It seems EA Origin is on v1.69 while Steam is on v1.67, and I've read reports of mod incompatibility with v1.69. Are most mod users playing on the steam version?

As for the core mods, which is preferred--Awesomemod or NRaas core? I'm also not sure what the NRaas core mod is besides ErrorTrap. And does Awesomemod work with the steam version? NRaas ErrorTrap seems to suggest there was a difference between the Origin and Steam version even on v1.67 (link).

Awesomemod also claims TS3 has a lot of telemetry and that the mod stops it. That's a big draw and I'm not sure if NRaas also does that.

9 minutes ago, nanashi50 said:

Which is the preferred platform mod users are playing the game on? It seems EA Origin is on v1.69 while Steam is on v1.67, and I've read reports of mod incompatibility with v1.69. Are most mod users playing on the steam version?

Steam is better. The Origin version has shitty new launcher that fucks up a lot and keeps unchecking the EP's and SP's for some people fucking up their Save Game when they load it without an EP or SP they had been using.

9 minutes ago, nanashi50 said:

As for the core mods, which is preferred--Awesomemod or NRaas core? I'm also not sure what the NRaas core mod is besides ErrorTrap. And does Awesomemod work with the steam version? NRaas ErrorTrap seems to suggest there was a difference between the Origin and Steam version even on v1.67

The only Nraas core mod you would be using is ErrorTrap. Yes Awesome works with Steam last I knew. Yes there is difference in game version numbers even though the games are exactly the same Steam uses it own numbers for the game builds. Core mods are Patch level (and game build) specific.

If you plan on allowing teen/adult relationships don't get Awesome it's programmed to CTD the game if a teen and adult try to woohoo not mention the Pedobait and Pedobear traits which can fuck up a sims life permanently.

16 minutes ago, nanashi50 said:

Awesomemod also claims TS3 has a lot of telemetry and that the mod stops it. That's a big draw and I'm not sure if NRaas also does that.

That's only on the disc version and when the old EADM was being used that was stopped and removed after EA switched to Origin.

For EA games Origin is way more updated than Steam. Same for UPlay.

I once bought Watch Dogs 2 on Steam. It was never updated to the latest release. And was not working well.

At the end I bought the one on UPlay. And it worked in a perfect way and updated every time.

12 minutes ago, CPU said:

For EA games Origin is way more updated than Steam.

Not for the Sims 3 it isn't. The recommendation of the Sims 3 modders that were still active was not to get patch 1.69 if you could avoid it and switch to Steam as the Steam version does play better. 

I have the Sims 3 on 3 different computers a Disc install on one, a Steam install on another and an Origin install on another. The best one is the disc install followed by  the Steam install.

I'm also a former Sims 3 modder trust me the Origin version is not the one you want.

1 minute ago, namaradus said:

Not for the Sims 3 it isn't. The recommendation the Sims 3 modders that were still active was not to get patch 1.69 if you could avoid it and switch to Steam as the Steam version does play better. 

I have the Sims 3 on 3 different computers a Disc install on one, a Steam install on another and an Origin install on another. The best one is the disc install followed by  the Steam install.

I'm also a former Sims 3 modder trust me the Origin version is not the one you want.

I trust you on this.

I had mostly problem with Steam vs Uplay. Not really Origin.

Just now, CPU said:

I trust you on this.

I had mostly problem with Steam vs Uplay. Not really Origin.

I had a lot of problems with Steam and Uplay too. 

21 minutes ago, namaradus said:

Steam is better. The Origin version has shitty new launcher that fucks up a lot and keeps unchecking the EP's and SP's for some people fucking up their Save Game when they load it without an EP or SP they had been using.

The only Nraas core mod you would be using is ErrorTrap. Yes Awesome works with Steam last I knew. Yes there is difference in game version numbers even though the games are exactly the same Steam uses it own numbers for the game builds. Core mods are Patch level (and game build) specific.

If you plan on allowing teen/adult relationships don't get Awesome it's programmed to CTD the game if a teen and adult try to woohoo not mention the Pedobait and Pedobear traits which can fuck up a sims life permanently.

That's only on the disc version and when the old EADM was being used that was stopped and removed after EA switched to Origin.

Thanks for confirming AM works on the steam version. I don't plan on the my sims having those kinds of relationships so AM is not an issue for me. Thanks for clarifying the telemetry piece, but I thought the EA Download Manager was a separate program. How would AM affect that? Or was TS3 collecting stuff and sending it to EADM?

Overall would you recommend AM or NRaas (considering I do not plan to use it for the problem cases you mentioned)? AM seems like an all-in-one that fixes a lot of things. Are there NRaas equivalents? I do want to use some NRaas mods to handle the stuff AM doesn't do, but it's hard to tell which NRaas mods AM already takes care of.

5 minutes ago, namaradus said:

What's different between the disc install and Steam install (aside from platform)? Is there something about the steam install's stability that makes the disc install better?

1 hour ago, nanashi50 said:

EA Download Manager was a separate program. How would AM affect that? Or was TS3 collecting stuff and sending it to EADM

It was a game client similar to Origin and Steam it had it's own tie in to the game and yes it was collecting data so they could decide how to develop their products based on how the user base played their games. Awesome simply severed the tie in.

But it was also optional you didn't have to have it. It made it easier to patch your game as without it you'd have to do it manually which was better anyway so you could avoid a bad patch or wait until the mods got updated to the new patch.

Overall would you recommend AM or NRaas

Nraas is more flexible and has more fixes than Awesome and Nraas mods are still actively being improved Awesome not so much these days. I would choose Nraas.

With Nraas you can remove their mods with no problems from an ongoing game (except for Traveler that one you can't and Careers has a special way it has to be done) whereas Awesome is a far reaching core mod and you can't just take it out there is a lot you'd have to do to before you can remove it from an ongoing game cause if you don't do all the steps to remove it your Saved Game will end up broken.

What's different between the disc install and Steam install (aside from platform)? Is there something about the steam install's stability that makes the disc install better?

The disc install plays better because it doesn't have a game client running in the background dragging down game performance. But Steam is so light weight the difference is negligible you just don't have to deal with logins and if your internet goes out long enough for the Steam applets to expire you can't play until you refresh those.

1 hour ago, namaradus said:

Nraas is more flexible and has more fixes than Awesome and Nraas mods are still actively being improved Awesome not so much these days. I would choose Nraas.

With Nraas you can remove their mods with no problems from an ongoing game (except for Traveler that one you can't and Careers has a special way it has to be done) whereas Awesome is a far reaching core mod and you can't just take it out there is a lot you'd have to do to before you can remove it from an ongoing game cause if you don't do all the steps to remove it your Saved Game will end up broken.

To replace AM functionality, which NRaas mods are needed? AM has a bunch of bug fixes (see here), and it's not clear which (if any) NRaas mods can do the same thing.

13 minutes ago, nanashi50 said:

To replace AM functionality, which NRaas mods are needed? AM has a bunch of bug fixes (see here), and it's not clear which (if any) NRaas mods can do the same thing.

I know all about Awesome Mods bug fixes I've used to mod this game and have played it since 2010.

This is just from Error Trap alone https://web.archive.org/web/20180222050942/http://nraas.wikispaces.com/ErrorTrap Revision Notes

Nraas had to move from their old site cause Wikispaces was shutting down so their current site doesn't have all the information they used too but they are working on getting it all back. They didn't get much time to move and a lot of there pages didn't transfer over correctly.

Over Watch https://web.archive.org/web/20180302213010/http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Overwatch Revision Notes

All their mods have bug fixes related to what functions the mod controls.

You asked for my option and I gave you the best one take it or leave it your choice.

To replace AM functionality, which NRaas mods are needed?

hey, Nanashi-San,

both Mods are great, but they abide to two different philosophies — so to say.
NRaas is a modular suite, meaning you can implement different modules to your gaming as you play or need. both have their own version of Story Progression; yet, most users prefer NRaas over Awesome in this area.

i have both Mods installed, and after a lot of trial and error experiences, haven't in a long time ran into any issues. but it's not advisable; even though it is said that Pescado and Twallan shared information so to ensure Mods compatibility, they do conflict if not tuned. for example: if you use NRaas' Story Progression module, you need to turn Awesome's Story Progression feature off.
one point pro NRaas: it's still being improved — although slower after Twallan's retirement.

if you Google "Differences Between Awesome and NRaas," you'll get some rather interesting views.
people are quite particular when asked about MATY — AM's site. i quote a user from The Sims forum; "Another thing is, that if you decide to go with Awesome and try to get help on MATY, get ready to be humiliated, ridiculed, insulted, stepped on, spit on and left for dead in a ditch. Internet induced suicide starts there. Don't say I didn't warn you."
pretty heavy, but that's how people feel.

now; trying to answer your question: at least Story Progression and Master Controller. Woohooer would be a good module to have installed, as well as Overwatch, Error Trap, and Careers. @namaradus will probably give you a more complete answer.

i hope this helps.

cheers, Nanashi-San.

edit: namaradus had already answered.

36 minutes ago, namaradus said:

I know all about Awesome Mods bug fixes I've used to mod this game and have played it since 2010.

This is just from Error Trap alone https://web.archive.org/web/20180222050942/http://nraas.wikispaces.com/ErrorTrap Revision Notes

Over Watch https://web.archive.org/web/20180302213010/http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Overwatch Revision Notes

22 minutes ago, ZenBuddhist said:

now; trying to answer your question: at least Story Progression and Master Controller. Woohooer would be a good module to have installed, as well as Overwatch, Error Trap, and Careers. @namaradus will probably give you a more complete answer.

Thanks, think both of those answered my questions on what I was wondering about. Probably will go with NRaas.

1 hour ago, ZenBuddhist said:

when asked about MATY — AM's site. i quote a user from The Sims forum; "Another thing is, that if you decide to go with Awesome and try to get help on MATY, get ready to be humiliated, ridiculed, insulted, stepped on, spit on and left for dead in a ditch.

And that's only if they like you. You don't want to see what happens if they don't.

Archived